Saint Bernard Please

Hi Folks

After a lot of research and contemplation, my dog and I have come to the decision that we should get a second dog, and he should be a Saint Bernard.

Maybe I will end up buying a puppy from a reputable breeder, but having been involved with rescue previously I much prefer to adopt than buy. Saints are said to be "low popularity and high dumpage", but I don't think they are in shelters or rescue/foster very often, or maybe they just get snapped up quickly. I would like to let you know about the home I can offer, and perhaps if we are suitable for a needy Saint you come across, you might get in touch with me.

There are several reasons we would like our new friend to be so young (up to a year). He will be less likely to dominate my current dog or make him feel threatened. He will be smaller/lighter, so will physically be easier to train (when fully grown he will weigh more than me). I want to do a lot of obedience training with the new dog and ultimately would like him to become a Pets As Therapy dog, providing the drool doesn't preclude them! Also, the lifespan of these dogs is unfairly brief and I want for the new dog to still be around when/after my current 8yo GR eventually goes to the rainbow bridge, which I expect won't be for several years or more.

I quit full time work last year, partly so I can spend more time with my dog. Loving life! I work for myself from home, so will be with the dogs most of the time and they will be inside most of the time. I have a suburban home, but a large backyard with high colourbond fencing and certainly enough room for the three of us. Have two boxes of dog toys already waiting. Until the young fella is trained up I will walk them separately. I would be willing to undergo house checks and normal adoption procedures, and can travel within NSW to pick up our new friend.

Although he'll be sharing the home as part of the family, I'll also be crate training the new arrival, so I'm on the lookout for massive crates. 122x74x82cm is the largest I've seen so far. Do they make ones large enough for adult Saints? I can potentially construct one.

Cheers :)

Good luck on your search!

I think re: your "crate" situation" you might find yourself constructing a pen :laugh: maybe you could just put a screen door on a room (I joke... I own a small dog...my mind often boggles at how different life would be with a big dog in the house - I mean my 10 kilo boy hardly fits on the king size bed - where would I sleep if he was bigger?)

I'd also suggest you "let your fingers do the walking" and you hit the phones.

There is this guy listed on DOL at the moment:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/st-bernard.asp

and these guys advertising litters

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies/st-bernard.asp

They might know of mature dogs also needing homes. If it was me - I'd call rather than email if possible - let them know you're genuine and not just kicking tires so to speak.

That young rough boy has just turned three. He's also very far away. I didn't ask more about him because I think he's not the one for me :)

Yes, sounds like a good idea to call NSW breeders to let them know if they have any puppies returned to them or young ones they become aware of that need rehoming I would be interested to know about them.

Thanks for your input :)

Edited by Bigsley

Good luck on your search!

I think re: your "crate" situation" you might find yourself constructing a pen :laugh: maybe you could just put a screen door on a room (I joke... I own a small dog...my mind often boggles at how different life would be with a big dog in the house - I mean my 10 kilo boy hardly fits on the king size bed - where would I sleep if he was bigger?)

I'd also suggest you "let your fingers do the walking" and you hit the phones.

There is this guy listed on DOL at the moment:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/st-bernard.asp

and these guys advertising litters

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies/st-bernard.asp

They might know of mature dogs also needing homes. If it was me - I'd call rather than email if possible - let them know you're genuine and not just kicking tires so to speak.

Totally agree with all of this. That's exactly how we got our first Tibetan Spaniel. Phoned around the breeders, who were all lovely & helpful. Followed up, with those who might be interested in adopting to us, a summary of our history of owning dogs & the living/caring conditions we could offer. We finished up with a gorgeous young Tibbie. Wish you the best, too.

Edited by mita

Also agree about contacting rescue groups specific for breeds; I'm sure there would be a SB rescue group somewhere. Even if they don't' have any dogs in their region they might know of someone in yours.

Breeders are another choice; responsible owners should return their pet back to the breeder (for whatever reason) and they may have a young dog available...again or might know of someone else who has one.

Looking forward to a happy result and seeing some photos. :)