Puppy Pen Recommendations

dollygirl

Hello all,

We picked up an new baby puppy last Sunday an English Springer named Porter who is doing really well, settled in, getting on with other dog, eating pooping well, no problems at all.

Except, as we will be going back to work, week after next, he will need to spend part of his day in a puppy pen. As I have another Springer this makes it a bit more complicated. I like to join the pen up against a wall to make it bigger, so it needs to be stable. It will be on a wooden deck and the type we have the moment is perfect as it has metal stakes that will go down between the cracks of the deck.

However AND THIS IS THE PROBLEM, it is not very tall and he can climb out of it. He can jump up and put His front legs over the top and then climb on the little cross bars.

Any suggestions of a puppy pen..willing to spend up to $200

I am looking at one on Vebo which is a taller and more sturdy than the old much cheaper one. I don't think he could climb out of this one..and it 1.2 metres high

http://www.vebopet.com.au/dog/dog-exercise-pen/6-panel-metal-tube-heavy-duty-pet-exercise-play-pen.html

It still has the pins that will go into the deck to reinforce it.

Any other suggestions?

Hello all,

We picked up an new baby puppy last Sunday an English Springer named Porter who is doing really well, settled in, getting on with other dog, eating pooping well, no problems at all.

Except, as we will be going back to work, week after next, he will need to spend part of his day in a puppy pen. As I have another Springer this makes it a bit more complicated. I like to join the pen up against a wall to make it bigger, so it needs to be stable. It will be on a wooden deck and the type we have the moment is perfect as it has metal stakes that will go down between the cracks of the deck.

However AND THIS IS THE PROBLEM, it is not very tall and he can climb out of it. He can jump up and put His front legs over the top and then climb on the little cross bars.

I am looking at one on Vebo which is a taller and more sturdy than the old much cheaper one. I don't think he could climb out of this one..and it 1.2 metres high

http://www.vebopet.com.au/dog/dog-exercise-pen/6-panel-metal-tube-heavy-duty-pet-exercise-play-pen.html

Any other suggestions?

Where there is a will there is a way and I reckon he will climb 1.2 m as easily as a lower height.......................our last, similar in size, could scale 1.2m plywood at 9 weeks and then just fall down the other side, we gave her more freedom rather than end up with a broken leg, but she always had someone her.........think you need a cage if you are going to be away during the day

Not sure how tall your current ones are but what about Bunnings compost panels turned tall side up and cable tied together? Now your norty puppy has learnt the escape route you might have to get tricky yourself though lol. (Don't forget to create a gate to take them through rather than lifting over the top or they'll realise that's a way out).

Edited by Roova

Thank you that's a good idea..oh dear except it is against a wall

Easy fixed if not rented. Wooden wall screw eyelets into wood. Brick use mortar drill bit to attach length of board then screw the eyelets into the board.

Hello all,

Any other suggestions?

I bought this pen for my working ESS litter - it's brilliant - still use it to contain 8 month old pup occasionally. Doesn't keep the cat out though :laugh: ETA I have compost panels as well that I use against the wall - which makes the pen a lot bigger. I wouldn't use compost panels on their own though - my lot were going over them at a very young age!!!

post-16781-0-86591000-1452144741_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I have had my puppy pen for years so do not know if they are still available, but is a C crate pen, it is very sturdy and has a lid on it the lid is in two halves attached to the body of the pen, when I need the lid on they clip securely to the pen, there is no getting out.

The thing is they do not have pegs to keep it in place, but you could buy tent peg type and attach it to the decking.

Some great ideas here…got me thinking. I am pretty sure we will be ok. Will start with a higher pen and if is still trying to climb out..we will put a shade cloth top on it.

Thank your everyone for all the suggestions.

I have had my puppy pen for years so do not know if they are still available, but is a C crate pen, it is very sturdy and has a lid on it the lid is in two halves attached to the body of the pen, when I need the lid on they clip securely to the pen, there is no getting out.

The thing is they do not have pegs to keep it in place, but you could buy tent peg type and attach it to the decking.

Yes, they are but outside the OP's budget.

Yes, they are but outside the OP's budget.

I will check them out though

Edited by dollygirl

I have a Vebo run. It was $ 250. It's nice and big and you can get a cover for it. I had to buy a higher indoor pen for my Mini Foxie for when we stay at my mum's. The original shorter one was good for 4 weeks when I came home from work and found her on my bed!

When I saw this idea on Facebook, building your own Oscillot-type frame in the pen to stop climbing, I thought of this thread.

The materials can be bought from any large hardware or plumbing supplies store, a a child could assemble it. Just make sure that the pipes you get for the frame a smaller diameter than the pipes that run over the top.

No dog can climb out because the loose pipe will spin, so they cannot get a grip.

10426310_1070373846323040_372416664414693550_n.jpg?oh=2e2464a19cd721ffc5c39cf661604f71&oe=56FC2C25

Thats very clever thank you.

Bought a pen that just has rungs like a pool fence, similar to a child proof gate and attached it to his LARGE crate. That worked for a couple of days, today he climbed out over his crate! He wants to be with the big dogs. Have now lifted the crate up higher, this should last a couple of weeks. We are going to put a top on the enclosure tomorrow. This little guy ia a Houdini, what a worry.