Walking Down The Street

Monchichi

Hi All,

sorry if this has been discussed before. I just couldn't find it.

just wondering, are dogs are allowed legally to be walked off leash on streets around your house/neighbourhood?

as far as I knew, dog should be on leash ALL the time unless in designated dog off leash park?

I encounter so many people around my neighbourhood walking their dogs without leash, the leash is hanging as decoration on their neck! :mad and most of the time 8/10 these dogs charge up to my white fluffy dog! that being said I tried so hard to react quickly, either turning the other way as soon as I spot these idiots or cross the street (where possible). however, there are times that I just couldn't escape eg as we just turn the corner or those idiots just turn the corner and we are like 5 meters different.

And what to do if the dog approach us (my dog) and start growling or even once before try to bite my dog :mad

I was yelling at the owner to get their dogs, but 5/10 they pretend not hearing me or even abused me back?? :eek:

Shall I kick those dogs? or shall I bring a stick and beat those dogs with the stick? I am nearly at my wits end now.

Welcome to life in suburbia with people doing what they want. Its the bane of every responsible dog owners existence!

If its regular and you can predict when most of the dogs are out and about off lead can you organise for a council member to be in the street to give the owners a warning\fine etc?

I do my best to avoid the time slots of those lazy owners who walk around the pathways with their dogs off lead. I don't care if their dog is jesus reincarnated, they are being selfish and preventing the rest of us from also walking our dogs. It's very irresponsible.

For the offlead dogs I haven't managed to avoid, I throw some of our treats on the ground and turn around and walk away very fast (I practice "turn" with the dog a lot). Soon I will probably start yelling at them.

I like Roova's idea too :p

I thought walking with my dog will be a nice bonding time, but it turns to nightmare sometimes.

I try to walk my dog early in the morning 5.45am and walk different routes and try to not walk the route I frequently saw this woman with her 2 labs, one on leash one is off leash. 2 weeks ago the black one rushing to my dog...and yupe it was right in the corner of the street. If I have a heart problem, then I probably have had hearth attack at that time, it was so quick charging at us. I was screaming furiously...and no apology from the woman either...just keep walking and called her dog once.

sometimes I wonder where on this planet I can walk my dog safely...bring her to dog park/ dog beach...similar issue..big dogs rushing at her.

is it just because my dog white and fluffy? and no...she hardly bark or does anything silly in public. just mind her own business which is most of the time just sniffing on grass/ trees.

It's a pain isn't it.

It's not necessarily a good idea to go all aggressive on these dogs, sometimes it is better to use a sing-song voice that can help to de-escalate the situation. I know when husband yells at the off lead dog she becomes determined to nail it... Which isn't what I want! Whereas if I use a soothing voice it helps her to remain calm.

However with my old boy he was quite happy to sit back and have the humans move the dog on. It's a very individual thing.

Unfortunately if the off lead dog is really determined to attack your dog there really isn't a lot you can do :(

some info here about the legal site respectively leash laws - I would assume that the leash laws in Vic are similar to NSW.

@OP: considering the hefty fines for a dog off leash a friendly reminder might be the better approach before getting into a fight.

Where I live most dog owners know each other (from the dog walks :)) and I never had an intimidating experience when walking the dog, shyer or reactive dogs are left alone, only a few owners walk their dog off leash and these ones are really well trained and behaved and don't get distracted by other dogs or people...I guess we are lucky here :D .

thanks everyone for the input.

few months ago, this kind of small terrier cross was wondering around in one of neighbour's front yard. We were in opposite road, busy afternoon road. I spotted the dog, and no one else around the dog. and split second this dog saw us too and to my shock horror he run cross the street rushing to my dog. :eek: he gave a few growls at my dog then run. I stomped my foot on the floor and screamed at this dog to stop. so he moved but then as no one around us, I thought he probably a loose dog. I walked for 5 steps and turned around and I saw this dog run crossing the road again! OMFG...my heart stopped for 2secs! I frantically screamed to the approaching cars to stop. Lucky there was this guy in his bicycle stopped and cornered this dog to the opposite road. He thought it was my dog that loose. So I approached him and said not my dog. And as we were talking...a lady came out from her house and casually called the dog..it was HER dog apparently. And what did we get?? NOTHING! no sorry...no thanks...just saying "stupid dog" took the dog and slammed her door shut. she lives 10 houses down from me. :eek:

I always have my phone with me, I was tempting to take a photo of those people and their dogs and report to council. However, I am just afraid of they might get back at me eg kidnap my dog when I am not home etc.

one of the offender is living 3 doors from us. Every time we pass the house, the dog (king Charles cross pug I think) barked furiously from the window. And 2 nights ago, he charged at my dog not far from her house. The lady was o her phone...and just calmly called her dog and pretending we were not exist!

probably I live in the wrong suburb!

Monchichi

Since you know where they live, you can report it to your council and they'll likely give them a warning and possibly a fine. Not with my dog, but my housemate's dog, we had a similar situation where someone kept letting their dog run around and it would run across the road to bark and nip at my housemate's dogs. It got me on the leg once too (I was dogless at the time)

I got so irritated I reported it. Never saw it allowed loose in the front yard again (the kind of decorative fencing with wide spacing a dog can easily fit through). It was a menace to everyone and itself.

When you report to the council, and you can check if it helps you, they do not reveal your details to the person. They just say they had a report. If it's happening often, chances you're not the only one being rushed so it'd be hard to pin it down on you exactly.

If possible I would also stop walking locally, sounds like you have a dud street :(

@OP: if you know where the dogs live you can take photos from the dog off-leash, print it as a postcard and write your concerns down and also the possible consequences for the dog owner (without offending him / her)...try to keep it nice and throw it in the letter box. Some of the owners might be 'responsive', starting using common sense and showing some good will. Worth a try before things start escalating...

Edited by Willem

Just call your council and lodge a complaint. Much better than your dog getting attacked and then wishing you'd done something. If it's the same time, same route, same people, they should be able to patrol and fine offenders. Don't engage with people, they can be loonies and you already know they have no respect for others by their actions. I have no issue having a go at a dog that rushes me. My demeanor generally gets the point through to owners, as does a comment about using the dog as a football.

Was riding my horse one day and encountered an offlead dog that decided to start trotting towards us. I gave my horse a pat and told him not to worry, he was allowed to kill it if it came near him...... Never seen a dog put on a lead so fast :D

Every person who walks their dog off leash along the road will bewail and mourn when said dog ends up under a car.

Point out the risk and you'll get a range of excuses as to why this will never happen.

And yet, it does.

You can't fix stupid.

Drives me insane. If they can't keep their dogs away from yours, what chance have they got when you are on the other side of the road. I've already witnessed one dog hit in precisely such circumstances

:banghead:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

thanks everyone. I will take photo and report this to the council next time I see these offenders. but I hope not seeing them again!

I was about to cross the street as I saw this pug x rushing at us, but then I saw a car approaching...yes I still could manage to cross the street and safe, but maybe not that dog. so split second thought...I decided not to see dead dog in front of me. instead my dog got the growls and snapped at.

sometimes i wish the owner got hit by the car! not the dog.