Keeping Maremma In

Morgan brand

How does everyone keep their maremma in their property? Do yours escape, jump fences, dig?

We are picking out pup in a few weeks we have brand new rural fencing ringlock and 3 strands of barbwire very tight and secure. What other precautions can we take to keep her in? If she gets loose it is possible she may get hit by a car or even shot!

Rural fencing is usually enough - though sometimes you do get a houdini .

Some use a yoke made from poly pipe = photos

If you never let your puppy off your property there is less likely hood that they will try to escape

When we place them on large properties the owners take the dogs around daily to let them know their boundary.If you take it for a walk then they think that everywhere you walk is their turf and part of what they need to guard.

post-199-0-49584600-1453437184_thumb.jpg

post-199-0-73741300-1453437206_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve

The biggest run is only 4x4 metres which is all we can afford for the time being. They aren't cheap. The sharpei will only be in the run while we are at work as well just to make sure he doesn't somehow escape. If we can afford it sure is build a huge one its just money is a factor. I'm only 19 and moving out of home for the first time

She won't be going off the property only within the fenced area. If we find she starts to wander I think a yoke is a great idea though she may look stupid but as long as she is safe

You usually only have to use it for a short time until they get the message.

The biggest run is only 4x4 metres which is all we can afford for the time being. They aren't cheap. The sharpei will only be in the run while we are at work as well just to make sure he doesn't somehow escape. If we can afford it sure is build a huge one its just money is a factor. I'm only 19 and moving out of home for the first time

What work do you want the Maremma to do while you are at work?

I noticed steve is posting ... take any advice she has to offer ..she knows maremmas inside & out!! :)

I'm no expert (Steve is) but I haven't heard of a Maremma leaving their flock/mob/colony/herd. I've heard such amazing stories of even 8 week old puppies walking their boundaries and watching what comes in and out. They need the boundary demonstrated clearly though in case they take on more...

Eta do you have any previous experience with Maremma? Or neighbours or breeder who can mentor you? From what I've learned over the years they're nothing like most dogs and it takes a lot of care to get things right, otherwise they can cause problems if you want visitors, postman, deliveries.

Edited by Katdogs

I'm just going to say something I actually consider pretty rude - but what the heck. Are you sure this is the right time to be getting any puppy? Let alone a LSD?

I only say this because you've stated on other threads that you're young, about to move out of home for the first time, renting, cash is tight and you're anticipating some issues with your other dog.

Personally (and 19 year old me would hate to have been told this) I think you should stop, not get the pup and settle yourself and your other dog. See how he settles into his new environment and give things a try first.

I will admit that my knowledge of Maremma is very limited but... I would assume they're not the kind of dog you get as a renter. What if you get moved on in 6 months?

As I said, I know this is probably rude, and I would have hated to have someone to say it to me - but maybe it's time to sit back. Settle into life out of home. Give your other pets a chance to adapt before taking on a puppy - which is always a huge responsibility no matter what breed.

I'm in my 30s and I can tell you- renting with a dog is hard, struggling to find the cash to make their lives better is hard. I'm not saying don't do it - but I am saying maybe you need to really seriously have a good hard think about it. For us (husband and wife) we've agreed one pet at a time for as long as we rent. Sadly that's all our finances and most land lords can cope with. Heck - the money I've spent on our dogs is probably close to a small deposit on a house.

I know it's probably not the right time it my circumstances have changed a lot since we purchased the puppy. We were meant to be moving elsewhere on my partners property but things change all of a sudden but we have already paid for our puppy and we are trying to make do with the situation

This is not just a temporary house we will be here for years to come as my uncle actually owns the property. It's on land we have sheep and chickens. We just want to do the best for our dogs and we are doing everything we can with what money we have. I'm not going to surrender our dogs because it's too hard. I'll spend the money to make sure they and the livestock are safe

I never said surrender - just thought I'd put it out there. There was never any question when I moved out of home about if my girl would come or not - but what it meant was that my (now) husband gave up his $200 a week flat to move into a 350 a week house - then when we were moved on 6 months later that became a 400 a week house - which was falling down around our ears - because that's all the real estate had on the books which was pet friendly. "They were doing us a favour as we were good tenants".

Fast forward a few years later, still renting and some junkie neighbours come on the scene - we find it hard to move again with a dog (althought being stuck in a home we owned with them there would have been a nightmare too) ...All in all - renting with pets is bloody hard work. Lots of us do it - but it can also mean some big sacrifices like not having the numbers or type of pets we always want.

I'm sure the breeder would understand if you said your couldn't do it at this stage.

Anyhow - it's an extremely personal decision and I'm not here to blag on at you until you either block me or change your mind. I just thought I'd put it out there.

:) Good on you for coming in and asking the right questions.

I'm no expert (Steve is) but I haven't heard of a Maremma leaving their flock/mob/colony/herd. I've heard such amazing stories of even 8 week old puppies walking their boundaries and watching what comes in and out. They need the boundary demonstrated clearly though in case they take on more...

Eta do you have any previous experience with Maremma? Or neighbours or breeder who can mentor you? From what I've learned over the years they're nothing like most dogs and it takes a lot of care to get things right, otherwise they can cause problems if you want visitors, postman, deliveries.

I'm not sure this Mareema will have any kind of a herd.

I can't give advice about LGDs beyond the fact that they will roam and that they are still dogs. I do know that knowledgeable LGD people don't expect pups to cope on their own or to respect boundaries until they are older.

If now is not a great time to add a pup to the family then all I can say is do the right thing by you and the pup and don't get it.

I wouldn't trust an eight week old pup of ANY breed to stay within ring lock fencing by itself. It would be better off in the run with the Sharpei when you are not at home.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I have a Shar Pei and while I couldn't be without him he is hard work and high maintenance I couldn't imagine adding another special kind of dog to the mix. Especially a puppy of working breed with what sounds like no work to do.

Hope it works out for you and especially for the dogs.

I have a Shar Pei and while I couldn't be without him he is hard work and high maintenance I couldn't imagine adding another special kind of dog to the mix. Especially a puppy of working breed with what sounds like no work to do.

Hope it works out for you and especially for the dogs.

Canetoad , I am so glad you popped in here- I have no experience with either breed , and was wondering about the logistics of having two so very different breeds in this situation ...What you posted is what I was thinking ...

I'm not sure this Mareema will have any kind of a herd.

I can't give advice about LGDs beyond the fact that they will roam and that they are still dogs. I do know that knowledgeable LGD people don't expect pups to cope on their own or to respect boundaries until they are older.

If now is not a great time to add a pup to the family then all I can say is do the right thing by you and the pup and don't get it.

I wouldn't trust an eight week old pup of ANY breed to stay within ring lock fencing by itself. It would be better off in the run with the Sharpei when you are not at home.

They roam if they dont know their boundary. One of the biggest issues is people who take them as pets and take them off the property for walks - as they get older they think they need to protect everything in that area - prime example is the Maremma running wild in Canberra - there is another quite famous one which guards a whole town in Colarado and keeps it free of Kyotes. I sent one home once to people who wanted a dog for chickens - worked really well except the man of the house was a taxi driver and refused to put a gate up so at around 8 months the dog began trying to bail up traffic on the outside road of the property . In my case way back 20 years ago I had a girl who lived as part of the family- most of my others are in the paddock working with sheep or chickens. At around 10 months as I opened the gate to drive through to pick up the kids she would race ahead of the car to clear the front paddock of foxes or roos etc .I would drive after her across the paddock and drag her into the car and take her back put her behind the gate and start again - But as time went on I learned all I needed to do was turn around - the minute I looked like I was going back into the yard she would go ahead of me to make sure where I was heading was safe .So I pretended to walk back up the driveway - she would go ahead and I would shut the gate, These days I have sort of an airlock. open one gate, drive through - shut that gate and open the next gate so they cant go ahead to be sure Im safe. If the kids are walking they will go ahead in which ever direction the kids are walking - bringing them back is simply a case of turning around - calling them is often a waste of breath. If a pup knows what its job is and what species it supposed to be guarding then it's very rare for them to want to move too far away form the "family" unless they have been taken there previously. But at around 8 months they start to move away from the family a bit more and guard a wider perimeter.

I placed one years ago which lived in suburbia in a cul de sac - every family that lived there loved it and spoke about how the dog would round up their toddlers and young kids and keep them off the streets It would take them home and sit with them until their Mum worked out they had escaped. Everyone adored him BUT at around 8 months he started to move out a little more each day and began trying to stop cars and strangers walking into the street and then the street that was at the end of their cul de sac - which they neighbours didn't seem to mind but the rest of the world didnt see the value at all.

What Im trying to say is this - it has to know it's own boundary and its unlikely it will escape when it is really young if you enable it to work out where its supposed to stay and what it is supposed to live with but talk with the breeder be honest and tell them your situation and take their advice.

If you were buying one of my puppies I would have some concerns which would need to be put at ease before I felt it was best for you and the dog for you to take one.

• 4 years later...
On 22/01/2016 at 3:33 PM, Steve said:

Rural fencing is usually enough - though sometimes you do get a houdini .

Some use a yoke made from poly pipe = photos

If you never let your puppy off your property there is less likely hood that they will try to escape

When we place them on large properties the owners take the dogs around daily to let them know their boundary.If you take it for a walk then they think that everywhere you walk is their turf and part of what they need to guard.

post-199-0-49584600-1453437184_thumb.jpg

post-199-0-73741300-1453437206_thumb.jpg

Steve I could really use your guidance. I've written a post but it hasn't been approved.

Maremma puppy about 16 weeks old, introduced slowly to chickens as they got more comfortable allowed to roam with chickens under supervision. Have corrected her behaviour a few times when she has chased them.

Yesterday she actually started to hurt them in the short time I left her alone to go to the toilet.

What am I doing wrong and how do i fix it?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Shar290 said:

Steve I could really use your guidance. I've written a post but it hasn't been approved.

Maremma puppy about 16 weeks old, introduced slowly to chickens as they got more comfortable allowed to roam with chickens under supervision. Have corrected her behaviour a few times when she has chased them.

Yesterday she actually started to hurt them in the short time I left her alone to go to the toilet.

What am I doing wrong and how do i fix it?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Haven't seen Steve on here for a very long time. Suggest you contact your breeder or see if there is a live stock guarding group on Facebook or similar

• Like 4