Spinning Mini Schnauzer

For about 12 months a friends mini schnauzer has gone through episodes of spinning around in an attempt to bite something that appears to be bothering her at the base of the tail. Sometimes it's the usual sort of calm licking we've all seen in our dogs. At another times the behaviour is quite frantic. She's been tested for a UTI, anal gland problems and is on v expensive flea treatment. But nothing seems to help. I should point out that she will spin around as if to bite her tail at least once an hour except, obviously, when asleep. AND she only ever spins in one direction, to the right.

Personally I think they should sedate her to see if a coarse wiry hair is perhaps growing in the vagina or anus. The vet thinks it could possibly be mild seizure like behaviour.

Does anyone have any ideas, or seen similar behaviour in a dog?

I would suggest anal gland issue, possible hair growing into the vulva area. Also if she is being clipped, are the groomer's cutting too short or with hot blades and burning her?

My bitch has suffered from anal gland issues since rescued and I take her to vet to have them done about every 6 weeks. Another vet opinion needed.

it may not be, but I'd be worried that it is an O C D behaviour :( It would be interesting to see exactly what happens - is there any common factor ? A sound, action, time when it happens ....all that sort of thing . How many revolutions does the dog do -- one or two, then lose interest ..or can it go on for a couple of minutes?

Thanks for all the feedback. There's no pattern to the behaviour in the sense that it's not brought on by any sort on stimulus, excitement, boredom etc. The only pattern is the turning in one direction. It's like she's suddenly pricked by something. Sometimes the response is more frantic and ongoing than others. The vet has emptied the anal glands and she's also been on antihistamines in case it was a grass allergy. I feel the only way to truly examine her is to anaesthetise her to have a thorough poke around but one doesn't like to knock her out without good reason. And unfortunately she doesn't need her teeth cleaned!

Thanks for all the feedback. There's no pattern to the behaviour in the sense that it's not brought on by any sort on stimulus, excitement, boredom etc. The only pattern is the turning in one direction. It's like she's suddenly pricked by something. Sometimes the response is more frantic and ongoing than others. The vet has emptied the anal glands and she's also been on antihistamines in case it was a grass allergy. I feel the only way to truly examine her is to anaesthetise her to have a thorough poke around but one doesn't like to knock her out without good reason. And unfortunately she doesn't need her teeth cleaned!

But how long ago were her glands done?

The owners could clip/scissor around her vulva area and I am sure the vet (hopefully) has checked to see if there is hair in her vulva?

Could be lots of reasons for the behaviour (if OCD) - is the dog walked enough and is it mentally stimulated? Schnauzers are easily bored:)

My girl Would wake up from a deep sleep and act as though something had bitten her. She would run and try to bite her back end.

We finally worked out that she had a muscle spasm and it used to twitch and really worry her.

She went to a vet who worked on her trigger points and all was good.