Anti Barking Collar

I have a five year old Lapphund who is just about perfect. Just one problem..... Her barking! It goes right through you and she uses her voice very loudly as I get the dogs meals ready. I've tried but living in a multi dog household it's just been beyond me to stop the behaviour. I've been considering getting an anti barking collar to try. Any suggestions or recommendations please?

:) Why not prepare meals when dogs are outside /asleep /shut in another room ? Then pop them in fridge or wherever ... doing it like that may just cut down on all that anticipatory excitement/noise.

if my dogs bark .. they get nothing ;)

I also never prepare food with dogs watching ....

:) Why not prepare meals when dogs are outside /asleep /shut in another room ? Then pop them in fridge or wherever ... doing it like that may just cut down on all that anticipatory excitement/noise.

Her hearing is amazing so no way I could do it without her knowing. Plus the Cavs all need snooding and crating and in the time I do this she's yelling her head off. The only way to stop her is to spray her with the water spray but the moment I put it down shes off again.

Her hearing is amazing so no way I could do it without her knowing. Plus the Cavs all need snooding and crating and in the time I do this she's yelling her head off. The only way to stop her is to spray her with the water spray but the moment I put it down shes off again.

I hear you! Had a couple of Lappies in my class and wow do they like the sound of their own voice :laugh:

Away from dinner time can I suggest you try a crating exercise whereby you throw a sheet over the crate if she makes a noise and remove the sheet, wait, then drop treats through the crate when she's quiet. Be sure not to chain a bark, sheet on, sheet off, treat scenario. You might need to pretend to make dinner to get her worked up - slow steps. I do this with my dogs as they go BONKERS when I'm training another dog otherwise. Many dogs will bark through a citronella collar if they are highly aroused. At dinner time could you put her outside with a pre-prepared meal whilst you train an appropriate behaviour? Pre-prepare the meal the night before.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

If mine bark, they don't get fed, pretty soon they learn to keep their pre dinner excitement quiet. But that would be hard with a dog who has a habit of yelling and been fed.

My experience with bark collars is unless you get a really strong one, they will still bark a bit while excited, they are much better for nuisance barking than excitement barking.

If it were me, I would not feed her at the same time as the others. Prepare all the meals and put the lappies meal in the fridge for later, as soon as the barking starts shut her away in another room at the other end of the house, feed your other dogs and let her back out once all the food is done. Then pick a time later when she is quiet and being good and give her food then as a surprise. After awhile you preparing food wont be so exciting anymore and the barking will hopefully stop, at that time you can give her meal at the same time as the others, but only if she is quiet, if the barking starts again shut her away and feed later on again.

Can you try putting a lead on her and standing on it. I find that the barking is usually assisted by the bouncing and if I can reduce the moving then the barking will also diminish slightly. That being said Pix did not read that memo.

She has improved since she has learnt to put herself in the crate (open the door herself then sit in the back). Crate games might help with the self control needed.

Thanks there are some good ideas. We're off on holidays in a few weeks and a friend will be staying to look after them. I won't be able to achieve much before we go so will try when we get back. I was hoping the collar would be a quick fix but it's not sounding like it.

Can you try putting a lead on her and standing on it. I find that the barking is usually assisted by the bouncing and if I can reduce the moving then the barking will also diminish slightly. That being said Pix did not read that memo.

She has improved since she has learnt to put herself in the crate (open the door herself then sit in the back). Crate games might help with the self control needed.

Oh yes the bark definitely goes with the bounce and the mad race around :laugh: I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Fairly similar scenario, my sister had a miniature pig who developed a habit of squealing when his food was being prepared, mostly because my sister would feed him in the morning before she left for work, so didn't have the time to try to modify his behaviour.

I didn't start work til late morning, so I took over feeding him in the mornings and all I did was every time he started squealing, I would put the knife down (chopping veggies) and walk away. I didn't say a word to him or acknowledge him or his behaviour in any way at all. Once he was quiet for 3 or 4 minutes, I would go back and continue. The first couple of times I fed him that way, it took over an hour and a half for him to get his food. He didn't understand what was going on, so actually escalated the squealing when I first walked away, but after only 3 days or so the penny dropped, and from then on it was a case of him trying to control his excitement.

Because you have multiple dogs, if possible, maybe get the others taken out for a walk so you can feed her on her own at first to try to get a handle on her barking? I wouldn't think it would take more than a couple of days for her to at least start to grasp the concept of barking = no food/no barking = tasty dinnertimes.

Fairly similar scenario, my sister had a miniature pig who developed a habit of squealing when his food was being prepared, mostly because my sister would feed him in the morning before she left for work, so didn't have the time to try to modify his behaviour.

I didn't start work til late morning, so I took over feeding him in the mornings and all I did was every time he started squealing, I would put the knife down (chopping veggies) and walk away. I didn't say a word to him or acknowledge him or his behaviour in any way at all. Once he was quiet for 3 or 4 minutes, I would go back and continue. The first couple of times I fed him that way, it took over an hour and a half for him to get his food. He didn't understand what was going on, so actually escalated the squealing when I first walked away, but after only 3 days or so the penny dropped, and from then on it was a case of him trying to control his excitement.

Because you have multiple dogs, if possible, maybe get the others taken out for a walk so you can feed her on her own at first to try to get a handle on her barking? I wouldn't think it would take more than a couple of days for her to at least start to grasp the concept of barking = no food/no barking = tasty dinnertimes.

Unfortunately no I can't get the others out. Its a good idea. This morning didn't go as planned. I'd left a lead on the bowls ready to try that. She'd had an upset tummy so after cleaning her up it was no breakfast for her. So her barking certainly didn't pay off this time. Might be a good way to start actually :laugh: I'm not in the good books, hosing her then no breakfast. I'm a cruel, cruel woman!

OMG I've just fed the dogs without Vienna barking! Jumabaar I put the lead on her just as I started snooding the Cavs, crated the Cavs, prepared their meals, asked her to sit, removed lead and put her tea down. Amazing! How did I not put the bounce and the bark together? Thanks :D I suspect the excitement might start to kick in a bit earlier but if it does I'll stop preparations.

Wow- it proves how much the barking and bouncing is genetic!! :laugh:

Now for the update when she outsmarts you somehow.... :bolt:

:angeldevil: :angeldevil: :angeldevil:

She will I have no doubt :laugh:

She did one woof this morning as I was preparing but I reminded her of the lead and she stopped immediately. It's so much nicer without the noise. :)