Angry And Helpless

MonElite

Willem: Turning this thread into an argument just for the sake of it is very insensitive and inappropriate. The OP posted because he/she was upset and wanted to know what others thought and wanted some support.

When someone keeps coming back to justify his/her position as you are doing makes me wonder if your dog behaves like the dog in the OP when it sees you and you need to explain its behaviour to expunge your own unease.

...I'm not 'turning this thread into an argument' ...I'm just raising my concerns over comments about a 'perfect dog' and a 'shitty dog owner'...such a combination hardly goes together.... and I agree, everyone is entitled to raise (and should raise) concerns about potential animal cruelty, but calling someone 'human' trash' and accusing him of animal cruelty without evidence seems to be at least unfair.

And no, while I might not be a perfect dog lover, I didn't stuffed up our recall; our dog has a nearly perfect recall and comes happily with the tail wagging as she knows there is always a treat (no ice-cream so) for her. However, during the obedience and agility training sessions I can recognize from the behaviour of a few other dogs that there might be some 'behaviour issues' that could be possibly linked to 'inappropriate' trainings measures employed when not on the trainings ground...but some are also rescue dogs or rehomed dogs and the real cause for their behaviour might not be the fault of the current owner. Nevertheless, in most cases where a dog is treated badly there are signs in the dog's behaviour that don't just disappear when the owner is not around.

I apologize for the second part of my post. I was being mean and your dogs looks gorgeous.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's always one on every forum.

Don't let anyone tell you how to feel about a situation, you were there, you had a lovely time with the dog, you met the owner and your intuition is talking to you and you "feel" what you"feel" and it's ok. It's that inner voice, that says "ooh I am not sure all is right here" it is part of the human make up, it's your "gut feeling" and no one can take that away from you, it is a perfectly normal human response. It's what makes you / us human.

Maybe you will run into your dog friend again, maybe you won't, maybe the dog is mistreated, maybe not, but you couldn't have known how this man would react or what kind of owner would come and pick up the dog.

The fact that you care is a good thing, don't let anyone take that away from you.

You done good. If you "feel" you need to take further action, or can take further action, then that is no ones business but yours. No one has the right to say yes or no, only you know the answer to this question.

I hope the dog sought comfort in your company, whether mistreated or having the happiest of lives, even if just for a couple of hours. You both shared a lovely time. There is nothing wrong with that. All in all I truly hope the dog is not in a awful home too.

Take a look at the horrible things that happen in the world on a daily basis, this is a lovely walk in the park with a friendly creature that took a real liking to you, really not something that anyone should get all bent out of shape about. It only went pear shaped at the end when you couldn't have known the type of person who would come to pick up the dog that left a sour note.

If you are very concerned and you still have the mans number, you could google the phone number to see if it gives any information, google is a wonderful tool at times for that, you could always text him and say that you were very fond of the dog and would love to see him again (hint hint)

Whatever you decide, try not to stress about it too much. You did your best.

Ray

At last, the voice of reason! Thanks for putting so eloquently what I wanted to say, Rayhay????

OH my god really?

Lets talk about the LAW or should we talk about the rights of the ANIMALS

who to many OWNERS lock up keep in a backyard for 10 15 hours a day with NO human contact

with kids that no longer care about the dog and are to busy for it

LOVE YOUR ANIMALS thats all I want

We can have differing opinions thats fine

but I am sick of seeing and hearing about animals suffering

it hurts and makes me frustrated and helpless

thats all

Settle down with the caps.

Yes my god really, I'm talking about the law. It's quite simple. If I didn't follow the law I would no longer be able to rescue and animals would die. Meaning I would be killing them, is that clear?

I'm assuming you've never had to take wrecks of dogs into your own home and love them like one of your own? Been there broken hearted when those too far gone have to be put to sleep? Try it. Or go help them at a shelter.

Honestly, I completely understand you're frustrated. Me too. So do something other than attack the keyboard, because we all want exactly the same thing.

Rayhay - thank you for your kind words.

I was there on holidays so no chance of going back to the beach and looking for the dog again.

I might send an sms to the man and ask if he wants to part with the dog, but he could see I was not impressed with the situation so my chances are very slim in getting anywhere, I feel he is likely to just tell me to piss off.

loveyrdog - despite your well meaning intentions, what you are suggesting as a course of action is illegal. All stray dogs should have an attempt made by those able to do so to be reunited with their owners. As evidenced here, there are many dogs out there who, if found wandering the streets, may display behaviours that might make those less informed believe that the dog had suffered some abuse during its life... I own one such dog - and I know she's never been abused as I've known her since she was still inside her mother (the joys of rescue) - however, in new situations and with people she doesn't know, she's a complete emotional wreck, cowering, backing up, and fear barking. I would hope that if she ever got out of my yard, that some kind soul would do as MonElite did, and make friends with my girl and try to get her safely back to me by whichever means possible - including taking her to the pound... as that is where I'd be calling first to find her myself!

willem - you need to take a few deep breaths and calm the heck down. Maybe read and reread posts before you go off all gung ho with your "advice". If English is a second language, then even moreso... your attitude and bullish language is not endearing you to anyone... and funnily enough, is more likely to make them completely disregard any advice you have to give because you are such an annoying ass while giving it...

T.

Don't let anyone tell you how to feel about a situation, you were there, you had a lovely time with the dog, you met the owner and your intuition is talking to you and you "feel" what you"feel" and it's ok. It's that inner voice, that says "ooh I am not sure all is right here" it is part of the human make up, it's your "gut feeling" and no one can take that away from you, it is a perfectly normal human response. It's what makes you / us human.

Maybe you will run into your dog friend again, maybe you won't, maybe the dog is mistreated, maybe not, but you couldn't have known how this man would react or what kind of owner would come and pick up the dog.

The fact that you care is a good thing, don't let anyone take that away from you.

You done good. If you "feel" you need to take further action, or can take further action, then that is no ones business but yours. No one has the right to say yes or no, only you know the answer to this question.

I hope the dog sought comfort in your company, whether mistreated or having the happiest of lives, even if just for a couple of hours. You both shared a lovely time. There is nothing wrong with that. All in all I truly hope the dog is not in a awful home too.

Take a look at the horrible things that happen in the world on a daily basis, this is a lovely walk in the park with a friendly creature that took a real liking to you, really not something that anyone should get all bent out of shape about. It only went pear shaped at the end when you couldn't have known the type of person who would come to pick up the dog that left a sour note.

If you are very concerned and you still have the mans number, you could google the phone number to see if it gives any information, google is a wonderful tool at times for that, you could always text him and say that you were very fond of the dog and would love to see him again (hint hint)

Ray

well said Ray +1 :clap:

Well said Rayhay +2

And to those who recommend taking a dog or any animal wit out going thru the proper channels. I understand where you r coming from but it possible to do this legally. Even if it means you offer money to buy. Or reclaim from pound.

My brother had Bengal cats which he doted on. He actually had a full page spread in the Sydney Morning Herald because he built a whole wall of cat play equipment. Some article on mad cat lovers. Anyhow one cat when missing and this was for a few weeks. Until the cat was brought into the local vets by someone who had kept the cat because he was thin and had a skin condition. Lucky for my brother the cat had been treated by this vet for his allergies regularly. A quick microchip scan proved the cat was my brothers and the person with the cat gave him up. Although she held firm to her belief that the cat was mistreated so she saved it.

Sometimes your efforts are not appreciated but never change!

Ray

Excellent post.

Personally Mon, I'd be thinking the same as you. I'd give calling the guy about buying the dog off him...who knows, he might think it's a blessing as he might find having a dog a PITA.

What have you got to lose?

I'd also be trusting your instincts and would call the RSPCA/council...again who knows what the response will be? Maybe they've had complaints before or maybe the dog's situation is fine.

Regardless, I'd be interested in knowing any of the above results.

None of us know the full story, so I don't think it's necessarily fair to make a judgement call on the owner. For example, our Bull Arab x is 40-odd kilos of the softest dog you'll ever meet. You can't even raise your voice around him without him freaking out and cowering/shutting down. Prior to him living with us, he was owned by my sister's best friend, and the only time he has ever had a hand laid on him was when he got in a fight (was targeted by this particular nasty bitch) with one of her now ex-partner's malamutes. Even that was not a "punishment", they were just trying to get the dogs apart.

He adores my OH, but often gets freaked out by him, because he has a fairly deep, masculine voice. I can give Tex a command with no issues, but Nathan will say the same thing, and Tex just panics because he feels like he's being yelled at. (Yes, Nathan is working on it!)

He snuck out the front door a while ago and went for one of the goats (no one realised he was inside because he'd snuck in in the first place to have a lie down!). I was up on the decking and I heard this blood-curdling bleat, and saw him dragging the poor girl around by her back leg. I yelled at him while I was still a good 15-20 metres away (and up on the decking, so yelling was the only thing I could do) and he bolted. Luckily enough he ran straight back inside.

He wouldn't come near me for days.

I'm not trying to explain or excuse the behaviour of the owner of the dog, but sometimes it isn't necessarily as black and white as it seems.

All of mine "know when they're in trouble" ie, they read my body language and react to the fact that I am unhappy with something. I have never once taken it out on any of them, but to watch them in that situation, you would think that I beat them to within an inch of their lives everyday.

ETA: No goats were harmed in the making of this example, in fact a couple of weeks later this same goat was happily grazing within 2 metres of Tex (on a lead this time of course!)

Edited by disintegratus