Looking For A Particular Japanese Spitz Breeder

jamesm

I put some similar information in the Introductions forum - wasn't sure where to put this.

Mods feel free to move/delete to wherever is appropriate.

I'm looking to find a particular Japanese Spitz breeder.

Story is that I adopted a 5 month old puppy in June from a couple in Sydney who were splitting up and moving to different states.

He is absolutely perfect, and I would love to know who the breeder is because I might want another in the future - but the previous owners never mentioned who the breeder was, just that they were in Victoria. I can't seem to get in contact with them.

Details:

Breed: Japanese Spitz

Name when I adopted: Sparky (I renamed him Aki)

DOB: 18 January 2015

Date of microchipping: 18 April 2015 (I think this was done by the previous owner, not the breeder?)

I have the names of the previous owners - available on request.

edit: Here's Aki's instagram instagram.com/akithespitz

Edited by jamesm

I had seen that page.

Before emailing and bothering a dozen breeders, I thought a better first step would be to see if anyone here knew of a breeder with a litter around 18 Jan 2015 to narrow my search.

If he is registered (ANKC) he would have to be microchipped by the breeder before he was sold/registered. This would mean that he was at least 4 months old when the previous owners got him and also that they only had him a couple of months before the breakup. Would that right?

The documents I have are:

University of Sydney Vaccination certificate and discharge statement from 19 April 15 stating that the DOB is 18 January, and the owner's name as the one of the couple (the girlfriend who I did not meet).

NSW Companion Animals Register Permanent identification form dated 19 April 15. It includes the microchip number as a sticker with a barcode that has been stuck on. Includes 'authorised identifier' name and number, and date of implantation as 19 April 15

Owners name listed as the boyfriend (who I did meet).

AAR Registration Certificate with microchip number dated 8 May 15.

An email saying "Also I haven't got the first vaccination papers from the breeder, he said he sent them but I never received them. He didn't have him microchipped either, so I got that done as well".

I found the dog on gumtree. The previous owner said that him and his girlfriend bought him from a breeder in Victoria, but their relationship had fallen apart since and neither could keep the dog alone. I didn't think to ask for the breeder's details, and when I did a few months later I didn't get any reply.

I subsequently had everything changed over to my name (microchip, registration).

Edit: so it looks like they purchased at 3 months old (April), then broke up 2 months later in June.

Edited by jamesm

It can't hurt to email as many registered breeders in Vic as you can find, just a few lines stating how you acquired the dog and the date of birth. Any registered breeder worth anything will remember the dates of their litters. And should be interested if they think they might have bred the dog.

Of course if the dog is from an unregistered byb it is unlikely you'll ever find out. They are a breed going through an upswing in popularity and a lot of byb are on the money making bandwagon.

If you can't find them I'd suggest going along to a dog show and meeting some JS breeders and their dogs. See if any have similar traits and temperaments that you like.

Thanks for the advice. I will try that.

It doesn't look likely that I will ever find the breeder. When I want a second dog, dog shows are probably the way I'll go to find the right breeder.

Aki is my first dog and has been absolutely perfect for me (very friendly and easy to train) - so I can definitely see myself getting a second JS.

Edited by jamesm

Thanks for the advice. I will try that.

It doesn't look likely that I will ever find the breeder. When I want a second dog, dog shows are probably the way I'll go to find the right breeder.

Aki is my first dog and has been absolutely perfect for me (very friendly and easy to train) - so I can definitely see myself getting a second JS.

BlinkBlink has given some great advice :) Her idea of emailing is worth a shot - it it comes back with no info at least you know you tried that path.

there are a few signs pointing to your dogs breeder being a backyard breeder or from a puppy farm in this instance, mainly the lack of chipping from the breeder, likelihood he didn't receive his puppy vaccinations and being advertised on gumtree. The puppy, if from an ANKC breeder should have also come with pedigree papers.

Personally I don't think this hunt for your dog's breeder is going to turn anything up, most likely the traits that you love in Aki are typical of the breed so you are probably better off talking to registered breeders when you're in the position to add another dog to your family.

On a side note what do the vaccination papers he was vaccinated for? Without any earlier records I'd be concerned he's under vaccinated

I think the traits I like in him are typical of the breed.

I decided on a JS because I've known a couple and they were both delightful.

The Vaccination papers say C5 and that a booster is due in 4 weeks (May). I'm not sure if that was done.

Maybe I should go to the vet and speak with them.

I desexed him at 6 months and have been giving him flea and heartwork tablets as recommended by the box.

If he wasn't microchipped by the breeder then I'd say he's not from a registered breeder as puppies need to be microchipped before they can be registered so its pointing towards backyard breeder. I would send a friendly email to all those listed on the link provided just in case.

Sounds like he's ended up in a great home

I think the traits I like in him are typical of the breed.

I decided on a JS because I've known a couple and they were both delightful.

The Vaccination papers say C5 and that a booster is due in 4 weeks (May). I'm not sure if that was done.

Maybe I should go to the vet and speak with them.

I desexed him at 6 months and have been giving him flea and heartwork tablets as recommended by the box.

A vet check sounds like a good idea, some vets do what's called Titre testing which checks the dog's current immunisation levels with a blood test so you don't over vaccinate unnecessarily although unfortunately this can sometimes be more expensive that just giving them a booster.

Just a thought - I was thinking about Leah's comments while I was walking my dog tonight. This isn't a nice thought - but I suppose the whole "me and the girlfriend split up" could be a good ruse for a backyard breeder to sell a slightly older puppy on.

Anyhow - good luck - I genuinely hope you find the answers you're looking for.

I looked through "Litters registered" in the DogsVic magazines (2015) for you, and did not see any litters registered as born in January.

In fact, not many Janpanese Spitz litters registered at all

Edited by JRG

Just a thought - I was thinking about Leah's comments while I was walking my dog tonight. This isn't a nice thought - but I suppose the whole "me and the girlfriend split up" could be a good ruse for a backyard breeder to sell a slightly older puppy on.

Fortunately, this is unlikely.

The former owner was literally packing boxes in his smallish apartment when I came to see and later to pick up Aki. He also gave me his bed, flea and work tablets, shampoo, treats, bowl etc. He was very sad to see Aki go.

If it was a ruse, it was a needlessly elaborate one.

Fortunately, this is unlikely.

The former owner was literally packing boxes in his smallish apartment when I came to see and later to pick up Aki. He also gave me his bed, flea and work tablets, shampoo, treats, bowl etc. He was very sad to see Aki go.

If it was a ruse, it was a needlessly elaborate one.

Cool :D

Hi jamesm,

as with others suggested...Aki most likely came from BYB or pet shop. I own Js as well myself and knew few Victorian breeders. And they microchipped their puppies before leaving their homes.

however, if you haven't joined the Japanese Spitz in Australia facebook group, you can join and share the dates, who knows others have puppies from this litter born January last year.

and most of the Js breeders are on the group too, so they can check for you. :)