A Few Questions Re: Routine / Annual Vet Check Ups

OK - Because I'm totally OK with looking like an idiot with you guys and I'm on the hunt for a new vet for the first time in over 15 years.... Here is list of kind of dumb questions.

1. How long from a negative heart worm test do I have before I need to treat? (I'm drawing a blank - is it 4 weeks or 6?)
  2. Do I even need to treat for HW here in New Zealand? Edit: Nope!
  3. How do you pronounce "titre" test? Is it Teat-rrr (like a nipple teat?) or is it Tight-rrr (like hold on tight) (I told you they were dumb questions) Edit: Sounds like the jury is out on this one
  4. Is one of those clubs where you pay a vet a certain amount per week for "free consults" worth it? (very open question I know) Edit: Still undecided on this one

***A bit of background (AKA the long version):

Scottie is due for vax and HW. I think I'd like to just have him titre tested this year and I'm actually wondering if I need to bother at all with HW now we're in NZ? The HW question is probably one for a local vet but does anyone here have any knowledge on the HW situation in NZ (we're in Manawatu if that makes a difference). I have googled - not found anything one way or the other - It's not mentioned at all on any of the local vets "things you need to do for your pet" pages. If I do need to HW I need to do it fast as I think my window is closing quickly most recently tested neg just before flying out of Sydney on 24/11/15.

Secondly - seriously - how do you pronounce Titre?

Finally - I'm vet shopping - Yuck! I asked around locally (pet shops) for recommendations for vets. Understandably most places were hesitant to recommend one over another (and there are a lot of vets in town) - only one place went as far to name one place to avoid. I tried one local place when we needed his AGs expressed - it was here nor there. I'd go back but they we only so so.

Which leads me to my last question: One of the local vets offers one of those loyalty club things - $10 a week gets you unlimited general consults, a "wellness consult" vaccinations, (null point if I do a titre test as I'd have to pay for that - but I suppose if he did need a vax it would be covered).

The "club" also covers a parvo test (at 16 weeks or annually), microchipping and rego, a "breed predisposition consult", $50 off puppy school, nutrition counselling, weight management consult, $100 off dental or desex, faecal tests, nail trims, express AGs, annual blood pressure, in house urine analysis and 1 x annual in house bloods.

Obviously some of those things have no value to me and I can do the maths on what I spent on consults alone last year (except I have clearly put Scottie's file somewhere very safe as I can't locate it at the moment). I would obviously check to see if the deal was transferable (to another clinic) or if I could cancel it - but if we moved there is a local branch in the most likely place we'd be moved to.

We typically see the vet for vaccinations, his separation anxiety - and dispense of related drugs, his creaky old man body (I think arthritis meds are on the cards this year - we nearly went there last year) and he's getting 6 monthly 'senior bloods' to keep an eye on a slightly elevated ALT (which was normal at last check - Yay!).

So anyone tried the idea? I know it was starting to be advertised around Sydney's inner west just as I was leaving ... Good? bad? rushed consults with a junior vet or a different vet every time? His health care isn't about money, It's ultimately about me finding a vet who I like and click with but obviously if I can save money that helps immensely - especially as we're on a single wage until I manage to find work.

Edited by Scottsmum

I think tie-ter is American. I am originally from UK so say tee-ter.

With regard to clubs, loyalty rewards etc., I don't partake in any of them. Just an excuse to bombard you with spam emails, encourage you to spend money just for the sake of it, and in regard to vets - well I use different vets for different things and do not want to be locked into going to one practice.

I would imagine heartworm preventative is not necessary in your area, but agree to check with local clinics. Why don't you have a ring around some vets, ask for prices of treatments and medications your dog may need, ask about their treatment protocols and just generally get a feel about how forthcoming, friendly and professional they are? Also, if you fall into conversation with other dog owners, ask them who they use.... and start a dossier!

I think tie-ter is American. I am originally from UK so say tee-ter.

I find that interesting. I look at the spelling being similar to Mitre 10 (Aussie hardware store) therefore pronounce it tie-ter. Tee-ter to me sounds American as in teeter-totter :laugh:

Edit: maybe it's neither and is TIT-er -- titty testing! :rofl:

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

'titre'

I always pronounce it teeter (rhymes with metre - the measure) or teetra.

We did titre tests in chemistry in high school - way before dogs got vaccinated...

It involved a tall skinny tube and running one solution out of the tube into a beaker of another chemical until you got a colour change or some other effect you were testing for. The idea was to find out how much of the first solution it took to get a reaction in the second solution and then you could work out what the chemical structures might look like.

Theres no way "titre" in French would come out as "tie ter". It would be "tee tre"

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

it's 'titer' pronounced 'TIGHT er'... 'titre' is French, I noticed it is often used here - no idea why.

FYI Willem:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/titre

The version spelt titer is US English

Hopefully Scottsmum will be able to come back on when she's been to the vet and tell us how the Kiwis pronounce it :laugh:

ah, French-British heritage...

Hopefully Scottsmum will be able to come back on when she's been to the vet and tell us how the Kiwis pronounce it :laugh:

I assume the process is related to the chemical process of titration (which I was taught to pronounce similar to "Tight-ration" at uni) therefore I assume it's pronounced kind of similar.

I have always pronounced it tight-er as that is the way Dr Shultz (leading vaccination researcher and considered to guru in this respect) pronounces it.

I would likely avoid the clinics that offer the payment plan option. This is likely to be a chain owned veterinary clinic and they are fairly well known for the practice of 'upselling' and being fairly profit driven (Choice has written articles about the practice).

Edited by espinay2

Quick update:

I) According to the receptionist at the vet I called into - He doesn't need heartworming. I will ask at another place to be sure because .... I'm not 100% confident - but I think all evidence is pointing towards no.

II) The Nurse I ended up speaking to and the receptionist both pronounced Titre differently - again - do some reccy when I pop into another vet to confirm my finidings ;)

III) Still undecided on the vet and the payment plan etc. Espinay raises a good point above - I'm confident enough and know (just) enough to not be upsold or over serviced. Plus I have real life vet and grooming friends who I trust and you lot too - so I'm not too worried about that ... verdict still out.

On the topic of titre testing - the receptionist and the nurse were unsure if they did it. Well, they don't do it as a general thing. The nurse said it's not at all common and both counselled it would be far more expensive then "just vaccinating" ... When I said cost wasn't an issue the receptionist actually said "wish I could say that!" ... Any how... the nurse was going to get a quote for me and call me ... so I'll keep you all updated.

Also - the standard vaccination (C3 or C5) appears to be called a V3 or V5 ...