Calling Breeders

juice

After sending a few emails and getting no response , i thought i might try ringing breeders, but should i limit it to office hours? Or do they prefer weekends?

I remember last time i was lookig i hit a brick wall trying to get replies, but with emails you can explain stuff that they can read at their leisure, i always worry when ringing they maybe too busy to talk.

I now i was peed off a client texted me at 8.30am today asking if i could do their hair on Australia day, so i dont want to get offside by calling when its not deemed appropriate.

I normally call anywhere during business hours. I hardly even call my mum on a weekend in case she's busy hahaha. (I'm a tad phone-phobic). laugh.gif

Maybe you could send another short email just asking if they would prefer a call to go through the email (or something like that) and when would be a good time to call for them :)

Personally I am fine with phone calls but prefer they are about 7-8pm. By the time I get home from work and organised any earlier is generally in the middle of something. Just start the phone call with is this time convenient for you or can I ring at a better time and it should be fine.

If I was trying to make contact with breeders (that I didn't know personally) I would email only as first contact. If I didn't get a response within a week, I would blow them off.

Phone calls catch people on the hop. There is nothing wrong with trying a call, but I find it is rarely a good time to chat when I get calls. How can inquirers possibly know when is the best time to call right? :D

If you really prefer to call, then I think between 7.30 - 8.30pm is best. The breeder can always offer to take your number and call you back at a mutually convenient day/time.

I am a very busy person and yet I manage to respond to emails often within the hour, the same day or over night at worst. If a breeder is not keen to respond, even just to acknowledge your email and say they will get back more comprehensively soon, then they are not going to be a breeder I want to buy a puppy from... but that's just me.

All the very best with your search juice and so sorry to hear about your beautiful girl passing :cry:

Edited by Starkehre

I always think after 7pm in the evenings, and not sunday at all is off limits, but my clients text me regularly at all hours because i work from home they assume they can. :laugh:

I don't get home from work until 7pm some days and can't take calls when I'm there so it's definitely different for everyone! You've reminded me that I need to call someone back who left a message as I was getting on a plane last week!

Yes its frustrating as i much prefer to email and if they have an email address in their listing i assume they use it.

I did approach via email my girls breeder, and they responded that the dog i was looking at on their page needing a home had been rehomed 2 years ago! and they have nothing available till later in the year.

So i am wondering if the mature dogs i am asking about have gone ,and thats why i am getting no replies.

I'm in no rush, but i would just prefer a "no we have nothing, or that dogs gone," that being blanked :laugh:

Just consider from the breeders point of view : When I have a litter advertised then I get emails, a lot of emails... sometimes 2 to 4 PER DAY.... usually try to send a response within a week and now have a standard initial enquiry email set to send.

I actually hate getting emails that are one liners that people dash out on their phones or emails that ask how much are your puppies? ... I always feel like they are not really interested if they don't send me some details about themselves. I know other breeders have often mentioned that as well.

I also hate it when I do send my initial enquiry email and then I get bombarded with email questions which in truth had already been answered in my initial response - hence they haven't bothered to properly read the email. Recently had one woman who sent 4 very short emails AFTER my initial response of which I answered each but reminding her that I had already sent the info... hence she cracked the shits with me and said she wouldn't buy a box of tissues from me..... ?????? (so if the person is reading this you know who you are).

Personally I loathe text messages.... It seems so impersonal and if I am going to home a dog or puppy I want someone who is making an effort.

My advice is send an email with information, wait about 3 days and send another asking if she would prefer email or phone contact. Don't bombard with emails or texts.

If no reply after a couple more days then I would ring the mobile..... most people are probably more receptive in the morning or early evening

Goodluck.

Pretty obviously, it's all over the place. Breeders are people, and vary immensely in their habits. Two thoughts

1. If they publish their phone number, they have invited legitimate calls

2. Always begin a phone call with something like: "I'm calling about puppies. Is this a good time to talk?" I find phones intrusive, in general. Being asked if it's a good time to talk quickly disarms my resentment of the phone . . . and allows me to say please call back later if it isn't a good time.

If I didn't get a response to the email within 4-5 days I wouldn't bother personally. If you aren't going to reply don't put the address there as an option.

Re phoning, I'd call during business hours to start with and ask if it's a suitable time, and if not when would be.

I got a lovely reply from a breeder this morning, explaining that the mature dogs they have atm need to go to only dog homes, but they would let me know if anything came up as i sounded like a lovely home!

I just really need advice on which breeders to try and which ones to avoid, the ones i like the type of are not in my state either. So i am just going to have to wait and see if anything comes up .

Just call.

As a breeder being sent a SMS message is a big no go for us .

No time will ever be right but that can be sorted very easily from a phone call.

We prefer phone calls than emails,emails are so back & forth ,on the phone the answer can be very easy if there set on something we don't/won't have.

During that phone call we then ask for them to send an email with all there details .

Headings & peoples email addresses can be an issue,we get so much in our junk mail & we don't open all our junk mail so be very specific about the title if you want to email .also keep in mind for the last 8 weeks we like many have had big email issues so reliant on the providers to sort things out

I answer emails promptly and within a day unless I have a technical issue. That's simply being polite. Lets face it, if you are putting yourself out there as a breeder, then do your job!

I prefer phone calls between 6-9pm as that's generally when I'm around to take them and concentrate of the conversation. I carry my mobile at work but I will not answer calls as it's not permitted. Send me a text and I"m happy to ring YOU back at a time that works for your schedule as well.

I sent a breeder an email over a week ago, since then Ive been in contact with another breeder via facebook who has been wonderful. I still havent heard from the original breeder (in my state) so figure they arent interested.

I have "initial enquiries via email are welcome" on my DOL listing yet the amount of phone calls and texts I receive is amazing.

I had one rude woman call the other day (and by chance I answered; I don't often answered numbers not familiar to me) and she said "I've b een trying to get hold of you, did you receive my messages?". I responded that I don't have voice mail so no I had not received her messages. "They were text messages, you must have". Oh yes I did! I don't respond to puppy enquiries via text, please email me as requested in my listing! "Well it would have been polite to know"...bye bye lady!

I prefer emails and I will always respond within a day or so.

I got one reply immediately from a lovely breeder,but nothing available, second one i eventually sent a text to ask if they would prefer a phone call to discuss said dog advertised as i hadn't heard back from the email, and got an instant reply that he didn't read his emails and the dog had gone.

I don't want a pup, that seems to be the problem, i prefer something out of the destructo stage after having years of fosters trash my place

And the rescue ones all seem to have dodgy temps and cant live with other dogs. :(