Dog Clippers

Ptolomy

My Andis clippers have died. They cost me $175 and they were next to useless. They were only used to trim around wounds/hotspots and the occasional neat and trim, so they definitely weren't overworked and they were only 2 years old.

So I am looking at purchasing some new clippers. The local shop has Oster A5 and A6 (which feel nicer to hold) and also Wahl Km10. I want something that I can rely on to work when I need them (a bit like my Honda Whipper Snipper thumbsup1.gif). I have duck dogs, so a medium coat with undercoat.

What is your recommendation for clippers.

My favourite clippers are the Heiniger cordless clippers. Absolutely love them, they're not cheap though...

I've never much liked oster and wahl clippers, I just don't find them comfortable to use.

I've had my heiniger clippers for about 2 years now, they get used very regularly for my work and they're still going strong as ever, haven't even had to replace the lever yet.

Edited by maddogdodge

I didn't like the feel of the Oster A5 and I posted the same question on FB and got a lot of local responses. A couple of friends also recommended the Heiniger cordless clippers. There are 2 different types and yep both are pricey $655 and $395.

I am reluctant to even look at the Andis ones again - but I will go and have a look at the Andis 2 speed pro - to see what they say.

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

I have Wahl SS clippers and am very happy with them. These are my second set, the first lasted about 8 years. I clip two toy poodles about every two weeks and tidy up (not a full clip) Standard Schnauzer every six weeks or so.

My favourite clippers are the Heiniger cordless clippers. Absolutely love them, they're not cheap though...

I've never much liked oster and andis clippers, I just don't find them comfortable to use.

I've had my heiniger clippers for about 2 years now, they get used very regularly for my work and they're still going strong as ever, haven't even had to replace the lever yet.

I second the Heiniger cordless as well, just love them, I have corded clippers but never use them anymore. Plus the battery seems to last for ever

1451807204[/url]' post='6777635']

Cat - can you remember what you paid for them? I see with a case they are now $185 - I am not sure if that is a good price or not

Not really, it was a couple of years ago. I kinda think it was more like $165 but it was during a sale.

Thanks Cat - so they haven't gone up that much.

Mich13 I like the sound of the Heiniger cordless and you are the forth person to recommend them - but they come with a hefty pricetag and the blades were $80+ each. While they sound perfect, its hard to justify for the handful of times a year that I would use them. Now if I won lotto - my mindset would change smile.gif

Thanks Cat - so they haven't gone up that much.

Mich13 I like the sound of the Heiniger cordless and you are the forth person to recommend them - but they come with a hefty pricetag and the blades were $80+ each. While they sound perfect, its hard to justify for the handful of times a year that I would use them. Now if I won lotto - my mindset would change smile.gif

Yeah if you're only using them a handful of times a year then it's a lot of money. I've heard good things about the Wahl KM2.

I don't use Heiniger blades ( even though they're amazing) because they cost so much. I use Wahl blades... I hate Oster blades and tolerate Andis ones, but Wahl are my favourites. Most clippers will take any brand of blade, some may just wear out the lever a bit faster, but the levers are pretty cheap to replace so it's not really an issue.

I've never much liked oster and wahl clippers, I just don't find them comfortable to use.

I've had myHeiniger clippers for about 2 years now, they get used very regularly for my work and they're still going strong as ever, haven't even had to replace the lever yet.

I too love my Heiniger cordless. I don't use them a lot but they have made my work - clipping one or two dogs a few times a year so much easier and quicker. I think they have been well worth the initial cost - $360 from Clipperworld a couple of years ago.

They don't get hot and I was able to use my Oster blades on them. And of course they are purple so must be goodlaugh.gif

I went to order the Wahl Clippers last night and postage was $41+ to WA - I nearly fell over. So will give it some more thought and do a bit more research.

The special cordless purple clippers postage is only $20 - from a different place of course

I hate making decisions confused.gif

and there is a groomers group? nooooooooooooooooooooooo - do I need to join or is it for professional groomers?

Edited by Ptolomy

I had some cordless/corded Sheer Magic clippers that were pretty good for trimming etc. I originally used them on horses so they got used and abused a fair bit. You don't have the blade changing options on them though but use plastic combs which are a bit dodgy. I would get them again for trimming up the border collies. I did do a full clip on my old border collie using them and they did the job.

I got some smaller trimmers and they are really too small.

Do you have a Horseland near you? They sell clippers. Might help with postage. From memory they sell the usual brands.

Took the plunge and ordered the Wahl clippers. They are the ones my vet uses. I ended up getting them from ebay with free postage - $9 dearer than the cheapest place I could get them on line - the same place that wanted to charge the huge postage cost thumbsup1.gif

Thanks for all your assistance - it's much appreciated

• 1 month later...

Took the plunge and ordered the Wahl clippers. They are the ones my vet uses. I ended up getting them from ebay with free postage - $9 dearer than the cheapest place I could get them on line - the same place that wanted to charge the huge postage cost thumbsup1.gif

Thanks for all your assistance - it's much appreciated

How are you liking them? Have you used them yet?

These are the ones I was looking at getting (potentially even from the same eBay seller!) but found a lovely lady selling a brand-new pair with an additional blade (#5) that I would've needed to purchase for $150 total. Seems like an okay price, so I'm going for it