Canine Cognitive Dysfunction

Border Terrier Mum

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and am hoping for some help, advice, or just empathy in regard to my almost 14 year old Border Terrier. In recent months his personality has changed significantly and I now suspect he has some form of canine cognitive dysfunction. From being an affectionate, very sociable and friendly little dog, he has become quite antisocial, disinterested (for the most part) in interacting with me, his toys, other people and also at times appears disorientated, vague, anxious, agitated and unwilling to come inside the house or go for walks. After an initial consultation, the vet I took him to has prescribed Vivitonin tablets (2 per day) which he's been taking for about 3 weeks now. I haven't noticed any improvement in him, although his behaviour does tend to fluctuate a bit in that at some times he seems more alert and engaged than at others. Physically he checks out ok, he's eating well and has no signs or symptoms of physical illness. I believe there are stronger medications than the one he's on, (I think Anapryl?) and wondered whether anyone has any experience of dealing with a similar situation and trying one or other or both of these two medications.

The vet also recommended that we try and encourage him to participate in normal life and activities even when he seems reluctant but I'm a bit concerned that doing this will only make him more agitated. Quite often when I approach him now, he runs away which makes it difficult to do things like give him medication and take him for walks.

Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

The University of Sydney is doing research on this condition in dogs & has had success with an elderly cocker spaniel..I think they're still recruiting suitable dogs for their trials. But I understand you're not in NSW. However, you might find it interesting to read their description of the condition:

http://sydney.edu.au/news-opinion/news/2015/12/04/world-first--university-of-sydney-scientists-cure-dog-of-dementi.html

The University of Sydney is doing research on this condition in dogs & has had success with an elderly cocker spaniel..I think they're still recruiting suitable dogs for their trials. But I understand you're not in NSW. However, you might find it interesting to read their description of the condition:

http://sydney.edu.au/news-opinion/news/2015/12/04/world-first--university-of-sydney-scientists-cure-dog-of-dementi.html

fantastic read - thank you

• 2 months later...