Don't Think I Could ....

persephone

yes, I know it has become necessary for urban dogs to not bark much/if at all. ...

Living here, with our largeish pack of beasts is a noisy existence ;) luckily the neighbours are far enough away to not worry ...plus they have their own 'choir' ..and by listening at night to THEIR voices, we know if there's anyone at home, whether there are roos invading , or if they have guests ...

There is SUCH a diversity in vocalisations- a whole long conversation happening continuously ....

from the 'bored'-or 'The Boss has taken xyZ& T out working - why can't we go? to the different barks for different animals spotted nearby ...sheep, emus, roos, foxes... yes, and magpies!

I can sit inside , and have a fair idea of what's happening ( or not) around the house/ dog personal space ( about 350 mtrs diameter)

is the pet sheep munching fruit trees, or are there roos in the yard? Does a dog have a shingleback lizard bailed up ..or is it an echidna ?

maybe that was a 'SNAKE" bark ?

Is there a vehicle driving past , several hundred mtrs away ..or have they turned into our drive? is it someone we(the dogs) know?

Is that a tourist walking along the clifftop over 300 mtrs away?

Is there a gunshot somewhere ?

Has someone got a flea/mozzie problem ?

is someone coming in season?

Are the maggies scrounging dog food?

is there a bit too much rough& tumble , and is someone acting as referee?

At sunset, if The Boss isn't home ..there is usually a fairly dedicated howl session.

When some of the dogs have been with the boss , working away for several days/a week .. and everyone comes home , there is much howling/barking , etc as everyone settles back into the pack ...

Must admit to being very used to it ..and miss the conversation when everything's still!!

Arrooooooooooooo ;)

Edited by persephone

I miss having a "pack" it's so quiet at home now with only the two dogs it's almost unbearable! Without Coop he used to lead the pack, he'd bark they all bark. Lacy and Bronson are really confused at times as to what their roles are. I guess it will take time to get used to it.

Pers, I bet you get worried when there is complete silence?

I miss having a "pack" it's so quiet at home now with only the two dogs it's almost unbearable! Without Coop he used to lead the pack, he'd bark they all bark. Lacy and Bronson are really confused at times as to what their roles are. I guess it will take time to get used to it.

Pers, I bet you get worried when there is complete silence?

Unless it's REALLY hot - yes!! it feels weird , and I wonder who's gone missing or is ill !! ;)

My dogs are really quiet, they really only bark a liitle bit in play, whinge a little bit if feeling left out, or alarm bark if something really really out of place happens. It is part of what I really love about them. I couldn't tolerate noisiness.

TOTALLY get what you are saying......but this morning I'd be happy to give it a shot. ;)

Ha, ha!! yep :)

Earlier..it suddenly got very quiet ...Don had taken some of the youngsters for a trot along the cliffs and down to the river.... they also found our current visitors, and had a wonderful time playing !!

Oops ..Don is now asleep under the table .....

It probably depends on the extent and type of barking too - my lot will alarm bark or sometimes bark and yip when playing - the latter is quite funny, a bit like the lovely kids next door who play and laugh and sing on the trampoline. The constant alarm or boredom barking is a whole other story.

I guess , working in kennels for around 15 yrs ..then moving to the bush with dog communications happening all the time - I do find it odd to be around silent doggies :o

As I sit here now , I know The Boss has left a worker behind ...the pups are playing , and someone is very annoyed at the apostlebirds who fly in &out ... I also know the sheep is up asleep in the shed , and there is no unusual activity anywhere close by :)

When Bob and Molly died my home was so quiet with just Gilly.

But now its noisy and I like that, I hate when Cedro escapes but to hear him sing when he is chasing a scent is wonderful.

Ive seen vids of a pack of Fauves singing as they chased a scent its a wonderful sound.

Different than normal dog barks.

My Fauves have different barks for different things and a song always welcomes me when I come home. :D

Happiest day was when my rescue dog barked ???? knew she felt at home then!

Friends adopted a gorgeous rescue tibbie, Zou Chai. For months, he didn't utter a sound. Then, one Friday night, the family was sitting around eating pizza. Suddenly, there was one percing, loud bark. The family got such a fright, that pieces of pizza flew up in the air. It was Zou Chai wanting some pizza , too. That's when they knew he now considered himself 'family'.

Loved your post, persephone! :)

Happiest day was when my rescue dog barked ???? knew she felt at home then!

Friends adopted a gorgeous rescue tibbie, Zou Chai. For months, he didn't utter a sound. Then, one Friday night, the family was sitting around eating pizza. Suddenly, there was one percing, loud bark. The family got such a fright, that pieces of pizza flew up in the air. It was Zou Chai wanting some pizza , too. That's when they knew he now considered himself 'family'.

Loved your post, persephone! :)

ha!! cute story, mita .

I like purposeful barking or dog sounds. But dogs that bark out of boredom or from anxiety and their owners don't seem to know or care stress me out. I can imagine how I'd feel if I was so riled up I felt the need to yell incessantly for hours so figure dogs must be feeling just as worked up. I've also had fosters who never barked and all of a sudden when they did it was woah, where did that come from? Tempeh (pei) has a very deep bark for how she looks. Took me a while to get used to it. She's always been a noisy thing and has a myriad of different sounds she makes to let us know what's going on. If she was ever quiet I'd probably panic. Because Wolf is a husky cross she is a big woo-wooer but poor Stussy (SBT) has no talking skills and is it very funny to see her try given how vocal the other two can be. The best she can manage when really excited is a trillish high pitched yawn or some heavy breathing. A bit embarrassing really.

My dogs are really quiet, they really only bark a liitle bit in play, whinge a little bit if feeling left out, or alarm bark if something really really out of place happens. It is part of what I really love about them. I couldn't tolerate noisiness.

This.

I could not live with a noisy dog.

I hear my neighbour's one and wonder how they can live with the constant barking.

Sasha my Kelpie is quite vocal.. But she will stop when I give her a quick sssh noise, that's her cue to stop. She has this annoying habit when I'm about to sneeze she will bark and bark again when I sneeze, with a concerned look on her face.. She doesn't do it to anyone else.

Lacey only barks if someone is walking past with their dog.. But is quickly sushed. They don't bark incessantly though, that would drive me nuts.