Which Is The Best Quality Dog Food?

loveyrdog

And nothing wrong with Maccas ...from a nutrient point of view it is actually pretty good - it is the 'dosage' that makes it 'toxic', but that's the case with every food!

Ah - come on. Discount the salads, now tell me you'd happily let your kids eat from the standard maccas menu 3 times a day, 7 days a week for a full year.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And nothing wrong with Maccas ...from a nutrient point of view it is actually pretty good - it is the 'dosage' that makes it 'toxic', but that's the case with every food!

Ah - come on. Discount the salads, now tell me you'd happily let your kids eat from the standard maccas menu 3 times a day, 7 days a week for a full year.

...I wouldn't be able to afford it :) !...and it is the dosage (as said before) that makes maccas a good food source or evil ...you can even kill yourself with pure healthy water if you drink too much.

ETA:...a little bit off topic - sorry...

Edited by Willem

My dogs do just as well on Supercoat or Bonnie as they do on Nutro or Royal Canin... only their poos are larger when they get the cheaper kibble.

I'm lucky that none of mine have any allergies, and that they will eat anything put in front of them. My old girl was nearly 16 when she passed in July last year, rarely saw a vet for anything right up until her last day... not a bad innings for a large breed dog IMHO.

I'm a firm believer in feeding whatever your dog does well on... and not buying into the hype regarding what is "best". Truth is that what may be amazing for one dog might not be as great for the next...

T.

It's an interesting post!

You know that eating Maccas or 2 minute noodles everyday is not healthy and certainly not appropriate for long term health 5-10 years down the track so you'd also concur that this is true for dogs?

Low quality foods do impact long term health. Although I appreciate your dog was 16 which is a fab innings it's unlikley your dog was on either Supecoat or Bonnie for that entire 16 years. I can also argue there are exceptions similar to how some smokers live long lives.

I think it can be quite damaging to novice dog owners to have them believe 2 minute noodles or maccas is a suitable long term diet for their dog that will create great long term health.

Ummm... I'll also confess to feeding Pedigree at times. I would say the majority of her life though, she was fed the lower priced kibble as the main diet... I believe that there are more likely to be many other factors contributing to health and longevity than just what food we give them, yes? Things like being a full family member with full inclusion in daily life, a nice safe warm bed to sleep on every night (and day as the case generally is with dogs), vet attention and parasite prevention as necessary, etc, etc...

T.

Hi just wanted to say thanks to everyone

for there tips and suggestions

It is interesting to that raw dry fresh

We just Love our pets and want the best for them

Also the above comments about providing our best friends

with love and care on top of good nutrition is just as important

Thanks dog lovers :)

Coastal Catch is the other one - its grain-free - and is the one my westies only eat under sufferance.

Yeah that's it.

Zig loves anything fishy - I sometimes buy him salmon heads from the fish shop at the markets and he gets so excited when he gets them.

I'd be interested to hear opinions about Meals for Mutts MfM. We've been using sample bags from the dog lover show as treats, but sticking with the canidae grain-free as morning meal. Big Dog BARF and RMB/tinned fish/eggs etc for evening meals. However last time OH went to the shop for the canidae they'd run out, and MfM was recommended as a substitute so we're almost through a bag now. Should we go back to canidae, or stick with MfM? The dogs don't care and I haven't seen any change in them, but how do they compare nutritionally?

I'd be interested to hear opinions about Meals for Mutts MfM. We've been using sample bags from the dog lover show as treats, but sticking with the canidae grain-free as morning meal. Big Dog BARF and RMB/tinned fish/eggs etc for evening meals. However last time OH went to the shop for the canidae they'd run out, and MfM was recommended as a substitute so we're almost through a bag now. Should we go back to canidae, or stick with MfM? The dogs don't care and I haven't seen any change in them, but how do they compare nutritionally?

I'm really happy with MfM dry food. I have four dogs on it. Excellent price for the quality.

Protein isn't as high as Canidae. Not as rich either.

My pack range from six to 15 years of age. Always easy to find fresh bags in stock too.

Eta .. I feed a ton of raw, vege, egg etc also but they get MfM twice a day.

Edited by Ivy~Badger

Katdogs: I've been feeding the High Performance Meals for Mutts for about 5 months now. Nova is going fantastically on it.

He was on Canidae before that and Earthborn before then.

My only gripe is that I can only buy it online so need to think ahead and make sure I don't run out.

He's always been hard to keep weight on he's finally keeping it on on this and with LESS food!

The last two weeks Nova has had the itchies, I don't think it has to do with his food as again he's been on it for 5 months now and it's only just came up, but I'm moving house in a week, so if it continues up there, I might move him onto the fish one and see if that helps, he's always done well on fish based food and unfortunately the HP formula is turkey based.

The High Performance formula is a high protein formula + other goodies, so doesn't count to what Ivy Badger says. It's probably about the same richness as the others.

Edited by LisaCC

Coastal Catch is the other one - its grain-free - and is the one my westies only eat under sufferance.

Yeah that's it.

Zig loves anything fishy - I sometimes buy him salmon heads from the fish shop at the markets and he gets so excited when he gets them.

Same here staffyluv - my guys literally dance around the laundry for raw meals and get terribly excited. And they are really down in the dumps if the dry stuff comes out because I've forgotten to defrost or go shopping. The heads go down and they mope to their bowls - like a pair of sulky kids! The difference is amazing. They adore their bones, chicken necks and frames, fish etc etc and its so nice to see them ripping into bones on the back lawn and chewing and gnawing as they should.

And yes I confess - I'm no fan of dry food - and yes I do think its junk food for dogs, made only to line pet food manufacturers pockets and for our convenience. I'll always feed high quality raw and haven't seen anything to convince me to change my mind. And no I'm not trying to offend anyone who feeds dry - I just prefer not to if I can help it.

Edited by westiemum

I personally feed Vets All Natural (VAN) - I either make it up myself or I do buy the premade stuff (because it is easy when I'm busy)..

I also feed: Turkey necks, chicken frames, yoghurt, eggs, sardines, other bones as well. I also use kibble when I have foster dogs here (but Zig rarely eats it when he is on his own). My kibble of choice and the one they seem to do well on is Earthborn Holistic - I three of the range: Primitive, Ocean Catch and the other fish one (can't recall the name).

I am another that believes the best food for your dog, is the food they do best on - we don't really change anything here, other than the flavour of the kibble.

Thanks I had a look at vans website I hadnt heard of it before

so you can just add kangaroo or the above etc

So it has grains

which is another topic

grains or grain free

There are so many for and against

with all the information out there

it can be confusing for dog owners like me

that are just looking for the best for there loved dog

Not all grains are evil, there are good grains.

Here's some good grains:

• Oats (Gluten free)
  • Brown Rice
  • Millet (Gluten free)
  • Quinoa (Gluten free)
  • Sorghum (Gluten free)

Although listening to others is how we learn more, I think it's also important to take that information and research it further as well meaning people often are recycling info they have heard and some of it gets lost along the way.

Thanks for answering sas, I completely missed that post.

Yes some grains are definitely better than others. I mix VAN with roo or I mix other minces together (just to shake it up from time to time). I prefer to use human grade, premium mince meats - turkey, beef, lamb and pork mostly. I don't use chicken mince much - not sure why, I just don't.

Like I said before - I really think that the food that your dog does best on, is the best for your dog. Although I do prefer a predominantly raw diet.

I've used both canidae and mfm and I actually prefer MFM as Dozer was rotten on canidae. As in clear a room for 10 minutes with a single fart!

They're both really highly rated foods on petfood advisor which has always played a part in my considerations for food.

Dozer has been on MFM for over a week now which is more than enough time for him to react badly and his coat and ears are getting better every day.

As we're only getting the smaller bags at the moment the larger kibble size isn't an option (only 20kg bags have the option of larger kibble) but he gets other safe chews to help clean his teeth.

My dogs do just as well on Supercoat or Bonnie as they do on Nutro or Royal Canin... only their poos are larger when they get the cheaper kibble.

I'm lucky that none of mine have any allergies, and that they will eat anything put in front of them. My old girl was nearly 16 when she passed in July last year, rarely saw a vet for anything right up until her last day... not a bad innings for a large breed dog IMHO.

I'm a firm believer in feeding whatever your dog does well on... and not buying into the hype regarding what is "best". Truth is that what may be amazing for one dog might not be as great for the next...

T.

It's an interesting post!

You know that eating Maccas or 2 minute noodles everyday is not healthy and certainly not appropriate for long term health 5-10 years down the track so you'd also concur that this is true for dogs?

Low quality foods do impact long term health. Although I appreciate your dog was 16 which is a fab innings it's unlikley your dog was on either Supecoat or Bonnie for that entire 16 years. I can also argue there are exceptions similar to how some smokers live long lives.

I think it can be quite damaging to novice dog owners to have them believe 2 minute noodles or maccas is a suitable long term diet for their dog that will create great long term health.

it is a little bit tricky comparing healthy diets for real omnivores (humans) with healthy diets for 'omnivores' like dogs. While they are indeed capable of digesting starch / grains etc. which classifies them as omnivores (plus the fact that they can digest fruits etc.), their metabolism / digesting system is clearly more designed for meat hence they are more carnivores than omnivores.

Most dog owners also overlook the correlation between exercise / work and food needs....e.g. not much merit in feeding a 'couch potato' with 'energy boosters'. IMO it is not a good idea to get a dog to depend on just one food source / kibble, also it might be the 'best kibble ever', because I can't see that this food would be the right one for every scenario. That's why I feed a variety of kibble - also cheaper kibble - and 'balance' it with turkey necks, briskets etc.

I'm never lost for words, serious never...but I am now lol....but just for a quick moment. I almost feel like I'm listening to that rapper tell everyone the world is actually flat.

Just because dogs have now evolved to process starch doesn't mean it's good for them, perhaps look up the writings of Jean Dodds on this one. You can't balance your cheap processed kibble with extras, that's like me smoking a cigarette and following it up with a wheat grass shot. Cheap processed foods are just that, doesn't matter how you dress them up.

I did not make any statement about couch potatoes vs active dogs.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't feed your children 2 minute noodles and maccas everyday, so why would you feed your dog something that is so low quality and expect good health in the future?

Perhaps you would be interested in learning the science of Nutrigenomics? I think you'd get a alot out of it - look up Canine Nutrigenomics.

Yes, Maccas every day wouldn't be ideal, and that was my exact point - the 'dosage' as you call it of low quality filler kibbles every day is not health inducing.

Edited by sas

McDonalds KFC etc... love to display their nutrient values of their products... however remember that these are calculated PRIOR to cooking... anyone with any basic understanding of chemistry will accept that the minute we cook the foods we change the food. Hence the idea of a raw diet is that the nutrients DONT change.

The same applies to EVERY dry dog kibble... what is written on the packaging... is PRIOR TO cooking..... hence these nutrients are changed and in some cases even cooked out... and even if the packaging says "no artificial colours or preservatives" that doesn't mean they haven't added so called natural colours or preservatives.... sugar and its many forms along with salt are forms of preservative.

The biggest advantage about using a raw diet... (such as Vets All Natural) ... is there is NO cooking, hence what it says is in the food is what is in the food.

Consider also that dogs who have a natural diet with raw meats etc...(even without bones) are building healthy saliva and this aids to keep the teeth clean... whereas the salts and sugars etc from the dry foods do not help with the saliva. I have seen MANY dogs who are on dry kibble with shocking teeth, but generally when a raw diet is used the dogs display clean teeth and healthy gums.

40 years of having a dog and i have NEVER had to clean any of my dogs teeth.... nor have I have I had any gum or teeth issues....

Thanks for the feedback on MfM everyone.

I think we might get another bag. I like the idea of it being made in Aus (we were unlucky enough to have an Orijen cat).

If I'm ever not working (or have an only dog, or small ones), I would do totally raw. The BARF patties and dry food provide the balance of convenience and nutrition that we need at the moment.

McDonalds KFC etc... love to display their nutrient values of their products... however remember that these are calculated PRIOR to cooking... anyone with any basic understanding of chemistry will accept that the minute we cook the foods we change the food. Hence the idea of a raw diet is that the nutrients DONT change.

The same applies to EVERY dry dog kibble... what is written on the packaging... is PRIOR TO cooking..... hence these nutrients are changed and in some cases even cooked out... and even if the packaging says "no artificial colours or preservatives" that doesn't mean they haven't added so called natural colours or preservatives.... sugar and its many forms along with salt are forms of preservative.

You are somewhat off base with these 2 comments as that is not how it rolls under legislation in this country.

Firstly - on the Maccas example, under Food Standards the nutritional composition including kJ count is based on the as consumed product ie what you get in the box. It is not based on the input values.

Similarly, nutritional composition for pet foods is based on the values of the output not the input ie raw ingredients.

Finally - it is pretty well known that no artificial colours/ flavours/ preservatives does not stop a product including actual (not so called) colours and flavours - meaning things taken from nature and not created in a lab.

McDonalds KFC etc... love to display their nutrient values of their products... however remember that these are calculated PRIOR to cooking... anyone with any basic understanding of chemistry will accept that the minute we cook the foods we change the food. Hence the idea of a raw diet is that the nutrients DONT change.The same applies to EVERY dry dog kibble... what is written on the packaging... is PRIOR TO cooking..... hence these nutrients are changed and in some cases even cooked out... and even if the packaging says "no artificial colours or preservatives" that doesn't mean they haven't added so called natural colours or preservatives.... sugar and its many forms along with salt are forms of preservative.The biggest advantage about using a raw diet... (such as Vets All Natural) ... is there is NO cooking, hence what it says is in the food is what is in the food.Consider also that dogs who have a natural diet with raw meats etc...(even without bones) are building healthy saliva and this aids to keep the teeth clean... whereas the salts and sugars etc from the dry foods do not help with the saliva. I have seen MANY dogs who are on dry kibble with shocking teeth, but generally when a raw diet is used the dogs display clean teeth and healthy gums.40 years of having a dog and i have NEVER had to clean any of my dogs teeth.... nor have I have I had any gum or teeth issues....

Is this a brand of raw you recommend? I'm considering raw for my dogs but I honestly can't find enough hours in the day to make my own 'formula'.

McDonalds KFC etc... love to display their nutrient values of their products... however remember that these are calculated PRIOR to cooking... anyone with any basic understanding of chemistry will accept that the minute we cook the foods we change the food. Hence the idea of a raw diet is that the nutrients DONT change.The same applies to EVERY dry dog kibble... what is written on the packaging... is PRIOR TO cooking..... hence these nutrients are changed and in some cases even cooked out... and even if the packaging says "no artificial colours or preservatives" that doesn't mean they haven't added so called natural colours or preservatives.... sugar and its many forms along with salt are forms of preservative.The biggest advantage about using a raw diet... (such as Vets All Natural) ... is there is NO cooking, hence what it says is in the food is what is in the food.Consider also that dogs who have a natural diet with raw meats etc...(even without bones) are building healthy saliva and this aids to keep the teeth clean... whereas the salts and sugars etc from the dry foods do not help with the saliva. I have seen MANY dogs who are on dry kibble with shocking teeth, but generally when a raw diet is used the dogs display clean teeth and healthy gums.40 years of having a dog and i have NEVER had to clean any of my dogs teeth.... nor have I have I had any gum or teeth issues....

Is this a brand of raw you recommend? I'm considering raw for my dogs but I honestly can't find enough hours in the day to make my own 'formula'.

Vets all natural is a mix of dry things that you add a mince to, there is a grain free and regular version, other brands are fully premade and fresh (so come frozen) like DR B's, Big Dog BARF, canine country, raw 4 paws etc.

I've never used VAN, but some swear by it :)

There are many premade raws around nowadays :)

Edited by denali