Desexing A Female

jars

My general advice would be "not before six months". If you can hold off a little longer, that's great but if a bitch in season would be a major headache, I'd go now.

Thanks for this. That's how I am approaching it now. Will hold it off for as long as I can. The breeder said that they tend to get to their full height at around 8 months, so will wait till that age. If she happens to have her first season by then, we will just manage it as best as we can.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences/thoughts.

My general advice would be "not before six months". If you can hold off a little longer, that's great but if a bitch in season would be a major headache, I'd go now.

Thanks for this. That's how I am approaching it now. Will hold it off for as long as I can. The breeder said that they tend to get to their full height at around 8 months, so will wait till that age. If she happens to have her first season by then, we will just manage it as best as we can.

don't worry, it is not a disease...and hell won't freeze over and there won't be male dogs queuing in front of the house. We walked our dog when she was in season and had no problems at all when meeting other dogs. (Most of the dogs we know anyway and strangers which male dogs were informed with a short 'she's on heat' and passed in a distance). Obviously it is not recommended to allow her access to rooms with carpet (or you have to use some kind of nappies) and you can't let her run outside without a leash.

don't worry, it is not a disease...and hell won't freeze over and there won't be male dogs queuing in front of the house.

We walked our dog when she was in season and had no problems at all when meeting other dogs. (Most of the dogs we know anyway and strangers which male dogs were informed with a short 'she's on heat' and passed in a distance). Obviously it is not recommended to allow her access to rooms with carpet (or you have to use some kind of nappies) and you can't let her run outside without a leash.

Maybe not, but it does still require some management. OP sounds like they mean they will do as best they can and manage as well as they can for as long as possible.

No need to be so condescending.

don't worry, it is not a disease...and hell won't freeze over and there won't be male dogs queuing in front of the house.

We walked our dog when she was in season and had no problems at all when meeting other dogs. (Most of the dogs we know anyway and strangers which male dogs were informed with a short 'she's on heat' and passed in a distance). Obviously it is not recommended to allow her access to rooms with carpet (or you have to use some kind of nappies) and you can't let her run outside without a leash.

Maybe not, but it does still require some management. OP sounds like they mean they will do as best they can and manage as well as they can for as long as possible.

No need to be so condescending.

Yep. Plenty of "oops" puppies around to prove that!

There's no way I'd want an agile Kelpie or roaming Staffie (examples only!) jumping my fence after following a scent trail home! (Especially with the multiple wee's probably happening among the way).

Edited by Roova

Actually you could very well have male dogs queuing in front of your house. Especially if you are irresponsible like some and walk her from home (leaving a scent trail)

well, that's what we did...and no male dog in front of our house and howling...30 years ago neutering was pretty rare, and none of our neighbours had any issues with their bitches (nor did we)...I think we used something called 'common sense' in this times :)

Edited by Willem

Actually you could very well have male dogs queuing in front of your house. Especially if you are irresponsible like some and walk her from home (leaving a scent trail)

In 30 years of owning entire bitches, most of that time in suburbia, I have never had that happen

In 30 years of owning entire bitches, most of that time in suburbia, I have never had that happen

I haven't has bitches in season in suburbia for that length of time :) but I too have never had a problem with stray male dogs trespassing. Might be because I don't walk the bitch leaving a scent trail for randy dogs. I have always managed to keep them occupied and well exercised in the back yard whilst they are in season without having to take the risk.

All it takes is a loose, experienced intact male and approx. 2 seconds and you have a mating. Seen it happen! No walks for my bitch when she's in season. I think that's common sense.

Not for everyone, as kids we only ever had desexed dogs. Not til I was an adult did I look into management of entire dogs/bitches and there's a lot to know! I wouldn't have thought of pee trails leaving scent off the top of my head, I probably would have thought dog is more antsy than normal, she needs a good walk.

Course it makes sense now, but I wouldn't have thought of it initially.

It's not just innate knowledge unfortunately!

All it takes is a loose, experienced intact male and approx. 2 seconds and you have a mating. Seen it happen! No walks for my bitch when she's in season. I think that's common sense.

...that must have been one of these turbo-studs designer breeds :laugh: ...I guess a lot of breeders would be interested in this trait :D ...

Edited by Willem

...that must have been one of these turbo-studs designer breeds :laugh: ...I guess a lot of breeders would be interested in this trait :D ...

I know of a JR dog that tied with the bitch as soon as she hopped out of the car, door didn't even get shut. As the saying goes "in like Flynn"

Willem I'm guessing you haven't had much to do with many experienced studs ...