Dogs Giving Birth In Pounds

Not referring to a particular pound.

The one positive is that with stats and awareness gradually leaving some pounds in need of less rescue assistance, other pounds can be helped. :) But they are new, and wary. And aren't paid to put up with getting savaged on the internet. (Acknowledging that this thread is very mild in comparison to what I've seen before)

I know you have said that is not what you mean and thus covered yourself but I am not 'savaging' anyone and I find the suggestion offensive.

The newborn pups who died from the cold were at a pound in Sydney, not a country pound. I don't remember which one (perhaps somebody else can) but it has always haunted me.

For god's sake settle down.

I stated this thread is mild and it is, so if you're going to dish out criticism and concerns in one direction, put a hold on the dramatic.

I took the time to reply gently to your post - because taking drastic offence where there was none seemed a common theme with your previous forum profile- and have been dismissed without acknowledgement that you are holding newly networked rural pounds to city standards. And that you need to exercise judgement and discretion.

I suggest you do something tangible for all the whelping bitches rather than decide that everyone else needs to find an answer. Take a step back and think about what pound staff and rescuers find 'offensive' as well once you've given it a red hot go at something constructive.

We're all haunted, it's what pushes forward change.

So who is wearing their cranky pants today? I have no more to say to you. Have a nice day. :wave:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not referring to a particular pound.

The one positive is that with stats and awareness gradually leaving some pounds in need of less rescue assistance, other pounds can be helped. :) But they are new, and wary. And aren't paid to put up with getting savaged on the internet. (Acknowledging that this thread is very mild in comparison to what I've seen before)

I know you have said that is not what you mean and thus covered yourself but I am not 'savaging' anyone and I find the suggestion offensive.

The newborn pups who died from the cold were at a pound in Sydney, not a country pound. I don't remember which one (perhaps somebody else can) but it has always haunted me.

For god's sake settle down.

I stated this thread is mild and it is, so if you're going to dish out criticism and concerns in one direction, put a hold on the dramatic.

I took the time to reply gently to your post - because taking drastic offence where there was none seemed a common theme with your previous forum profile- and have been dismissed without acknowledgement that you are holding newly networked rural pounds to city standards. And that you need to exercise judgement and discretion.

I suggest you do something tangible for all the whelping bitches rather than decide that everyone else needs to find an answer. Take a step back and think about what pound staff and rescuers find 'offensive' as well once you've given it a red hot go at something constructive.

We're all haunted, it's what pushes forward change.

So who is wearing their cranky pants today? I have no more to say to you. Have a nice day. :wave:

Yep maybe cranky, but not classic passive aggressive.

Can anyone suggest how I might word a petition on this subject?

What do you want the petition to accomplish? how are you proposing to change the situation? Unless you have a viable solution to remedy the situation an online petition is only going to inflame the situation and encourage pounds to keep these dogs out of the spotlight and away from FB where they are much more likely to get PTS due to lack of exposure.

If you want things to change then look at the list I posted earlier about how you can encourage rescues to get involved with individual cases or better yet maybe volunteer at a pound and get some hands on experience with ALL the issues pounds face everyday.

It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, if only everyone that wanted things to change were actually prepared to do something about it (and by this I don't mean create an inflammatory petition)

What do you want the petition to accomplish? how are you proposing to change the situation? Unless you have a viable solution to remedy the situation an online petition is only going to inflame the situation and encourage pounds to keep these dogs out of the spotlight and away from FB where they are much more likely to get PTS due to lack of exposure.

If you want things to change then look at the list I posted earlier about how you can encourage rescues to get involved with individual cases or better yet maybe volunteer at a pound and get some hands on experience with ALL the issues pounds face everyday.

It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, if only everyone that wanted things to change were actually prepared to do something about it (and by this I don't mean create an inflammatory petition)

Your post is not at all helpful. I am asking about the wording of a petition not whether or not I should write one at all. My petition would go to the government. It would not be an online petition via Facebook because I don't have the IT skills for that, but maybe that is a good suggestion. Perhaps I could find someone who could set up one on Facebook. Your post is helpful after all.

Your post is not at all helpful. I am asking about the wording of a petition not whether or not I should write one at all. My petition would go to the government. It would not be an online petition via Facebook because I don't have the IT skills for that, but maybe that is a good suggestion. Perhaps I could find someone who could set up one on Facebook. Your post is helpful after all.

I asked you what you wanted the petition to accomplish and how you were proposing to make that happen. How is anyone supposed to help you write a petition without knowing those key things.

Who is the target of your petition? One specific pound? All the pounds in NSW? What about the ones that are already fostering out pregnant dogs? Which government are you planning to sent it to? Local, state or federal? Which government employee will you be addressing it to?

I asked you what you wanted the petition to accomplish and how you were proposing to make that happen. How is anyone supposed to help you write a petition without knowing those key things.

Who is the target of your petition? One specific pound? All the pounds in NSW? What about the ones that are already fostering out pregnant dogs? Which government are you planning to sent it to? Local, state or federal? Which government employee will you be addressing it to?

Thank you for your interest. I don't read your posts as friendly which makes me wary (hypervigilance possibly) so I will not be answering your questions.

Thank you for your interest. I don't read your posts as friendly which makes me wary (hypervigilance possibly) so I will not be answering your questions.

the rescue I work with has established relationships with lots of pounds in NSW and there are many individuals that through their attempts to better the system have threatened to derail these relationships. You're not the only one with cause to be wary.

the rescue I work with has established relationships with lots of pounds in NSW and there are many individuals that through their attempts to better the system have threatened to derail these relationships. You're not the only one with cause to be wary.

Point taken. :wave:

Seemed to me like Leah was being a lot more gentle with you than you probably deserved.

Believe it or not, rescues aren't in some conspiracy with the government to shut down concerned citizens/keyboard warriors. Shocking, I know.

Seemed to me like Leah was being a lot more gentle with you than you probably deserved.

Believe it or not, rescues aren't in some conspiracy with the government to shut down concerned citizens/keyboard warriors. Shocking, I know.

I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to.

ETA I am concerned about the welfare of dogs. What is your problem with that? I have not referred to rescues in this thread. As far as I am concerned they are irrelevant. They do not have a monopoly on pounds. Other people are allowed to care about the dogs there too.

Edited by sarspididious

sarspididious - the best way to get anything done with regards to anything run by (or contracted by) a Local Government Area is to offer them some possible soultions to the problem you see is occurring. Simply telling them that something is not up to scratch doesn't tend to get anything done, as they simply choose to ignore the problem by stating that it's too hard to fix under the current rules/regulations... and you can bet your bottom dollar that if it might look like costing them more money to implement, then not a hell of a lot will be done either.

By offering up possible solutions - or even partial solutions that go in the direction you want - they have less of a leg to stand on in denying your petition for something to be done about an issue.

Basically, I'm saying that in order for us to see a solution, we have to be prepared to be a part of that solution in some way... even if it's only to come up with workable possibilities for them...

T.

sarspididious - the best way to get anything done with regards to anything run by (or contracted by) a Local Government Area is to offer them some possible soultions to the problem you see is occurring. Simply telling them that something is not up to scratch doesn't tend to get anything done, as they simply choose to ignore the problem by stating that it's too hard to fix under the current rules/regulations... and you can bet your bottom dollar that if it might look like costing them more money to implement, then not a hell of a lot will be done either.

By offering up possible solutions - or even partial solutions that go in the direction you want - they have less of a leg to stand on in denying your petition for something to be done about an issue.

Basically, I'm saying that in order for us to see a solution, we have to be prepared to be a part of that solution in some way... even if it's only to come up with workable possibilities for them...

T.

Thank you. I have read up about petitions and it's important to say what you want done. I am not sure exactly what I want but maybe keetamouse's comments much earlier on #13 "DAS have a birthing area now and the mum would be away from the normal pens, I doubt she had the pup in one of the regular pens also I doubt they would have her and the pup in the 1st kennel" which proved not to be accurate but it does seem like a positive outcome. I am still trying to get more information and am waiting for a reply from a local minister's office. I don't really see how I can be part of the solution though and yes it would cost money which is always a problem. Maybe some fundraising is called for. I am still just muddling my way through it all. :)

ETA I just found this on the Internet. https://www.change.org/p/act-government-have-an-inquiry-into-domestic-animal-services-and-it-s-administration-find-out-why-so-many-mistakes-are-made-improve-the-processes-change-the-culture-and-reprimand-staff-accor

They have got over 900 signatures.

Edited by sarspididious

So your first step is to work out at least one small positive change that can be relatively easily and cheaply made by the facility... starting small and moving forward in small steps still moves you toward your ultimate goal, yes?

The petition you refer to has a valid basis, but it is not offerng up a positive solution - just calls for someone else to figure out a solution. Regardless of the 900 signatures, I don't see much action will be taken by those called to fault in that case... even though the issue is relatively major and does need fixing.

Local Government departments are usually more than happy to work WITH people who offer solutions to their problems... and even moreso with those willing to go the distance to assist in implementation of said solutions. It's all too easy to point a finger and say that something is not right and needs fixing - but that rarely gets a positive response - the complainant needs to be willing to be a part of the solution process for it to actually get anywhere...

T.

So your first step is to work out at least one small positive change that can be relatively easily and cheaply made by the facility... starting small and moving forward in small steps still moves you toward your ultimate goal, yes?

The petition you refer to has a valid basis, but it is not offerng up a positive solution - just calls for someone else to figure out a solution. Regardless of the 900 signatures, I don't see much action will be taken by those called to fault in that case... even though the issue is relatively major and does need fixing.

Local Government departments are usually more than happy to work WITH people who offer solutions to their problems... and even moreso with those willing to go the distance to assist in implementation of said solutions. It's all too easy to point a finger and say that something is not right and needs fixing - but that rarely gets a positive response - the complainant needs to be willing to be a part of the solution process for it to actually get anywhere...

T.

T I love your posts. :) ATM I am trying to get more information from the relevant departments, and I am waiting for replies. Then I will do as you suggest.

That on-line petition is not what I would be trying to emulate. I had visualised standing outside shopping centres with my clipboard and asking strangers to sign. I would not know how to set up a Facebook petition. On Facebook I have 14 friends and I have unfollowed 6 of them because I can't be bothered with the drivel they post. That petition has shocked me actually. The petitioners are from opposite sides of the fence and they have all bonded together just to get the pound staff. I don't want to have a go at the pound staff because as I have said elsewhere I think they do the best they can and I personally like the ones I have met. Perhaps we need a friends of the pound group who raise money to improve the facilities for the dogs. Not sure.

Thank you sarspididious... I like to think I learned a few strategies for working with pounds/councils from my years in rescue... *grin*

My father also brought me up to come up with solutions to problems if I didn't like the status quo... best thing he ever taught me I reckon!

T.