Franklin The Gungahlin Maremma

Tempus Fugit

The only people who risk losing body parts are the ones who are attempting to catch him when he doesnt know who you are. Otherwise, he is a smart boy who loves the families in his territory.

Unfortunately I don't believe for a second they are going to do anything about it. None of the people that feed him are interested in helping him. I have personally called DAS to voice my concern after nearly hitting Franklin one day, and was just laughed off. A friend of mine's daughter who is very dog savvy was also apparently nearly bitten by him when she startled him accidentally.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only people who risk losing body parts are the ones who are attempting to catch him when he doesnt know who you are. Otherwise, he is a smart boy who loves the families in his territory.

Andrea from what I understand my friend's daughter (who is in her 20s) was simply walking by him and had not noticed him sleeping and he had not noticed her! She was definitely not trying to catch him as she knows much better than that. I didn't see the interaction though so of course can't say 100% what was going on- I am just going by what my friend said.

Gungahlin has a population of over 46,000 people. That's a lot of families.

So apparently he is smart and causes no issues and should be left alone.

However in the fairly small universe of DOL people have been snapped/nearly bitten and numerous accoubts of near misses with hitting him and accidents with bikes etc. Hmmmm the romantic notion and reality and slowly creeping further apart it seems.

The fact that people he doesn't know who may try to catch him are at risk of injury is yet another reason why he SHOULD be caught, not a reason he should be left to roam!!

It is not fair or realistic to just expect every person who may come across him to know his story and accept that he is some apparent special case, and then imply that if a person is injured by him they are at fault, when not only is he a known roaming dog but apparently people that know him are aware that under certain circumstances he may well bite.

Not to mention that if he does hurt someone for whatever reason he almost definitely would then be PTS.

I have talked to Maremma Rescue and offered to help with Franklin. The problem is his carers here in Canberra do NOT want him caught. *also chopped *

Maremma Rescue could take him as a private surrender (once owner contact details are found from his microchip), or if he was impounded as a rescue from the pound.

----start of conversation---

... chopped ...

----end of conversation---

Unfortunately I don't believe for a second they are going to do anything about it. None of the people that feed him are interested in helping him. I have personally called DAS to voice my concern after nearly hitting Franklin one day, and was just laughed off. A friend of mine's daughter who is very dog savvy was also apparently nearly bitten by him when she startled him accidentally.

Just an observation - I don't think it's entirely appropriate for you to copy what this person probably assumed a private conversation into a public forum. I'd be peeved, actually livid, if I ever found a facebook conversation of mine repeated verbatim on a public forum.

Edited by Scottsmum

Another thing to consider is that some sickos like to kill special animals who are popular. He is at large and people won't be able to protect him from those sorts. I believe he should be caught for his own good too but he's not just a risk to others, he is at risk from bad people.

Yeah there was this story on FB about this lovely black wolf that was hanging out near a town and going on walks with the town dogs. Of course I had to read up more about him and some sick f*** shot him. He was so pretty.

You are right Scottsmum that was not very nice of me :( I've now removed it (you might want to edit it out of yours as well?)

Just so frustrated by the lack of action.

Yeh - i chopped before i posted ;)

& i agree i actually said this before here i was thinking they couldn't catch him & their there patting him! Fools really.

So many ACT laws are being ignored by allowing this dog to roam. Does anyone know if this dog is desexed? How can the government justify this? Has Meegan Fitzharris ever responded to the posts on her Facebook page? Perhaps an email to Andrew Barr's office might be in order or how about the opposition?

I don't think he is desexed. Someone recently asked this on his facebook page and then jokingly (hopefully!) said they were going to mate their female dog with him and make mini-Franklins.

Think this might be his pound photo from 2011. If that is him, then he is listed on original pound listing as not desexed.

30972.jpg

Another thing to consider is that some sickos like to kill special animals who are popular. He is at large and people won't be able to protect him from those sorts. I believe he should be caught for his own good too but he's not just a risk to others, he is at risk from bad people.

Yeah there was this story on FB about this lovely black wolf that was hanging out near a town and going on walks with the town dogs. Of course I had to read up more about him and some sick f*** shot him. He was so pretty.

That's exactly what I'm worried about too. You hear stories about famous animals being targeted. Mum used to go to a little scuba town where a huge bonded pair of grouper became well known and some oxygen thief went and killed one with his spearfishing thing.

So many ACT laws are being ignored by allowing this dog to roam. Does anyone know if this dog is desexed? How can the government justify this? Has Meegan Fitzharris ever responded to the posts on her Facebook page? Perhaps an email to Andrew Barr's office might be in order or how about the opposition?

I posted on her page again yesterday asking for an update, no response yet.

I posted on her page again yesterday asking for an update, no response yet.

I think she might be busy. I found this on the Internet.

https://www.change.org/p/act-government-have-an-inquiry-into-domestic-animal-services-and-it-s-administration-find-out-why-so-many-mistakes-are-made-improve-the-processes-change-the-culture-and-reprimand-staff-accor

'Local government' type law enforcement in the ACT is a joke. Parking on nature strips is supposed to be illegal but walk around any suburb of an evening and there are dozens of cars parked on nature strips. Go to the local shops in the evening or at weekends and there is usually a shopper's car parked in the taxi rank. There are laws about keeping nature strips clear for pedestrians but for many homeowners if their cars are not on the nature strip then they have landscaped it so pedestrians are forced to walk on the road.

So if car owners and homeowners don't have to obey the law, why should dog owners have to?