Don't Think I Could ....

persephone

I fear I would slowly go nuts, persephone! XD

I cannot stand constant barking without reason (in my books, possums, roos, cats, people passing by...none of those are good reason! Someone coming up the driveway is, but lets not carry on). Probably a carryover from my brother's dog who would bark ALL NIGHT and MORNING under my bedroom window, giving me little sleep. I have quite a dislike for it in my house now XD

One had a neighbour with a big lab who would bark and bark and bark. My housemate and I were both doing graveyard shifts so we had to ask them to shush him. They did train it out of him eventually, whew! :)

I find I much prefer the quieter noises of them eating/drinking/wagging/snuffling/walking around. I consider myself lucky that I seem to have gotten a naturally quiet dog with a big heavy thumpy tail :laugh:

and I also live in the city now, so the quieter the better. I am impressed at how few dogs around here are barking constantly, barring New Years Eve.

Edited by Thistle the dog

our 4 aren't particularly noisy, only bark with good reason but I know what you mean Perse. They have near 2 acres to free range and I think that helps, little need for useless noise, just comunication.

Listening to the sounds of the farm can tell you so much of whats happening in our little world. Even the magpies and chooks once you are tuned in! Kinda neat being able to sit at the kitchen table and know theres a Goanna 50 metres from the chook yard, or an eagle circling without having to step out side.

our 4 aren't particularly noisy, only bark with good reason but I know what you mean Perse. They have near 2 acres to free range and I think that helps, little need for useless noise, just comunication.

Listening to the sounds of the farm can tell you so much of whats happening in our little world. Even the magpies and chooks once you are tuned in! Kinda neat being able to sit at the kitchen table and know theres a Goanna 50 metres from the chook yard, or an eagle circling without having to step out side.

yes, exactly :) it's certainly not 24 hr noise :)

Make no mistake Scottie is far from silent.

As I type he's in his crate (door open) muttering away to himself about .... dog only knows. He's had off leash and some conditioning today so he's in a tired happy state.

He was dreaming earlier too - lots of little whimpers and puppy woofs.

He usually grumbles, mutters, "purrs" where ever he is. And the 'whack' his tail makes when its wagging and hitting the floor or what ever he's sleeping on. Then there's the tapping of toes and the squeaking of toys. As well as the jingling of his collar and tag - and the clang it makes as he has a drink or midnight snack.

Occasionally - usually when someone knocks on the door there is a booming big bark which makes him sound like he's approximately Labrador sized! Oh and he's worked up the courage to bark at the sheep on our walk too (I don't encourage it) but he's still too frightened to woof! at the cows. LOL.

So - far from silent - but he just uses his "inside voice" more often than not. :D

Edited by Scottsmum

Collie and Sarah aren't particularly noisy but they have their own noises for different reasons.

Sarah has her demanding bark which is either hurry with dinner or hurry up and throw the damn ball

then she has her "I've been left outside all alone bark' which is kind of apologetic in tone as if to say, I don't wish to bother you but I'm not sure if you've noticed that Collie is inside and I'm out. I just thought I'd let you know

Collie being a cocker spaniel is a bit more vocal, he had his "You've come home I'm so excited!" bark, his "Someone is at the door or in the front yard so I need to sound all tough and manly" bark.

And then his "I'm really enjoying this scratch" yodel and other times he'll just start talking to you.

Weirdly the only time Collie howls is when he's fast asleep, he'll let off 2 long howls with his face half muffled by the dog bed

Dozer is pretty vocal.

There's his, people are here! bark, where's dinner? Hello, I haven't seen you before now so far today (only to the boys of the house, he loves his boys),I hear something outside and it's freaking me out!, play with me!, excuse me, I think you forgot to let me inside and now I'm going to yell at you from outside to let me in.

And when the boys get home from work there's the, that's my tail bashing against everything, and I'm crying to go say hello noises. And he grumbles about bedtime and being moved from the couch, housemate's beds and into his crate

Doze isn't allowed to bark for no reason and he'll be herded inside/on the patio to stop him from doing so but I love all his random barks and whines and grumbles for different situations.

Overall people have become increasingly intolerant of any kind of noise. Even children playing annoys some neighbours.

While I agree a constantly barking, yapping or whining dog that never stops can become irritating especially at night I still think people expect too much generally. Dogs bark & they are supposed to bark not live in a silent world where they only bark if someone comes to your door.

Living rural & having a pack mine can be noisy at times & all know the word quiet but don't always obey depending on the level of stimulation. They have certain barks for certain things. My old boy hates spiders & will yap in this weird pitch that I recognise if there is a huntsman around. At present I have a girl on heat & my almost 14 year old boy wants to get to her & keeps doing this really high pitched cross between a yip & a bark. Its awful & he has done it most of the night on & off. I want to kill him :laugh: & keep yelling oh shut up

but that's only to make me feel better as he is going deaf & can't hear me from the bedroom. Apart from this particular carry on which is only temporary I don't mind if they make some noise, pretty much used to it.

I did find when I lived in the city my dogs were quieter, maybe I did teach them to be quiet more, can't remember.

people sometimes forget that barking is a valuable trait that distinguishes a dog from a wolf, dogs were bred to bark! ...obsessive barking is a total different story and a problematic behaviour, and if a dog becomes an obsessive barker there is always a reason for this.

Edited by Willem