Franklin The Gungahlin Maremma

Tempus Fugit

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gosh this dog! I live nearby and recently saw a motorbike swerve dangerously to miss him on the road.

Not the first time I've seen a near accident because of him.

Seems like a lovely dog but probably best off going to a maremma rescue and not living on suburban streets.

As much as I like the idea of him being able to live freely if he wants to, I think in reality he is at risk and is also a risk to the community :(

I think a coordinated approach should be made to catch him, and I think DAS does have primary responsibility for it. They know he is a roaming dog, regardless of whether they've had complaints about him, and he may not have hurt anyone or any other animal yet but that doesn't mean he won't, and if he gets hurt or sick and requires vet treatment how is he going to get it?

I would like to see DAS and RSPCA appoint either a staff member or suitably qualified volunteer who lives in the area to establish a relationship with him and catch him as soon as practicable in a lower stress way, before a problem arises and DAS has to try and capture him more forcefully, which would be worse for him :(

As much as I like the idea of him being able to live freely if he wants to, I think in reality he is at risk and is also a risk to the community :(

I think a coordinated approach should be made to catch him, and I think DAS does have primary responsibility for it. They know he is a roaming dog, regardless of whether they've had complaints about him, and he may not have hurt anyone or any other animal yet but that doesn't mean he won't, and if he gets hurt or sick and requires vet treatment how is he going to get it?

I would like to see DAS and RSPCA appoint either a staff member or suitably qualified volunteer who lives in the area to establish a relationship with him and catch him as soon as practicable in a lower stress way, before a problem arises and DAS has to try and capture him more forcefully, which would be worse for him :(

This. That article is bullsh*t.

+1

I also find it interesting that lots of people loudly demand leash laws are obeyed and dogs adequately fed/sheltered and vetted but when it comes to this one its endearing that a lot of that isn't being met?

Surely it isn't in the dogs best interests to wander until inevitability a car accident or an injury or illness takes his life?

Franklin is a special case. I have followed his story for a couple of years now and was aware of reports of him before that. He is Canberra's own 'Red Dog' if you will. He has the support of a lot of the community who care for him, watch out for him and report on his movements. Yes they worry about him, but he is kind of a special case. When the dog control and the RSPCA support leaving him be you know this is no ordinary dog! I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his own statue one day. Frankie's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FranklinTheGungahlinMaremma/?fref=ts

Edited by espinay2

Franklin is a special case. I have followed his story for a couple of years now and was aware of reports of him before that. He is Canberra's own 'Red Dog' if you will. He has the support of a lot of the community who care for him, watch out for him and report on his movements. Yes they worry about him, but he is kind of a special case. When the dog control and the RSPCA support leaving him be you know this is no ordinary dog! I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his own statue one day. Frankie's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/FranklinTheGungahlinMaremma/?fref=ts

That might well be - but what the hell happens the day he comes across a highly reactive DA dog?

Or causes a car accident?

or needs medical attention?

I couldn't agree with Step M more in this case.

I also find it interesting that lots of people loudly demand leash laws are obeyed and dogs adequately fed/sheltered and vetted but when it comes to this one its endearing that a lot of that isn't being met?

Surely it isn't in the dogs best interests to wander until inevitability a car accident or an injury or illness takes his life?

I agree with this post. If the dog is hit by a car it would indeed be sad for the dog but what about the driver and any passengers? They could be seriously injured or even killed or someone could swerve to miss the dog and have a head on collision.

This Maremma is a dog and it deserves proper care, not to be the stuff of urban myth. People have even referred to it as a 'ghost dog'. It is a real dog and it deserves (nay needs) adequate food (balanced diet), shelter (It is freezing in Canberra in winter), and veterinary care (Has it been immunised?) just like any other dog in the ACT. It should also be desexed (as per ACT law). What happens if the person feeding it (who has no responsibility for it) is no longer able to? What will this dog eat? Chickens, cats etc.

I believe it is cruel to allow the dog to continue to exist in the way it has been doing for the last few years. Poor dog!

Sorry but this is romantic nonsense! Why is this dog a special case? 'Red Dog' (if he really existed) lived in country towns. This dog lives in suburbia. Plus I don't think Red Dog had a happy life.

To get a statue presumably the dog will be dead. I wonder how it will die.

The people posting on that Facebook page seem to know very little about dogs and their needs and how to care for them. It's mostly just twaddle.

I appreciate the sentiment regarding this dog doing his own thing but I worry about regular maintenance stuff for him - ticks, fleas, worming, burrs in his coat (I'm guessing heart worm is not a big issue down there?). They've also said he isn't great on the roads and that worries me too. I suspect a local vet would do his vet work for free but I'd rather he didn't get hit by a car in the first place. Yes it might initially be quite stressful for him being caught but can't you see him as the resident dog at say a farm rescue place? He would be safe, have a purpose and be surrounded by people who understand he might need to be managed a little differently and have his space.

I agree with this post. If the dog is hit by a car it would indeed be sad for the dog but what about the driver and any passengers? They could be seriously injured or even killed or someone could swerve to miss the dog and have a head on collision.

This Maremma is a dog and it deserves proper care, not to be the stuff of urban myth. People have even referred to it as a 'ghost dog'. It is a real dog and it deserves (nay needs) adequate food (balanced diet), shelter (It is freezing in Canberra in winter), and veterinary care (Has it been immunised?) just like any other dog in the ACT. It should also be desexed (as per ACT law). What happens if the person feeding it (who has no responsibility for it) is no longer able to? What will this dog eat? Chickens, cats etc.

I believe it is cruel to allow the dog to continue to exist in the way it has been doing for the last few years. Poor dog!

I assume he'd be desexed at least - being an escaped rescue / having been adopted at some stage.

I wonder too - if the RSPCA have said he's OK - are they ultimately responsible for him if he does cause a serious issue?

I'd also worry about him possibly getting flyblown at some stage.

I'm not saying give him a home and a crate and expect him to fit in to a family with everything being hunky dory, but surely he can live out his life in a secure paddock with someone to keep a better eye on him.

I assume he'd be desexed at least - being an escaped rescue / having been adopted at some stage.

I wonder too - if the RSPCA have said he's OK - are they ultimately responsible for him if he does cause a serious issue?

I'd also worry about him possibly getting flyblown at some stage.

I'm not saying give him a home and a crate and expect him to fit in to a family with everything being hunky dory, but surely he can live out his life in a secure paddock with someone to keep a better eye on him.

I think he was adopted from DAS and escaped from his new home the next day. DAS is a pound not a rescue. They do not desex dogs but dogs leave there with a desexing voucher for use at the RSPCA. I don't know if this dog is desexed or not.

Edited to change 'rescued' in the first line to 'adopted' which is more accurate.

Edited by sarspididious