My Darling Girl Has Congenital Heart Failure

Pollywaffle

Hello...I haven't been on here for ages..change of circumstances...but my girl, Polly (8 years) has been diagnosed with congenital heart failure - about 10 months ago now - been given a max of 2 years. The vet at the time prescribed Vetmedin - which Polly has been taking morning and evening. I went to make my usual phone call to the vet at lunchtime to order another bottle and the vet nurse tells me that it is legislation that I bring Polly in ever six months when she is being treated for a chronic illness. Now, Polly literally cries when she goes to the vets so I said I didn't want to put her through that and the vet nurse told me that they would withhold her medication if we don't bring her in.

I am besides myself...it's bad enough having to look at that gorgeous girl every day and know that she is dying...but now I have to subject her to six monthly vet visits if I want the medication. I am sitting here at work..I should be working but I am bereft inside...I love her so much I guess I shall have to subject her to routine vet visits.

What do you wise people think - a about her prognosis and b about the vet threatening to withhold the medication?

it is true, vets are not allowed to prescribe medications without physically examining an animal regularly. It would also be irresponsible of them to go on prescribing it without looking and listening to the pet. They may need to repeat her echocardiogram to assess if she needs additional medications if things are deteriorating. Heart medications can certainly prolong the life of cardiac cases, but they need to be carefully monitored and adjusted as required.

I don't think it would be legislative, just the practice's policy and it's a good one too in order check on her condition.

Is it just that vet she doesn't like going to? You could try another..

Unfortunately that probably is a realistic prognosis and it would be good to continue to treat her and get her checked out to help her along. :(

Yes I have to take my dog i for 6 monthly checkups. Yes it is a bit annoying when you are doing palliative care and especially if you are paying a bit for medicines etc. Neither the dog or I get any value out of it but the vets seem to think it is interesting due to her condition not being very common. They talked me into bloods once which was also annoying when I found out how much it cost. it isn't like they can do anything else for her if she got xxx result in her bloods.

And yes I understand that things like this can upset you when you are dealing with a palliative care dog.

Hugs to you and Polly.

Yes I have to take my dog i for 6 monthly checkups. Yes it is a bit annoying when you are doing palliative care and especially if you are paying a bit for medicines etc. Neither the dog or I get any value out of it but the vets seem to think it is interesting due to her condition not being very common. They talked me into bloods once which was also annoying when I found out how much it cost. it isn't like they can do anything else for her if she got xxx result in her bloods.

And yes I understand that things like this can upset you when you are dealing with a palliative care dog.

Hugs to you and Polly.

I think at the heart of this is my own anxiety/sadness..I just don't want Polly to die...unrealistic, but when emotions are involved....

it is true, vets are not allowed to prescribe medications without physically examining an animal regularly. It would also be irresponsible of them to go on prescribing it without looking and listening to the pet. They may need to repeat her echocardiogram to assess if she needs additional medications if things are deteriorating. Heart medications can certainly prolong the life of cardiac cases, but they need to be carefully monitored and adjusted as required.

Thank you for saying it how it is....