Lilydale Lake, Victoria

JulesP

I saw on FB yesterday that someone was having to put their dog down after it swam in Lilydale Lake, Victoria. It had been poisoned by blue algae and its kidneys had shut down. I couldn't find anything official yesterday but a Yarra Ranges Councillor has just shared this:

Lilydale Lake

• We understand Melbourne Water is currently investigating a report about blue green algae in the lake and is testing the water. They will advise us of the results once they are available, which they are expecting will be over the next couple of days.

• It’s important to remember that swimming in Lillydale Lake is not recommended at any time, and there is signage at the lake advising this.

• Further information about the results of Melbourne Water’s investigations will be available on Council’s website and Facebook page once we receive more details.

So it might be a good idea to keep your pets out of the lake at the moment. They have had an issue with this in the past and ended up draining the lake.

Yeah I haven't been for a couple of weeks so was thinking about heading down this week.

A friend shared it on FB but it is on the Yarra Ranges Council FB page.

I am slightly baffled though as apparently there are signs up saying no swimming. Which I can't say I've seen. But if they don't want people swimming in there why the hell did they build 2 beaches??? Heaps of kids swim in the lake.

Yeah I haven't been for a couple of weeks so was thinking about heading down this week.

A friend shared it on FB but it is on the Yarra Ranges Council FB page.

I am slightly baffled though as apparently there are signs up saying no swimming. Which I can't say I've seen. But if they don't want people swimming in there why the hell did they build 2 beaches??? Heaps of kids swim in the lake.

yeah I don't remember seeing any no swimming signs either, plenty of kids going for a dip and dogs swimming and drinking the lake water.

There definitely aren't signs saying not to swim. There are signs about the water and signs saying no diving. There are also signs saying not to swim directly after heavy rain due to water pollution.

Also, dogs are not allowed to swim in the lake. They are allowed to swim in the creek though.

There aren't actually signs saying dogs aren't allowed in the lake. They aren't allowed on the beach and the lake is onlead. I often dunk mine in the lake , onlead, half way round on warmish days.

The tests have come back as the blue algae being within safe limits for humans and pets.

Perhaps the dog was already having kidney issues unknown to the owners and the algae was the final kick.

Did the dog swim in the lake a lot? One swim might be fine but if he did it a lot and quite frequently then there could have been a toxic build up. That can happen to people too.

Was it actually the algae or was it coincidence the dog had kidney failure after swimming? I'll assume the autopsy is correct though but it's a bit of Chinese whispers as to how and what exactly. How much. Small dog. Dog age. Condition of kidneys etc etc

Makes sense to warn ppl against swimming in it while investigating a report. It'd be irresponsible not to advise.

Mine and many friends' dogs have been swimming there for years doing water rescue, and we have never had a problem, for humans or dogs. There are always people there kayaking and sailing, so I think that you will be safe Jules.

Just like with swimming in any lake or river, take extra precautions after recent rainfall, and rinse off thoroughly.

Edited by grumpette

Mine and many friends' dogs have been swimming there for years doing water rescue, and we have never had a problem, for humans or dogs. There are always people there kayaking and sailing, so I think that you will be safe Jules.

Just like with swimming in any lake or river, take extra precautions after recent rainfall, and rinse off thoroughly.

I am simply reporting what the council are saying for people's information. What you do with the information is up to you.

I have also been using the lake for a very long time and am slightly baffled by the don't go in the water message from the council. Seeing as how it has been built to go into the water. Beaches, boat ramps etc

I was told quite grumpily that there are signs saying don't swim in the lake.

I am simply reporting what the council are saying for people's information. What you do with the information is up to you.

I have also been using the lake for a very long time and am slightly baffled by the don't go in the water message from the council. Seeing as how it has been built to go into the water. Beaches, boat ramps etc

I was told quite grumpily that there are signs saying don't swim in the lake.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend. I was just trying to be reassuring.

• 1 month later...

We have a local-ish bad outbreak here in central Vic. Swimming in the Loddon River is common, but it's been declared dangerous I think from around Newstead up to Bridgewater and community notices about the algae popping up on all the phone apps alongside CFA bushfire warnings and incidents.

Is the birdlife on Lilydale Lake being affected - I thought they were the main reason dogs aren't ever supposed to swim in the lake, disturbing nesting waterbirds etc. If algae is killing the fish it will be hard on the birds too.

Of interest, here is yesterday's report on blue green algae (for anyone thinking of holidaying or living in the area):

Here's a map of the current spread:

http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond-local/?id=0466764c-21af-4855-a6b1-c676706e905d

Here's the details:

Community Update - Other

Community Update

Blue Green Algal Bloom Murray River

ISSUED: 11/03/16 5:00 PM

This update is being issued by Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning for the Murray River.

Incident Information:

High levels of blue-green algae have been detected in the River Murray between Lake Hume and Barham/Koondrook, the channels servicing the Murray Valley Irrigation area, the Torrumbarry Irrigation area east of the Loddon River and the Loddon River between Cairn Curran and Laaencoorie.

Lake Hume, Lake Mulwala, Lake Moodemere, Reedy Lake and Lake Boga are also part of the affected area.

High levels of blue-green algae do not always colour the water blue or green. The water can look yellow, brown, red, blue or green, or there may be no visible colour change at all.

It is not known how long the blue-green algae will remain at high levels. Water Authorities and the Murray Regional Algal Coordinating Committee are continuing to monitor the situation closely and will remove the warning when blue-green algae returns to a safe level.

Health & Wellbeing Information:

Blue-green algae is potentially toxic to humans. For your safety, avoid direct contact with the affected water.

Do not use the water for cooking, drinking, washing or showering. Boiling the water will not make it safe for these purposes.

If you do come into contact with the affected water, wash your skin immediately in clean cool water. Medical attention should be sough if you experience any symptoms resulting from contact with algae including skin rashes, itchiness, sore eyes, ears or nose, nausea or vomiting.

Water Supply:

Town water supplies provided by Urban Water Authorities remain unaffected and is safe for drinking and domestic use.

People on non mains water should contact their relevant water provider for advice and support.

An alternative water source should be used, where possible, for spraying and irrigating crops.