Need Help, Ideas, Problem Dog

Rascalmyshadow

Well we've had a much better day/night, I checked her plaster closely and found some of her long strands of hair

stuck under it. I have cut them away so there is no pulling on her skin, I also used a small amount of medical tape over the joins so there is no edges of plaster to try and grab.

We didn't have to use the puppy pen once yesterday and she's happy over night because she could sleep in her normal crate.

I've also bought a kong cushion collar incase we need it.

Thanks everyone for all the good ideas, my fatigued still pregnant brain is not functioning too well.

Well we've had a much better day/night, I checked her plaster closely and found some of her long strands of hair

stuck under it. I have cut them away so there is no pulling on her skin, I also used a small amount of medical tape over the joins so there is no edges of plaster to try and grab.

We didn't have to use the puppy pen once yesterday and she's happy over night because she could sleep in her normal crate.

I've also bought a kong cushion collar incase we need it.

Thanks everyone for all the good ideas, my fatigued still pregnant brain is not functioning too well.

:thumbsup:

When my girl had surgery for an MPL she didn't need a cone on unless I wasn't watching her. I would be careful with a cloud collar. It proved next to useless in stopping my other dog from getting to her leg when she had cruciate surgery.

Omg bloody dog has now chewed her plaster and pulled out a couple of stitches, on a public holiday. I can't drive and my husband isn't home.

Took the head collar off for her to have breakfast, baby woke up and I got sidetracked.

Off to the emergency vet as soon as OH gets home, now I'm worried this will change the outcome of her surgery.

When my Toller had to be crated for a tendon injury, he ate all of his meals out of stuffed kongs and I also supplemented with chewy type foods, venison ears, carrots, apples etc.

I crated him for periods outside under our pergola so he could be outside and watch stuff.

Whilst day boarding might be out of your reach financially and logistically...your dog can swim after suture removal so Aquapaws or Woofpurnay might be able to offer a day boarding service for you 2-3 times a week with a staff member doing controlled swimming during the day.

I know that Woofpurnay do/did swim their boarding dogs.

You can ask for the bandaging to be removed if it's too difficult. As long as they stay very quiet it's more of an insurance policy.

I wouldn't swim this dog post operatively. Swimming is contraindicated early on after many orthopaedic surgeries and is not a benign activity.

Best of luck Rascalmyshadow getting everything put back to right.

Glad she has the plaster off. I have never heard of a Patella surgery requiring plaster?

Could you post some details after you see him tomorrow of his 'special' technique? Maybe her post op X-rays?

Glad she has the plaster off. I have never heard of a Patella surgery requiring plaster?

Could you post some details after you see him tomorrow of his 'special' technique? Maybe her post op X-rays?

I know- i haven't heard of one needing a plaster either. Very different!

A soft plastic basket muzzle will stop the chewing ;) I hope she doesn't get re-plastered - that really sounds like over kill .

My boy had LOTS of bandaging ..I watched his op being done .... the surgeon made the groove deeper, re-located tendons .... gave me grey hairs ;)

Anyhow - he had a knee which withstood all types of hunting /sheep working /racing around for the rest of his life :)

Amazingly enough she doesn't seem stressed at all more peeved off she can't do what she wants, typical terrier behaviour.

I'm not sure what to post about the way the surgery has been done, I don't have copies of her X-rays or anything.

I didn't realise you were talking about a terrier. That sounds about right! I dread lengthy resting for the youngsters, they get the wiggles and squiggles soooo badly.

Complex I.Q. puzzles are good for tiring brains. The ones they can paw at and use their nose to spin dials etc. Nothing too easy.

A big raw meaty bone (like a lamb shank) can be exhausting but watch they don't stand up and use hind legs as chomping leverage.

Plaster... never seen that before. Only bandages. But surgeons are always looking at improving techniques and outcomes so it'll be interesting to hear about it.

You're doing amazingly well considering you've got a new baby too! Hang in there.

The saga goes on we went back to her surgeon today, she has been re-plastered as he wants absolutely no movent in the leg for another two weeks.

She has worked out how to scoop up toys with the buster collar on so she's quite proud of herself, I tried a nice meaty bone it lasted an hour before she got bored.

I'm not keen to put a muzzle on I think she would get more frustrated.

At the moment she's quite happy she's allowed with the other dogs as long as the head collar stays on and we keep the lounge suite blocked off.

Oh and she is an Aussie terrier x Pom but is just like a tiny Aussie in looks and personality.

Amazingly enough she doesn't seem stressed at all more peeved off she can't do what she wants, typical terrier behaviour.

I'm not sure what to post about the way the surgery has been done, I don't have copies of her X-rays or anything.

I didn't realise you were talking about a terrier. That sounds about right! I dread lengthy resting for the youngsters, they get the wiggles and squiggles soooo badly.

Complex I.Q. puzzles are good for tiring brains. The ones they can paw at and use their nose to spin dials etc. Nothing too easy.

A big raw meaty bone (like a lamb shank) can be exhausting but watch they don't stand up and use hind legs as chomping leverage.

Plaster... never seen that before. Only bandages. But surgeons are always looking at improving techniques and outcomes so it'll be interesting to hear about it.

You're doing amazingly well considering you've got a new baby too! Hang in there.

Thank you it's not been easy, especially with our chihuahua having palate surgery the day before I had my daughter then little Chloe's knee got so bad while I was in the hospital.