Walking Backwards

Pretty Miss Emma

Nana Gem is the newest addition to my household. She's a 14.5 year old BC.

I've noticed recently that she does a lot of shuffling backwards. As in she will be up and possibly about to walk around somewhere and she shuffles backwards for several steps.

I'm not overly concerned about it I just find it interesting and don't understand why she does it!!!

If anyone has ideas on what she is doing I'd love to hear them as I'm just curious now. I do wonder if it is something to do with her getting more comfortable in our house (she's been here 3 months now). Oh and she does have some issues with her vision, and she has very little hearing - I guess this may contribute to this trait.

It may be something she was taught & highly reinforced in her past life. My guys do a lot of walking backwards, when they think it might earn them a treat :)

I had considered this. I just wish she'd do it when I need her to!!! She's lucky she's so loved, she's the only one who gets walked around and over when she's in the way, everyone else has to move themselves!!!

Is she only shuffling her front into her rear, she she is standing more under herself, ie trying to remove some of the weight off her sore elbows/shoulders/front feet onto her rear?

No it's her whole body. She's literally just walking backwards! She just lies down if she needs to relieve the weight! That's why I find it interesting as it's just a backwards shuffle!

It may be something she was taught & highly reinforced in her past life. My guys do a lot of walking backwards, when they think it might earn them a treat :)

I had considered this. I just wish she'd do it when I need her to!!! She's lucky she's so loved, she's the only one who gets walked around and over when she's in the way, everyone else has to move themselves!!!

This is my guess. Maybe you could put it on cue, after all it is a very good exercise for her & I always teach my dogs to use their rear end :)