Appreciate Your Reviews On Pet Insurance

loveyrdog

Hi I have never had pet insurance so would love your experiences in using them and your recommendations please

I currently own 4 yrold female GR and am also getting a GR puppy soon

So I am thinking it is time to get pet insurance for the ''just in case'' as I do not have big amounts of money at the ready for vet emergencies

and I have narrowed it down to Petplan or PIA

Are there any doglovers out there

that currently use any of these or other pet insurances?

I know another option is to have a credit card for emergencies

and obviously save save save

Thanks for your advise

Edited by loveyrdog

We use Medibank and they have been amazing. We've claimed ten's of thousands of dollars and they have always been brilliant. Generous coverage and quick to pay up. Never had anything questioned or had to chase anything up.

Medibank have just started limiting claims and tightening restrictions. For example, you can only claim $300 in consultation fees in a policy year. When we started with them, 5 years ago, it was 100% reimbursement after whatever excess you had specified. It changed to 80% and then the excess is deducted. Now, it is more and more restrictions.We have has 1 claim rejected because it 'might' have been kennel cough and another pro-rated because Max 'might' have had kennel cough at the same time as an infection on his toe. The result was both claims were not paid. The vet notes did not state kennel cough, but rather bacterial infection but Medibank chose to hide behind the clause that says they don't pay for illnesses that can be vaccinated for.We are seriously tossing up whether to continue. Also, the excess is taken out of every claim / illness. Read the prospectus very carefully.

Thanks everyone

Can I ask

Do you pay monthly or the total in advance?

Did you join online or talk by phone?

RE Medibank; So are your fees for medibank cheaper because you have private health cover with them?

and is that %80 pay back on vet fees?

RE Petplan; Are you covered ''for life policy'' which sounds reassuring as they get older

and do you get %100 back on your vet bills?

As they are a bit more expensive than the others

Sorry there is so much to read & remember arrrr fine print

as I go from one website to another

Thanks again for your help

Petplan here on two yorkies. Youngest boy was still on their free 6 week introduction when he broke his leg requiring 3 pins being inserted. I (obviously) continued into the paid policy and I got the lot back (over $4500) minus two x $150 excess fees. One excess for the 6 week free policy and one for the ongoing paid policy. I have my guys in today getting investigated for liver shunts so will let you know in a week or so how those claims go.

Petplan here on two yorkies. Youngest boy was still on their free 6 week introduction when he broke his leg requiring 3 pins being inserted. I (obviously) continued into the paid policy and I got the lot back (over $4500) minus two x $150 excess fees. One excess for the 6 week free policy and one for the ongoing paid policy. I have my guys in today getting investigated for liver shunts so will let you know in a week or so how those claims go.

Also, if you're getting a pup, ask your breeder to send you home with the 6 weeks free insurance which the breeder needs to set up. My breeder said it was easy. Just set up a log in and list the puppy with dates etc plus my details. Then you upgrade to paid version after the pup is home. Gives you coverage from before you own the pup and there's nothing that might not be covered. Also I remember asking for the breeder to get a short statement from the vet who saw the pups at vaccination before I got them which just stated checked this and that and all clear.

Also, if you're getting a pup, ask your breeder to send you home with the 6 weeks free insurance which the breeder needs to set up. My breeder said it was easy. Just set up a log in and list the puppy with dates etc plus my details. Then you upgrade to paid version after the pup is home. Gives you coverage from before you own the pup and there's nothing that might not be covered. Also I remember asking for the breeder to get a short statement from the vet who saw the pups at vaccination before I got them which just stated checked this and that and all clear.

Hi Thanks for your feedback & advice,

gee you have had rough time

so lucky you had pet insurance

hope all goes well at the vets for your yorkies :)

Can definitely recommend Petplan. Have several ongoing claims with them for elbow dysplasia and EPI and they cover 100%, less the annual excess for each condition.

I pay monthly and annual premium increases have not been excessive.

I initially did everything online and it was fairly straightforward :)