Best Flea And Heartworm Prevention

Happy New Year everyone!

I'm after suggestions on what flea and heartworm prevention you all use on your dogs, whether you recommend it and where the cheapest online place to buy them is. I cannot remember what site I used to buy from when I had dogs last.

Thanks!

Edited by White Shepherd mom

I use valuheart for heartworm and dose every 6 weeks. I use a simple spoton for fleas when needed. i.e did them all recently when one was going into kennels. I only use single use chemicals, that only do one job. I don't believe in using multichemicals in one go when some may not even be needed. I just google and go for the cheapest place at the time.

Cheapest places I've found are either budgetpetproducts, stefmar or oveds. I rotate between the 3 usually depending on their specials etc and shipping (they often have free shipping). Occasionally I do a search of some of the other places but these 3 are consistently cheaper than the others.

I use interceptor for intestinal and heart worms. Will be using Bravecto from next month for flea and tick

I generally just look for specials online and go with what ever is cheapest.

Edited by LisaCC

I found a flea on Bosco late yesterday and dashed down to the nearest vet - $421 later for 4 packets of Comfortis for 3 dogs and 2 cats !!!!!!

This is the first time we have had fleas for at least 10 years so I was very surprised at the cost. But I have enough now to treat them for a couple of months.

Panoramis for Heartworm and Flea = VetnPetDirect,The Vet Shed or Pet Circle which ever is best for you ??? Google….?

Bravecto for Tick and Flea = VetnPetDirect, The Vet Shed or Pet Circle which ever is best for you ??? Google…..?

All round worm tablet from vets for the other worms. We got the first lots from vets then bought in bulk from Pet Circle, but can't remember name. Sorry.

Hope this helps ? :)

in summer interceptor for worms and heartworms, Advantix for paralytic ticks (and fleas). Advantix works also as a mosquito (carrier for heartworm larve) repellent which gives some advantage over Nextgard and Bravecto, downside is that it is very dangerous for cats so if there are also cats in the household Nextgard or Bravecto might be the better choice. Nextgard and Bravecto is also much easier to administer as it is a chew - Advantix has to be applied topical and works only reliable against paralytic ticks if applied every 2 weeks while Nextgard last a month and Bravecto even 3 month.

The development of heartworm requires a longer period of temperature above 14 deg C - 1 night where the temp. drops below the 14 deg C interrupts the cycle, hence in winter I don't administer interceptor and use Canex as a dewormer.

I buy online - some research before you buy can save quite some $$$ as the prices always change.

I noticed that in other countries you can buy Nexgard Spectra, which comprises besides Afoxolaner also Milbemycin Oxime. Milbemycin Oxime is the ingredient in Interceptor against heartworms.

Any ideas why it is not sold in Australia?

ETA:...both are owned by Novartis ...more $$ for having to buy both drugs to address heartworm and ticks?

Edited by Willem

Thank you for all the suggestions everyone, you're very helpful smile.gif It's interesting to note that everyone seems to use something different!

I used to use Heartgard Plus and Advantix for my two dogs in the past.

I will have a look at all the websites you provided and pick something accordingly.

Your help is greatly appreciated thumbsup1.gif