Leaving My Puppy Home For 8 Hours

CryWulf

Gorgeous. :love:

(I see a collar on puppy in the pic and hopefully you already know this, but I'd not be leaving a collar on the pup when he's alone, so many accidents waiting to happen, sadly a few members on this forum have lost dogs to strangulation with collars :()

Hi,

Thanks!

No We only put it on him when we are home for leash training.

That one I thought of immediately as the collar is just a bit to big at the moment.

That's good to know :)

I personally think that he is too young to be left at home by himself for eight hours a day.

I do not sell my babies to anyone who does not have someone in the home most of the time, they need to be fed on a regular basis during the day,

could injure themselves if left to be able to access the back yard, with hot weather could suffer from heat stress, these are just some of the things that babies have to be monitored for.

I agree with you 100% in the case of your breed, and many other breeds.

However, I would like to hear input from breeders of this breed or similar livestock guardian breeds, before agreeing that his breed is too young for this. There are developmental differences and I suspect that this would not be a problem for a correctly reared livestock guardian breed in a safe environment.

I personally think that he is too young to be left at home by himself for eight hours a day.

I do not sell my babies to anyone who does not have someone in the home most of the time, they need to be fed on a regular basis during the day,

could injure themselves if left to be able to access the back yard, with hot weather could suffer from heat stress, these are just some of the things that babies have to be monitored for.

I agree with you 100% in the case of your breed, and many other breeds.

However, I would like to hear input from breeders of this breed or similar livestock guardian breeds, before agreeing that his breed is too young for this. There are developmental differences and I suspect that this would not be a problem for a correctly reared livestock guardian breed in a safe environment.

Hi,

Thanks for the input :)

He's a rather independent puppy as typical of his breed, he is already trying to herd us as if we're sheep haha he's in a safe environment.

We still shower him with affection but most of the time he'll just do his own thing, when he wants to play he lets us know and then I play with him until he runs out of steam. He's a good puppy & very smart.

There has been a forecast for thunderstorms in our area tomorrow and my partner has the day off so she is going to stay home and see how he goes through that.

Hopefully you're also getting him out and about for some positive experiences with the world too? A bike pram might be handy to push a big puppy around if you don't have many safe areas while he's not fully vaccinated?

It's such a small window where they soak up the world readily and take everything in their stride as opposed to when a bit older and more wary. Sorry if you're already doing this.

When I have had young puppies I have always had someone come in at lunchtime to feed and play with the puppy. At 10 weeks he will still be on a lunch time meal I assume. Leaving food has never worked for mine as they eat it very quickly and then there is nothing for the rest of the day which isn't suitable

Hi,

New to the forum.

We are looking at a husky puppy and will be in a similar situation. I will be looking to adopt in December this year and will take 2-3 weeks off work to adjust the pup to the home.

He will have the laundry as his home base if you will and can roam around the house as well as using outside where I will have a kennel

Unfortunately after that period is done I'll be back at work 9-5. We have plenty of time for excersise before and after work.

My concern is leaving him at home for that period of time. I'll most likely leave him outside so he can do his business and have a space to lay down. We will have 8 foot fences and it's all closed in.

Thoughts? I'd leave him inside but I fear he will pee every where!

Hi,

New to the forum.

We are looking at a husky puppy and will be in a similar situation. I will be looking to adopt in December this year and will take 2-3 weeks off work to adjust the pup to the home.

He will have the laundry as his home base if you will and can roam around the house as well as using outside where I will have a kennel

Unfortunately after that period is done I'll be back at work 9-5. We have plenty of time for excersise before and after work.

My concern is leaving him at home for that period of time. I'll most likely leave him outside so he can do his business and have a space to lay down. We will have 8 foot fences and it's all closed in.

Thoughts? I'd leave him inside but I fear he will pee every where!

perhaps start a new thread? - it becomes very messy when you break into someones else's conversation ;)

Edited by persephone

G'Day Guys,

Hope everyone had a great AUS Day yesterday.

Thanks for the all advice and viewpoints gives me a lot to draw from, I am very appreciative! :thumbsup:

We are now on the second week and he has seemed to adjusted to the routine but only time will tell.

Wish me luck!