Sorry, Probably Being Done To Death But I'm Desperate!

Megs

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find budget (as much as possible anyway) accommodation in Melbourne that will allow me to have one dog stay with me.

My dog is potentially having major surgery (total knee replacement)and I'm struggling to find a ground floor apartment that will accept dogs that's not wildly expensive. I've googled for hours but coming up blank. I understand it may be a cost I have to accept but I thought I would check the most knowledgeable place I know first before committing to it :).

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated. Air con, no stairs and as close to Malvern East as possible are my requirements.

If anyone has been through (or know someone who has) a total knee replacement with their dog I would love to here your experience. Actually only tell me good things, I'm too stressed to hear anything bad!

Many thanks.

Are you looking for temporary accomodation or a place to rent?

For temp accomodation, I ise airbnb. There are a few places that allow dogs - including s fab apartment in Caulfield, ground floor.

What's your budget?

I probably should have added that part :). Just temporary accomodation. 5-6 nights mid Feb.

I must have missed that one on air bnb, thought I had trolled through the lot. Budget would be <120 a night ideally. Will check it out Megan, thanks.

I'm not sure if you are after temporary of permanent accommodation but if it is temporary maybe it could be worth checking the airbnb site Megs? I would presume pets may be allowed in some places by arrangement. https://www.airbnb.com.au/s/Melbourne--Australia

Another possibility could be looking at some Melbourne house-sitting sites.

Good luck with the surgery.

Caulfield /Malvern etc may not be the cheapest of areas, so just bear that in mind. You also accidentally have two threads going but if you pm Troy he can merge them :)

Whoops, I hadn't seen there were two threads. :D I mentioned airbnb on the other one. Another possibility Megs could be to see if you could house sit. On a google quite a few Melbourne house-sitting sites come up.

Just a tip for air bnb - when we flew into Wellington it was looking like we'd (Scottie and I) weren't going to to be picked up for a few reasons out of anyones control.

I couldn't find a place which stated it was pet friendly so I started emailing / contacting places which said they had a pet on the property & explained my situation (landing late & clearing customs with him, older dog, international flight, long car trip in front of us, quiet, house broken, just want somewhere close to Wellington where we can have a walk and get a good nights sleep before the next stage...yadda yadda).

I found a place within 2 emails (one owner wasnt going to be home) which was OK to let us stay on the condition he was on lead and not allowed in the bed.

Might be worth a shot - an honest sob story can't hurt :)

Thank you for all your replies :)

I've left my details with a few air bnb people who don't advertise that they allow dogs but i'm hopeful a well trained dog, recovering from major surgery might sway one of them. Now I just have to try and not stress about the surgery!

I understand your pain Canetoad, if you have house-trained dogs that stay on their beds and have an additional cleaning fee I don't understand why its so expensive. Probably like most things, the irresponsible people who let their beloved (aka ill mannered) dogs trash other peoples homes have made it so.

I did think about saying she could be crated Megan but I don't want her discouraged from getting up and moving into a more comfortable position due to a crate. She's already so protective of her sore leg touching something that unless I had an XXL crate this would be difficult for her I think. But shes well behaved, she will just stay on her bed when told. Thanks for the suggestion though :).