How To Find A Homeless Couple Whos Dog Is In The Pound ?

Some of you may remember that 2 years ago I helped a homeless lady called Tania get her tiny foxi companion dog called Mini desexed, vacc'd, chipped etc. As Tania didn't have an address or a phone we put me as contact on her microchip.

Well Mini is in Sutherland Shire Animal Shelter and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I might be able to find either Tania or her her good friend Pete who also spent alot of time with Mini.

They hang around Central but not in a regular spot and sometimes I don't see them for months. I know they will be beside themselves about Mini. Are there any places I could contact to try to find them?

I am in contact with the shelter so Mini will be fine, Im just stumped for ideas on how to find her mum and dad. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Please no negative comments about homeless people shouldn't have dogs.

Caz

xxx

Edited by Cazstaff

Here's the website of Shire Reach a community group that provides food etc for the homeless (among others) in the Sutherland Shire. Seems well set-up organization with backing of the authorities.

Click on the Contact page & there's a name & phone number to call. Just in case Tania and/or Pete have been moving around the Sutherland Shire catchment area. Also that person might have some info/contacts on similar service feeding/helping the homeless around Central.

http://www.shirereach.org.au/

The young volunteers who run the mobile laundry service for the homeless, have just started their vans in Sydney. They make a point of chatting with their clients... so they might ask around. Email address...& they also have a Facebook page.

http://www.orangeskylaundry.com.au/#!sydney-van/aamxa

BTW They were awarded Young Australians of the Year on Australia Day!

Edited by mita

How is Mini coping in the pound? Do you think she would be better off with a foster, ie me??

She's not coping very well, they said she was very scared Cynthia and I can imagine she would be. She as spent all day, every day of her life in the company of Pete or Tania.

Would you really be willing to foster her Cynthia? That would be so lovely for her. If so I can ask the pound when I call them in the morning.

xxx

Yes, I am happy to foster. I spend most of these summer months closeted inside in the air conditioning, so she wouldn’t be alone for more than a couple of hours in any one day. To ensure her safety during those times, I will dig out my old crate and set it up in the lounge.

:thumbsup:

Yes, I am happy to foster. I spend most of these summer months closeted inside in the air conditioning, so she wouldn’t be alone for more than a couple of hours in any one day. To ensure her safety during those times, I will dig out my old crate and set it up in the lounge.

:thumbsup:

I agree, how lovely of you to offer DDD. :)

I was thinking about this today as I was giving Scottie a bath.

Three things.

I) I think I know the dog you mean (totally irrelevant)

II) there is a vet near sydney park who offers vet services to homeless owners. Can't think of their name - all I know is the owner of the practice is a man. It's possible they've used him or contacted him. Will do some extra googling for you.

III) Her owners are probably distraught. Even if one of them is in hospital there'd be a huge chance the other is looking for her and people would surely be looking for her. Try contacting the City of Sydney's Homelessness unit - they might have heard she was missing.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/community/community-support/homelessness

Also - possibly charities who run soup kitchens in their areas?

Totally from a different angle knowing nothing about the pound system over there, or the ownership situation......but do you know how she entered the pound system. As in, was she picked up as a stray off the streets by a ranger, brought in by a member of the public as a found stray, or is there a chance she might have actually been surrendered. That sounds out of character from what you've said, but is it possible to find out how she came into the system ?

I hope the outcome is positive for all concerned.

Is there anything this amazingly wonderful dog community cant achieve? We have found Pete! Thankyou fbaudry :thumbsup: Pete was taken to hospital and his belongings including Minnie were left behind :(. I spoke to a friend of his who will see him tomorrow. I am so relieved. Thankyou from the bottom of my heart :cheer:

sending you a PM, I've located someone helping Peter looking for Minnie

You are a legend! :thumbsup:

Caz, you must be so relieved. Your kindness in putting your contact number on Minnie's microchip made keeping track of her possible.