Blood Donation

Lucky-Dog

Hello one and all,

A couple of weeks before Christmas, " She who must be obeyed " took Digger and Honey to our vets for their arthritis shots ( contrfin or whatever it's called ). Anyway she sees a sign for volantary blood donation for dogs and adds Luckys name as he fits all requirements. So we get a call on the 27th December about 19:00hrs from local Emergency Vet if Lucky is available to donate blood as they had a Terrier type dog that was not responding to medication and need a blood transfusion for clotting purposes. We said yes and took him up there.

We arrive and fill out some paper work and then reluctantly leave him for a couple of hours. " She who must be obeyed " picks him up as I had to work the next day and wakes me upon returning home that Lucky was a superstar. So well behaved and the receiving dog responded well to transfusion. She called the next day and the dog was recovering well and expected to make a full recovery. So our Luck is a true Lifesaver. They said to keep him quiet for a few days but he was the same loveable dog the next morning and didn't miss a beat.

Has anyones else or their dogs donated blood ???? :) :) :) :)

My greyhounds used to donate.They've passed away and my current dogs are too small to donate now.

They always got spoiled after donating, I figured they deserved it after saving a life.

One of my greys, Jelly, has donated several times for emergencies at a couple of different clinics. The procedure itself doesn't seem to bother her and she usually scores herself a treat of some sort.