Goodbye Gerty

dotdashdot

Meg, gerty, megerty, meggles, Kobelco Meg in a Million.

You are finally at peace. I can't believe we reached this point. For a lab you did pretty well, 14 years 9 months.

The vet told mum and dad that you'd be ready when you weren't enjoying life anymore. But that was the problem, you never stopped. You couldn't get up and down off the ground, and nothing worked as it used to, but you always had a smile and a wagging tail.

If all had gone to plan, you wouldn't have even been our dog. An unfortunate accident with the litter before you meant that you were ours, and on easter sunday, 2001, you were born.

You were a confidante, a friend, a teacher. So many things.

Easily the most patted dog in our town, with nearly every staff member at the PPP during your reign greeting you morning, and night.

After 10 years, moving away sent you into a depression of sorts, with no daily visitors. So along came Benji the mini schnauzer who brought back that spring in your step.

You've been there for so long Meggie, you watched me grow from a gangly 10 year old into a teen, into a woman and into a mother. I wanted just one photo of you with my baby boy but it wasn't to be. Your bark (happy, senile bark) scared him too much and he couldn't be next to you without crying!! But he knew you, for his short 6 months, and I will carry that in my heart.

Rest in peace old girl, you've earnt a good long rest.

Chase those rolly rocks along the beach for all of eternity, with no aching joints to bother you.

Swim against the current, in the deep holes of the creek.

Roll in the sand, and that perfect patch of grass that was different to all the rest on the walk home.