General Golden Retriever Questions

phpdoglover

Hi everyone,

This is my first on this forum and I've just signed up to do some research into my venture into finding the perfect pup.

I have grown up with Golden Retrievers and absolutely love them to bits. I know they're a breed that can be a little bit more work than some but I believe the benefits far outweigh the work/money.

I was hoping to call upon some fellow dog lovers to point me in the right direction.

So, my only questions are as follows:

1. What breeders would you recommend? I live in the ACT but I would be willing to travel interstate to find a pup. I am after a reputable breeder who sires a line that is quite "golden" in colour - I've always been a fan of the darker golds and I understand that there are various types of goldens (i.e. English, Canadian and American). Personally, I grew up with a goldie who was quite dark in colour when compared to a lot that I see around these days and it's not imperative that I find one who is a nice golden Golden Retriever, but it would be nice; and
  2. Is there anything that I should be made aware of whilst looking for my pup? What I mean by this is, are there any particular trends going around now in the Golden Retriever breeding circuit that are detrimental to the dogs health and going to cause for a life of constant vet visits over a happy/healthy pup? (I don't really think this is a question that will get any responses... but it's worth asking); and

Thanks in advance :-)

Pat

Hi :)

have you had a read thru this info yet? CLICK HERE

there is a list of breeders here -. Buying from an ethical breeder who health tests stock for genetic problems ,lets a buyer see results, breeds with a view to improving the breed,and is open & honest in communication is important :)

CLICK HERE

that's all I can think of :)

Edited by persephone

Thanks guys, I'll check these out. I'm definitely going through a breeder I can trust - one that is transparent.

I should also mention, I'm open to adopting an older (still young) dog. I've contacted Golden Retriever Rescue (GRR) but through some friend's experiences with them, I understand they can be a little picky and sometimes for the wrong reasons.... a friend wasn't permitted to adopt a dog because their fence was too low... They subsequently bought one from a breeder and Bailey is very loved and well looked after.

Firstly I would like to thank you for coming on and asking first. :thumbsup: So much more sensible than asking after you have bought one. My suggestion would be to attend some dog shows and see what you may prefer that is before your eyes. You can always strike up a friendship with some of the breeders and be guided by they have to say. Best of luck in your search.

There is a dog show this weekend in Bungendore. It's a two day affair with over 600 exhibits replacing the dog section of the annual ag show. It's free to get in and likely to be cooler than the ag show which is being held a week later. 8.00am to 1.00pm both days if you can make it.

You asked about trends . ..

Show breeding has steered the golden away from darker shades, and toward a heavier coat and heavier build. It has also produced a temperament that is pretty different from the working / hunting golden. I'd recommend this article: http://www.appliedanimalbehaviour.com/article/S0168-1591%2805%2900160-7/abstract

If you want a beautiful dog with a flowing rich cream-colored coat, go for a show dog . . . though you may find you need to select around some temperament faults. If you're looking for the traditional, somewhat rougher, reddish coat dog that is at home in the field, look for someone who breeds working goldies.

Scottie Westfall of the Retrieverman Blog has written some good posts on working goldens. Here's a couple posts:

http://retrieverman.net/2009/01/28/a-good-page-on-the-working-golden-retriever-in-britain/

http://retrieverman.net/2010/01/31/so-you-want-a-golden-retriever/

Sadly, Scottie has gotten so fed up with the social (and antisocial) aspects of the dogworld that he recently stopped writing about retrievers.

Guest crazydoglady99

There's no such thing as silly questions!!

Good luck with it :) Hope you find what you're looking for :)

Thanks guys, I'll check these out. I'm definitely going through a breeder I can trust - one that is transparent.

I should also mention, I'm open to adopting an older (still young) dog. I've contacted Golden Retriever Rescue (GRR) but through some friend's experiences with them, I understand they can be a little picky and sometimes for the wrong reasons.... a friend wasn't permitted to adopt a dog because their fence was too low... They subsequently bought one from a breeder and Bailey is very loved and well looked after.

I adopted my gorgeous girl from GRR, & they were so very lovely to deal with. They found me the perfect dog. They get a lot of enquiries and care a lot about their dogs, I know they have a number of criteria that prospective adopters need to fulfil- the fence height being one. I don't think that's a bad thing.