Dogs Giving Birth In Pounds

Gretchen Y1/5 is no longer on the website as being in Y1. :thumbsup: Hopefully she has been moved to the special birthing area that keetamouse mentioned. Maybe this area was just under construction until now. Pup, a male, would be about a week old. I hope they both have a wonderful future and I hope a thankyou to DAS staff is not premature. :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always healthy to questions the practices of pounds and shelters, even if they are generally good, as long as it's done constructively, which I think Sars has done.

I guess the problem is likely that she has shown aggression to other dogs - there may not be many rescues with placements that are able to take her and her pup on safely.

That would be my guess.

re birthing in pounds, if desexing is an option then I'm all for it but it isn't always, sometimes it's too late etc.

It's pretty easy to rehome puppies as opposed to adult dogs so I don't have a real problem with it as long as the pups and Mum are well cared for, and that really depends on the staff and facility.

DA this post is so interesting. I am not sure what you mean by desexing as an option. Do you mean desexing a pregnant dog? I would like to know more about this. Do you mean desexing a pregnant dog that is already in rescue? I am not sure but I think pregnant cats are often desexed as a way of solving the problem.

Well I don't know. This is copied from the DAS thread in the urgent forum with some editing so that it makes sense

attaboysmum said on 09 January 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

I was in at the pound yesterday and talked to a lady who said she was adopting the mum and then looking after the pup until it's old enough to be rehomed and then she'd return it to the pound as she'd been told they'd have no trouble rehoming it. I asked her if she was part of any rescue organisation but she said she wasn't.

sarspididious said:

Very interesting. Have you seen this thread in the Rescue forum? http://www.dolforums...irth-in-pounds/

attaboysmum said:

Wow, very interesting indeed. In that thread it mentioned that the mum would be in a special pen away from the other dogs. She was in a bigger pen but it was in the main kennel area right next to and across from all the other pens.

top Top

attaboysmum said:

I should add that I don't know what actually ended up happening. I only know what the woman told me. She was with the mum, on lead and out of the pen, at the time and the DAS worker showed us the tiny puppy. Then we left.

She would seem to be safe which is important :thumbsup: but Keetamouse? Also ARF saying that she would be serving her time of 8 weeks. :confused:

Edited by sarspididious

I have not read all the posts so I apologies. However I am responding to the original post which clearly is quite inflammatory.

This girl was temperament tested and during that I picked up she could be pregnant and the Registrar also confirmed my thoughts. Yes she was defensive in the pound around other dogs but who could blame her. However she was immediately taken to the vets and she met a few dogs there and was perfectly fine. It was confirmed she was pregnant with one pup.

She was moved to a much bigger pen, she was given a shell with lots of bedding, she was being fed as best a food as the pound can supply, she was monitored by the vet weekly, she was closely monitored by the pound staff. To suggest the pictures that I took illustrate she is sad and forlorn is quite frankly BS. She was put up for rescue on here and predominantly and a rescue did not put their hands up until last week, at which stage she had given birth to a very healthy young man.

The RSPCA have known about her for some time so why don't you take up with them why they did not take the Mum, while you are at it you can check why they no longer help with pups and the unwell dogs, however that is whole other kettle of fish.

I, myself have been incredibly impressed with the love and care that this mum and bub have been given at DAS. They have gone above and beyond with this girl. She is a fantastic mum who is raising a gorgeous pup.She has been adopted by a lovely lady who will be bringing the pup back to DAS when he is 8 weeks.

What do you propose should have happened? :mad

I am really irritated with this whole judgemental thread actually.

post-10008-0-90769000-1452408862_thumb.jpg I don't see the sadness here.

I have not read all the posts so I apologies. However I am responding to the original post which clearly is quite inflammatory.

This girl was temperament tested and during that I picked up she could be pregnant and the Registrar also confirmed my thoughts. Yes she was defensive in the pound around other dogs but who could blame her. However she was immediately taken to the vets and she met a few dogs there and was perfectly fine. It was confirmed she was pregnant with one pup.

She was moved to a much bigger pen, she was given a shell with lots of bedding, she was being fed as best a food as the pound can supply, she was monitored by the vet weekly, she was closely monitored by the pound staff. To suggest the pictures that I took illustrate she is sad and forlorn is quite frankly BS. She was put up for rescue on here and predominantly and a rescue did not put their hands up until last week, at which stage she had given birth to a very healthy young man.

The RSPCA have known about her for some time so why don't you take up with them why they did not take the Mum, while you are at it you can check why they no longer help with pups and the unwell dogs, however that is whole other kettle of fish.

I, myself have been incredibly impressed with the love and care that this mum and bub have been given at DAS. They have gone above and beyond with this girl. She is a fantastic mum who is raising a gorgeous pup.She has been adopted by a lovely lady who will be bringing the pup back to DAS when he is 8 weeks.

What do you propose should have happened? :mad

I am really irritated with this whole judgemental thread actually.

post-10008-0-90769000-1452408862_thumb.jpg I don't see the sadness here.

Perhaps you should read the whole thread before you start mouthing off. I was concerned for the well being of the dogs. I am reassured to know they are both okay. I don't need to be blasted for my concern. Perhaps a bit more information earlier on would have been appropriate.

ETA Re photographs: My concern was for the condition, or lack of, that she shows in the side on photographs. I think she is thin.

Edited by sarspididious

So if you read the first line of my post I say I have not read the whole thread as it was your initial post that annoyed me. You have used my pictures to say 'She looks badly done by', when she looks perfectly happy. I do not see it myself, maybe you should pass judgement to the person that has allowed her to end up getting pregnant, leaving her at the pound and generally not giving a crap about her. Maybe focus your energy into trying to lobby for community awareness about desexing as opposed to having a go at those who are actually trying to help the dog and her pup without knowing the whole story.

The title of your thread I thought was going to be an interesting topic, but instead it focused on one dog, one pound and one rescue community. Asking questions to generate discussion is one thing but when you begin with “I am quite disappointed even shocked that this has been allowed to happen” that is simply asking for the hard working people that put in a lot of time and effort to be defensive of the situation. Asking questions regarding the welfare of the dogs, fine. Stirring the pot, lighting the fuse then wondering why people are replying the way they have is not constructive.

“Some photos. She looks badly done by. Poor girl.” Yes this “question to generate discussion” couldn’t possibly be inflammatory.

Bit off topic

but I have to say it;

That one pup is going to be such a fat little wombat mummy's boy :heart: :laugh:

Wishing him and his mum all the best. xx

Powerlegs, I held the little man on Friday at 5 days old and he is a very contented fatty boomba :thumbsup:

Frenzied, you've taken personal offense where really none was intended. Sars is merely concerned about the dog and pup involved and as melz says, questioning things is important, in case they can be improved.

I'm not very clear on what's happening with mum and pup now, although I'm very glad it seems they are ok (edit - I missed a post, I see they are both in a home now :) ) I am certainly disappointed to hear that pregnant mums and pups don't necessarily get taken by RSPCA anymore, although when I left (contract finished) changes were certainly afoot and I wasn't sure they'd be in the best interest of the animals. I really don't know the current situation though.

Sars, re desexing - yes, if it is early enough in pregnancy a bitch can be desexed with the whole uterus including foetuses removed, in order for mum to be adoptable sooner, puppies not to be born in a less than ideal environment and resources to be saved. Sometimes it is too late though and it depends on the pound or shelter having the legal right at the time to proceed, as well as having access and funds for the vet to do it.

Edited by Simply Grand

So if you read the first line of my post I say I have not read the whole thread as it was your initial post that annoyed me. You have used my pictures to say 'She looks badly done by', when she looks perfectly happy. I do not see it myself, maybe you should pass judgement to the person that has allowed her to end up getting pregnant, leaving her at the pound and generally not giving a crap about her. Maybe focus your energy into trying to lobby for community awareness about desexing as opposed to having a go at those who are actually trying to help the dog and her pup without knowing the whole story.

The title of your thread I thought was going to be an interesting topic, but instead it focused on one dog, one pound and one rescue community. Asking questions to generate discussion is one thing but when you begin with “I am quite disappointed even shocked that this has been allowed to happen” that is simply asking for the hard working people that put in a lot of time and effort to be defensive of the situation. Asking questions regarding the welfare of the dogs, fine. Stirring the pot, lighting the fuse then wondering why people are replying the way they have is not constructive.

“Some photos. She looks badly done by. Poor girl.” Yes this “question to generate discussion” couldn’t possibly be inflammatory.

Initially I was going to ignore but a few comments then I am moving on and will have no more to say to you. I am quite disappointed even shocked that this has been allowed to happen in 2016 because I thought pounds, especially DAS because it is in Canberra where people care about dogs, would have better amenities for pregnant dogs. I am using the dog as an illustration of what can happen when these poor dogs find themselves at a pound and I understood that she was looking at another 8 weeks of confinement. The comment is not only about this dog but other dogs in the future who may also find themselves at DAS or other pounds (I am not familiar with what other pounds do) in a similar situation. What will happen to them? I was inviting posters to discuss and bring in their own examples, and think about this topic.

The photos seem to be important to you. I am not sure how I was supposed to know that they were your photos. I did not see a copyright symbol. They came from a thread started by Quintessence on this board. I think the dog is thin and looks miserable with her tail down and her back hunched but she does have a gorgeous face, and I am not blaming the pound (or you) for that because the photos were taken when she first came to the pound. I see an unhappy dog.

I did say in another post that I hold the owner responsible for what has happened, but the owner may not know where his/her dog is. I was not having a go at the pound other than that I was concerned that the dog would be kept there in Y1 for another 8 weeks, as per the quote from Quintessence in the other thread, and that was what initially disappointed and shocked me, and it still does. It also seems as if she gave birth in Y1 which upsets me. Why did she not go to the RSPCA? What is happening there? How many more dogs will give birth in a yard at DAS? I am not blaming the staff at DAS as I said in another post they don't have the resources to deal with this situation. I want better treatment for pregnant canines and I will choose where I 'focus my energy'.

Frenzied, you've taken personal offense where really none was intended. Sars is merely concerned about the dog and pup involved and as melz says, questioning things is important, in case they can be improved.

I'm not very clear on what's happening with mum and pup now, although I'm very glad it seems they are ok (edit - I missed a post, I see they are both in a home now :) ) I am certainly disappointed to hear that pregnant mums and pups don't necessarily get taken by RSPCA anymore, although when I left (contract finished) changes were certainly afoot and I wasn't sure they'd be in the best interest of the animals. I really don't know the current situation though.

Sars, re desexing - yes, if it is early enough in pregnancy a bitch can be desexed with the whole uterus including foetuses removed, in order for mum to be adoptable sooner, puppies not to be born in a less than ideal environment and resources to be saved. Sometimes it is too late though and it depends on the pound or shelter having the legal right at the time to proceed, as well as having access and funds for the vet to do it.

SG I love your clear logical posts. You know so much and you write well. The desexing cannot happen at DAS because it is designed as a temporary holding facility. It appears that other states do it differently and dogs move on to rescue after only a few days at the initial facility. Wondering now if the ACT RSPCA desex dogs who are pregnant. I am not sure how I feel about it although I guess it is expedient and the fact that the whole uterus is removed would make it easier for the surgical staff doing the operation.

Firstly; no offence Sars.

But..

Personally I think Frenzied has done well, I've gone off my brain for less, as threads like this are really hurtful to volunteers. DAS being compared to no better than puppy farms is really crossing the line, you don't go into volunteering to get told you've got NFI about welfare and are standing around with your thumb up your butt while dogs are treated badly. Let alone a whelping mum.

It's not a case of anywhere is better than the pound because I can guarantee that's not true. Nutrition, pre-natal, vet, comfort, hygiene - I've known rescue dogs to get less than that.

If she didn't find an alternative suitable accommodation she was better off at DAS until the very best option came along.

This big girl has had people care for her from Day 1. They've seen potential in her and the outcome sounds like a pretty damn good one. Now she is local and her pup can be monitored which sounds perfect.

It's always healthy to questions the practices of pounds and shelters, even if they are generally good, as long as it's done constructively, which I think Sars has done.

I guess the problem is likely that she has shown aggression to other dogs - there may not be many rescues with placements that are able to take her and her pup on safely.

That would be my guess.

re birthing in pounds, if desexing is an option then I'm all for it but it isn't always, sometimes it's too late etc.

It's pretty easy to rehome puppies as opposed to adult dogs so I don't have a real problem with it as long as the pups and Mum are well cared for, and that really depends on the staff and facility.

DA this post is so interesting. I am not sure what you mean by desexing as an option. Do you mean desexing a pregnant dog? I would like to know more about this. Do you mean desexing a pregnant dog that is already in rescue? I am not sure but I think pregnant cats are often desexed as a way of solving the problem.

Yes desexing if early enough in the pregnancy. Part of the issue is that if the dog is a stray it doesn't belong to the pound until its done its 8 days (in VIC anyway) so they can't operate on it. If it's been surrendered that's different.

This thread was never intended to be a DAS bashing or bashing of anybody. I don't usually 'bash'. I just asked the question because I am concerned about the dog's welfare and that of her pup. I am also concerned that in Canberra in the 21st century better provision is not made for pregnant dogs who find themselves in her situation. Good on DAS if they have created a special area for her. I am only going on the website which says that she is in Y1.

I personally have had good dealings with the people at DAS and I have found them to be good people who try their best for the dogs at the pound. They have to clean up after irresponsible dog owners and sometimes it must be difficult. My last dog came from DAS and they were wonderful.

eta Bashing is not my style. I ask questions. I am an ex English teacher and I ask questions to instigate discussion and thinking about contentious topics in the hope that answers will be found. If I am critical of anyone it is the owner of the dog, although she is lost and the owner may not know where she is, and the lawmakers in the ACT who do not provide funding for better resources because they do not see animal welfare as a priority although they passed laws to ban puppy farms in the ACT. Passing laws is always the cheap solution.

Powerlegs in answer to your comment I have brought this post forward. Please note the bolded part. I can't find anywhere in this thread that I have been critical of volunteers. Comparing the dog's plight at DAS to a bitch at a puppy farm was pointing out that the ACT government has recently passed legislation to ban puppy farms in the interests of dog welfare yet it wasn't prepared to put funding into the facilities that already existed. I have also asked questions about the RSPCA's role in all of this and I have expressed concern about the dog's future. I still don't know why the RSPCA did not take this girl. It was post #20 in the Urgent thread 'UPDATE 4 Jan 2016 The girl in Yard 1 formerly yard 5 has just had her pup and both are fine. So she is not going anywhere at least until her motherhood duties are completed' by Quintessence which made me anxious and which is why I started this thread. I feared the dog would remain at DAS in y1 for another 8 weeks.

My conclusion from this thread is that my ability to communicate via the written word has obviously deteriorated. I am so frequently having to explain what I meant. Perhaps it is an early sign of brain decay. I will not be contributing any more. I will not ask for the thread to be deleted though because I do think it is an important topic and hopefully some discussion might make it easier for pregnant dogs in our pounds in the future.

eta Quite frankly IMO FWIW keeping a dog and a pup in Y1 at DAS for 8 weeks is not okay and I respectfully wish to record this opinion.

Edited by sarspididious

General comments, not aimed at anyone in particular:

Working in animal welfare is tough, for paid staff and for volunteers (and even paid staff are certainly not doing it for the money). There is NEVER enough money to do everything that ideally would be done for animals that end up in pounds and shelters so everyone involved has to do the best they can with what they have.

Unfortunately things will not be perfect. Difficult decisions will have to be made and some animals will unfortunately have to suffer for the good of many more. People looking in from the outside, and even those right in the middle of it won't always be happy with all the decisions that are made.

However we NEED people to question things. We NEED those on the outside looking in to sometimes say "hang on, what's with that?" because when you're in the middle of it you can't always see everything clearly. It is when people ask questions that we have to look at what we're doing and say "am I comfortable with the explanation I can give about this situation?" and if not, "can we do things differently?" Getting defensive or taking personal offense doesn't really help in a discussion about how things can best be done.

We also NEED the general public/wider community looking at this stuff and asking questions, because that is where increased or redirected funding, political will, media coverage and raised awareness come from. There is no point keeping all the information and issues to ourselves within the industry and trying to change things without looking wider for help.

General comments, not aimed at anyone in particular:

Working in animal welfare is tough, for paid staff and for volunteers (and even paid staff are certainly not doing it for the money). There is NEVER enough money to do everything that ideally would be done for animals that end up in pounds and shelters so everyone involved has to do the best they can with what they have.

Unfortunately things will not be perfect. Difficult decisions will have to be made and some animals will unfortunately have to suffer for the good of many more. People looking in from the outside, and even those right in the middle of it won't always be happy with all the decisions that are made.

However we NEED people to question things. We NEED those on the outside looking in to sometimes say "hang on, what's with that?" because when you're in the middle of it you can't always see everything clearly. It is when people ask questions that we have to look at what we're doing and say "am I comfortable with the explanation I can give about this situation?" and if not, "can we do things differently?" Getting defensive or taking personal offense doesn't really help in a discussion about how things can best be done.

We also NEED the general public/wider community looking at this stuff and asking questions, because that is where increased or redirected funding, political will, media coverage and raised awareness come from. There is no point keeping all the information and issues to ourselves within the industry and trying to change things without looking wider for help.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's a sad day when those in welfare get so defensive and angry over legitimate questions being asked. All that was needed was for the questions to be answered and the reasons for the situation explained. If they *can't* be explained to a satisfactory level then that needs to be explored.

DAS do a lot of good but they still have plenty they can improve on - this is evidenced by the fact that healthy and treatable animals are still being killed at this facility. Where this is still happening anywhere, there are improvements to be made. Even where this isn't happening, we still need to be concerned about things like length of stay, appropriate enrichment etc etc for those animals.

A screaming witch hunt is obviously never the answer but nothing of the sort happened in this thread. Legitimate questions were asked, nothing more.

My conclusion from this thread is that my ability to communicate via the written word has obviously deteriorated. I am so frequently having to explain what I meant. Perhaps it is an early sign of brain decay. I will not be contributing any more. I will not ask for the thread to be deleted though because I do think it is an important topic and hopefully some discussion might make it easier for pregnant dogs in our pounds in the future.

eta Quite frankly IMO FWIW keeping a dog and a pup in Y1 at DAS for 8 weeks is not okay and I respectfully wish to record this opinion.

I respectfully wish to record my opinion that you are talking rubbish :rofl: :rofl:

Sars, you “should” have realised by now that there are people everywhere who will jump on anything to make an issue that was never intended.

Read Melzawelza's last post - she hits the nail on the head. You asked perfectly legitimate questions: All that was needed was for them to have been answered honestly and clearly upfront.

And also, Simply Grand has nailed it.

Asking questions should not be seen as criticisms (though undoubtedly sometimes they are); generally people are just asking for more information and and understanding of what is happening.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

There are some good points raised in this thread but ultimately asking questions in a public forum and repeating that you are concerned for the welfare of the dog without making any steps to find out the full story or help this girls situation is a waste of everyone's time.

I agree with Melzawelza that legitimate questions should be answered upfront and honestly by welfare organisations but sars didn't ask the people involved in this girls care, she sought opinions from a public forum

I've seen this FB post shared a few times, a few things to think about next time you are concerned...

Been wanting to write this post all day. It occurred to me that some people don't have the full understanding on how a rescue works or the inner workings of saving an animal on the pts list. Recently my beloved cousin tagged me in a post and it made me think back to when i only knew bits and pieces of the rescue game. And i thought id share some advice and info that i have learned along the way.

So here goes.

Many of you may see a dog on the pts list and want to save it. With absolutely all great intentions. Sharing a post is a great way of doing that. Many try contacting a rescue to tag the animal to try and save it. Generally speaking most rescues are already aware of the animal as they monitor pounds. And I'm sure most rescues get a bulk lot of emails asking to save this dog or this cat etc.

But take a moment if you will to think of what that involves. Here is by no means a complete list of things a rescue must think of before tagging an animal.

1. Finances. Consider each dog costs minimum 300 dollars (c5, microchip, desex, heartworm, worming, tick control, flea control. ) and that is if its healthy. Many require additional vet work done, surgeries, pregnancy etc etc. Which can cost into the thousands. And lets face it most pound dogs are not in great condition.

2.housing since foster carers are far and few most dogs will require kenneling. Costing roughly 150 per week per dog. Consider that some rescues have over 40 dogs. Do the maths. Somehow they have to come up with that kind of money EACH WEEK. Not once or twice.

3. Transportation has to be arranged by volunteers or has to be paid costing up to 300 and more to transport them to vets, kennels etc

All registered rescue charities are run by volunteers . It means they all have full time jobs and volunteer their free time to transport pets, do property inspections, answer emails, put up profiles, contact pounds, deal with surrenders, and yes look through unsuitable adoption forms that state they love wolves or always wanted a dog like demon from snow dogs. (We have plenty of those here but im.sure the real.demon came with free chewed up furniture, broken phones, pulled clothes from the lines, high prey drive. sadly none of our dogs as of yet sunbake on sun lounges drinking Margheritas )

So my advice for when you see a dog you want saved .

• Try and get incontact with a rescue and offer a pledge or sponsor the dog or some assistance of some kind.. Organise a fundraiser using any free fundraising website and add up all the fees it costs to save a dog.
  • Cant afford it then offer to foster care. You do not have to foster that particular dog, but one out of the kennel leaves a free spot for another to come in.
  • Share posts and follow up. Many times i see people rallying behind a dog while its in the pound, but forgotten once its safe in rescue. Does he no longer deserve your support simply because he is safe.
  • Offer yourself as a volunteer for transport, property inspections etc.
  • Share existing dogs available for adoption. Put up signs, get a coin jar and raise funds at work, doing fundraisers or.morning teas or make up parties etc to raise funds. So the next dog on the pts list has a chance.
  • Donate food beds blankets old towels balls clam pools leads collars harnnesses etc

There are many ways of assisting to save a dog.

I am saddened by the amount of times i see people going on about a dog in the pound on the day its due to be put to sleep and putting rescues down yet never once dig into their own pockets. When most rescues are completely strung up right now and at full capacity.

Caring for so many dogs is costly. Thats the bottom line. Ongoing vet checks, constant worming, tick preventions, kenneling etc its an ongoing weight on rescues pockets and some dogs have been in rescues for over 2 years with no adoption offers. Yet rescues still pay for all their necessities, but sadly they are now forgotten by the same people who rallied behind them when they were on the pts list. .

I mean to offend no one and please understand I am fully behind getting together to save an animal. But sadly i have also come to the opinion that talk is cheap and action speaks louder than words.

Please act to save a poundie. I hope this helps give you a greater understanding of just a tad of the work that goes behind saving a dog.

There are some good points raised in this thread but ultimately asking questions in a public forum and repeating that you are concerned for the welfare of the dog without making any steps to find out the full story or help this girls situation is a waste of everyone's time.

I agree with Melzawelza that legitimate questions should be answered upfront and honestly by welfare organisations but sars didn't ask the people involved in this girls care, she sought opinions from a public forum

I've seen this FB post shared a few times, a few things to think about next time you are concerned...

Been wanting to write this post all day. It occurred to me that some people don't have the full understanding on how a rescue works or the inner workings of saving an animal on the pts list. Recently my beloved cousin tagged me in a post and it made me think back to when i only knew bits and pieces of the rescue game. And i thought id share some advice and info that i have learned along the way.

So here goes.

Many of you may see a dog on the pts list and want to save it. With absolutely all great intentions. Sharing a post is a great way of doing that. Many try contacting a rescue to tag the animal to try and save it. Generally speaking most rescues are already aware of the animal as they monitor pounds. And I'm sure most rescues get a bulk lot of emails asking to save this dog or this cat etc.

But take a moment if you will to think of what that involves. Here is by no means a complete list of things a rescue must think of before tagging an animal.

1. Finances. Consider each dog costs minimum 300 dollars (c5, microchip, desex, heartworm, worming, tick control, flea control. ) and that is if its healthy. Many require additional vet work done, surgeries, pregnancy etc etc. Which can cost into the thousands. And lets face it most pound dogs are not in great condition.

2.housing since foster carers are far and few most dogs will require kenneling. Costing roughly 150 per week per dog. Consider that some rescues have over 40 dogs. Do the maths. Somehow they have to come up with that kind of money EACH WEEK. Not once or twice.

3. Transportation has to be arranged by volunteers or has to be paid costing up to 300 and more to transport them to vets, kennels etc

All registered rescue charities are run by volunteers . It means they all have full time jobs and volunteer their free time to transport pets, do property inspections, answer emails, put up profiles, contact pounds, deal with surrenders, and yes look through unsuitable adoption forms that state they love wolves or always wanted a dog like demon from snow dogs. (We have plenty of those here but im.sure the real.demon came with free chewed up furniture, broken phones, pulled clothes from the lines, high prey drive. sadly none of our dogs as of yet sunbake on sun lounges drinking Margheritas )

So my advice for when you see a dog you want saved .

• Try and get incontact with a rescue and offer a pledge or sponsor the dog or some assistance of some kind.. Organise a fundraiser using any free fundraising website and add up all the fees it costs to save a dog.
  • Cant afford it then offer to foster care. You do not have to foster that particular dog, but one out of the kennel leaves a free spot for another to come in.
  • Share posts and follow up. Many times i see people rallying behind a dog while its in the pound, but forgotten once its safe in rescue. Does he no longer deserve your support simply because he is safe.
  • Offer yourself as a volunteer for transport, property inspections etc.
  • Share existing dogs available for adoption. Put up signs, get a coin jar and raise funds at work, doing fundraisers or.morning teas or make up parties etc to raise funds. So the next dog on the pts list has a chance.
  • Donate food beds blankets old towels balls clam pools leads collars harnnesses etc

There are many ways of assisting to save a dog.

I am saddened by the amount of times i see people going on about a dog in the pound on the day its due to be put to sleep and putting rescues down yet never once dig into their own pockets. When most rescues are completely strung up right now and at full capacity.

Caring for so many dogs is costly. Thats the bottom line. Ongoing vet checks, constant worming, tick preventions, kenneling etc its an ongoing weight on rescues pockets and some dogs have been in rescues for over 2 years with no adoption offers. Yet rescues still pay for all their necessities, but sadly they are now forgotten by the same people who rallied behind them when they were on the pts list. .

I mean to offend no one and please understand I am fully behind getting together to save an animal. But sadly i have also come to the opinion that talk is cheap and action speaks louder than words.

Please act to save a poundie. I hope this helps give you a greater understanding of just a tad of the work that goes behind saving a dog.

re your criticism of my involvement: See #17. I did go to the pound to find out what was happening and I did speak with one of the rangers and I have reported here what I was told. This issue had already been raised and asked about in the Urgent forum where it went unanswered but that is the norm for those threads. Questions are never answered. People even offered donations to help this girl but from memory they were not acknowledged. I started this thread to draw attention to that girl's situation and to try to help her and other dogs in similar situations. I am not sure exactly how else I am to find out if that dog is safe.

eta If reading this thread was a waste of time no-one asked you to read it.

Edited by sarspididious