Map Of Dog Friendly Beaches Around Melbourne And Victoria

ChiggenWingz

G'day everyone!

For a few weeks now I've been putting together this map from all the council data, visiting sites to check inconsistencies, and contacting various councils on the phone to get clarification.

CLICK HERE FOR MAP PAGE

I hope this is handy for all the dog owners out there, as I know I've always found it a pain to work out which beaches can and can't be visited with my dogs.

I've also pimped my own little business in there but hopefully its not too distracting :p

The map can be embedded in your own site and shared out pretty easily if you want, you'll see the share feature in the google maps's window.

Let me know what you think :D

I got told off (very nicely) by a ranger today. The beach rules down here at the Mornington Peninsula are very confusing.

Totally agree, theres a heap of different foreshore committees which manage a lot of the coast line. I contacted a few to get details. Geelong had the same sort of setup as well with many different committees regulatings each beach and having that data written elsewhere. I'll be emailing this to all the different councils and committees in the next hour or so to double check the data is right, and hopefully they will all see how its all very confusing for the average person :p

Some councils didn't even have maps for me to copy, just text describing the streets or walkways the dog zones were between

The ranger totally agreed that it was confusing. There also seemed no logical reason for the rule. I am still a bit baffled.

Which beach was it, and what was the particular rule? Like did they have to be on leash, or just no dogs at all during a certain time?

I can sort of see the logic in a way of some of the locations, especially with the popular beaches. Theres a lot of people, and the few bad dog owners who don't control their dog well or don't clean up can spoil it a bit.

The main thing I would like to see is a unification of the summer/winter change over dates, and a consistent time for daily rule changes. Theres also a few beaches where dog off leash zones are close together but are separated by a leashed zone, yet the location it self is not a popular beach. Mainly Williamstown/Altona and Tourque

What I'll do is I'll include the links to this discussion and other social sites I've announced the map on in my emails to the councils, so they can all read the feedback from everyone in regards to the current beach regulations. Dunno if they'll read it, but at least we can have these discussion topics as a point of reference to the current public thought. :)

I'm afraid some of the colours are kind of hard to tell apart, is it possible to maybe put some lines or patterns on some? Primarily the 3 offleash green-blues and orange-limited vs no-dog-ever-red? With some wrangling I see you can click on them, nifty!

Great idea though!

Now if only the info was easier to find and people would obey the signage/rules enforced enough that people do (not on your map but Point Addis is On Leash only, clearly marked...only leashed dog was mine :mad )

Edited by Thistle the dog

Your map is a good idea though provided it's accurate. :thumbsup:

I based my map off all the data thats currently available online and also rang up a few councils to double check some things when the online data didn't look quite right. I also visited a number of spots personally to double check what was there and clear up any grey areas. I'd assume most rangers go off the signs that are posted at actual locations so hopefully there are very few instances where theres a difference between the online data and what is the case.

The map is fairly easy to update now that I have worked out the general use of it. So if/when I get feedback from each council I can change boundaries and details pretty easily :)

The idea is to keep it pretty up to date.