Choosing A Dog!

Petar

Teebs yes thanks for stepping in! Definitely don't want a dog attacking anyone it doesn't know! That would be a nightmare for any social settings or visitors!

A dog the will bark, alert if something is wrong and step in if something bad is happening.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think the Chow Chow is one you should look at. You won't see loads of recs for them because most people don't know much about them, haven't met them or spent time around them.

They are around the size of an Amstaff, are independent and content with their own company, ridiculously easy to house train, not particularly destructive, quiet and pretty low energy, loyal to the end and innately protective of you and yours. People say they are stubborn but it depends what you want from a dog. If you want a smart busy dog obeying commands and showing off tricks, you'll find a Chow stubborn. But if you want a calm steady dog that knows itself and doesn't feel the need to display to the world, the Chow is perfect.

I have no problem with people working full time, I did it with all three of mine from puppyhood and it was fine, what I find is that it basically requires a big commitment of the time you are not work. As long as you are happy to do that you can provide a happy life for dog. You've said you'll have the dog inside with you, which makes a huge difference! A dog that can follow you around and check put what you're doing, interact with you, be spoken to, played with for short little stints between doing other things etc when you are home gets much more opportunity for stimulation and satisfaction than one that might be shut outside by itself (not that's not do-able either, it just takes an even bigger commitment!!)

And with training, as I said consistency gets results with dogs so a dog being on ita own amusing itself for long periods on some days will slow things down. It's not a problem for the dog, or for you as long as you understand that and don't expect too much from the dog.

I only worry because working in a shelter I've heard many times people saying that they walk their dog for an hour every night and take him to training once a week and he is still naughty and destructive and it turns out that apart from when it is being walked and taken to training it is pretty much in the yard by itself, because people didn't realise that that isn't enough stimulation or interaction for any dog.

As far as guarding, most dogs will bark and alert if something is wrong, although they may also bark when things are perfectly fine but they THINK it's wrong, like the wind is blowing, birds are squawking or bats are knocking mangoes off the tree in the garden (this is a new one we are dealing with here :laugh: ) I still like knowing that my dogs will kick up a fuss if someone turns up at my house and hope will deter intruders.

Most dogs however will not step in if something bad is happening, even the guardian or protection type breeds, unless they have been extensively trained to do so, or have an unstable temperament which means you can't be sure it will only be the bad guys they step in for. I suspect my Australian Shepherd would attempt to protect me if someone actually was a threat to me and I was scared, or if I wasn't there and she herself felt threatened and couldnt get away she may attempt to fight, but it would be uncontrolled and although she may (big may) scare someone off I think she'd be likely to get hurt herself, which I'd hate.

She does have a big loud bark though and she goes up on her hind legs at barks and bays (if she's unsure of something or if she's really excited) and I have actually heard people say they find her scary, or seen them take a step back, even though when she isn't doing that she looks sweet and cute and everyone wants to cuddle her. So I much prefer to rely on the bark to hopefully scare people off and if it really came down to it I would hope she made herself scarce.

Age wise, I think a 2.5-3 year old would be ideal, that is when they are really becoming their adult self, you can get a good sense of their temperament, their barkiness, their activity levels and whether they are happy enough or own or get stressed by it, but of course they are still young enough to be an active and fun companion.

Edited by Simply Grand

I still think the Chow Chow is one you should look at. You won't see loads of recs for them because most people don't know much about them, haven't met them or spent time around them.

They are around the size of an Amstaff, are independent and content with their own company, ridiculously easy to house train, not particularly destructive, quiet and pretty low energy, loyal to the end and innately protective of you and yours. People say they are stubborn but it depends what you want from a dog. If you want a smart busy dog obeying commands and showing off tricks, you'll find a Chow stubborn. But if you want a calm steady dog that knows itself and doesn't feel the need to display to the world, the Chow is perfect.

Do Chows tend to alert bark blinkblink? I've only met two that I can think of and can't recall either of them making any noise (not that that's bad!). They weren't on their home territory though at the time.

They are lovely dogs.

Do Chows tend to alert bark blinkblink? I've only met two that I can think of and can't recall either of them making any noise (not that that's bad!). They weren't on their home territory though at the time.

They are lovely dogs.

No they are not generally into displaying their intentions. They will notice everything going on in their environment and will absolutely step up if they feel they need to. They are one breed that needs no training at all to be a dependable protector and guardian, it comes naturally to them. Unlike a lot of the traditional guard breeds that will display and bark, the Chow will lay quietly and wait and see.

They are certainly not everyone's perfect dog, but I think the Chow would be highly suitable to the OP situation. It may take a bit of effort to meet some breeders and get a handle on the breed, but I believe it would be very worth the effort. They are not particularly difficult as puppies even.

Now I want another one !

Don't mind the look and description of the Chow Chow, however it appears I'll have to battle with a lot of hair around the place?

No not really any more than many other breeds. The coated Chow has a medium length double coat which means they retain most of their coat until you shed it out manually with a brush, as opposed to the shorter double coats which just shed off everywhere. A good brush once a week and a trip to the groomer about every 8 to 12 weeks (or more frequently if affordable and desirable) and you really should not suffer with hair more than most other short to medium thick and double coat breeds. The advantage of the longer softer coat on the Chow is that shedding hairs are easily removed from clothes and furnishings with a rolling action of a damp hand, whereas the very short coats like the Dobe and G.Pinscher for example, are like needles that poke into the fabrics and are more difficult to remove!

the Chow is impeccably clean in its personal habits and has a quiet laid back contemplative almost meditative outlook on life. They are deep thinkers and don't need loads of mental stimulation and training to be happy. Infact they avoid it if possible!

The Chow is a very unique type of dog. They are not fussy needy dogs, but will be your best friend and most loyal companion.

They are well suited to apartment and small home living.

A breed that I think you can find pretty much everything you want. The Chow is a very undemanding breed.

Regarding the German Pinscher, I would believe they would be a breed that would thrive with a lot of mental stimulation, training and exercise and may become bored and destructive without it.

The chow's temperament is pretty serious and they can be quite dominant dogs. On top of that you have a dog that ranks pretty high up there for independent thinking so general obedience could be harder, they certainly have the spitz what is in it for me personality in spades.

--Lhok

I realise some of my criteria and questions may sound naive, that's why I'm here! Last thing I want to do is go out and get a dog then try and fit a square peg in a round hole, leaving miserable dog and frustrated owners. Thank you all for your input, it really is helping. After your suggestions, bull type breeds are off the list.

Also I disagree respectful re: couch space haha! That was just an example, but a large dog = more surface area obviously, and in a smaller size dwelling I can't see it suiting us.

And like some have mentioned I need to ask the question - how do other full time professionals own dogs? In this day an age with 9-5 being almost a myth, how do they keep their dogs happy and disciplined? Being home for 3 full days and an afternoon each week is surely more than the average couple?

However understand the point of inconsistency of training a puppy and not being there to correct/reward/address behaviours. Would gladly consider an older dog, perhaps up to 3 years old?

The space thing should not be an issue. There are plenty of dogs in Europe and the US, as two examples, that live in apartments and they're not all small dogs. It's the quality of life not the quantity of space.

The chow's temperament is pretty serious and they can be quite dominant dogs. On top of that you have a dog that ranks pretty high up there for independent thinking so general obedience could be harder, they certainly have the spitz what is in it for me personality in spades.

I wouldn't suggest any Spitz breed as a first dog really..

the Chow is impeccably clean in its personal habits and has a quiet laid back contemplative almost meditative outlook on life. They are deep thinkers and don't need loads of mental stimulation and training to be happy. Infact they avoid it if possible!

The Chow is a very unique type of dog. They are not fussy needy dogs, but will be your best friend and most loyal companion.

Er.. I've met a few chows,and I wouldn't be recommending them for a first time owner. But email a few breeders and ask if it would suit. Best way to start!

Some of what you want is incompatible. But good on you for thinking. While training i see many people with dogs that dont really suit.

I like short coated dogs. My personal preference but then u do get hair. So with three inside u just vacum more.

I would b looking at shows but how about a italian greyhound. Thats my choice but something less full on and quiet definitely.good luck.

Or a adult rescue, i love my first dog from Paws rescue.

I wouldn't suggest any Spitz breed as a first dog really..

Er.. I've met a few chows,and I wouldn't be recommending them for a first time owner. But email a few breeders and ask if it would suit. Best way to start!

These were my thoughts also.

What about a retired or failed show dog. They come with training and if you get maybe a two or three year old you don't have the puppy problems.

There are always retiring mature dogs on the DOL Breed pages.

If you look at it it this way all the hard work and puppy grief has been delt with if your lucky.

My Anna who is a Basset Fauve de Bretegne came to me at 4 after her last litter. I couldn't have found a better dog.

Another idea is a senior rescue they sound like hard work but they arnt really, all the ones I have had have been wonderful dogs. You could get a youngish senior. Then you can make all the mistakes people make with their first dog and it wont affect them. :D

I suppose you could test to see if you could find it do-able to add a dog to your current lifestyle by adding an hour's walk in the morning before you go to work and by setting aside an hour again in the evening. Maybe you could spend the hour in the evening researching dog training and breeds so that you have good background knowledge for when the dog arrives. Also be aware of what it might be like doing this in the middle of winter when it's dark, or when its raining... that sort of thing. If you find it really exhausting or tedious you'll know that adding a dog to your life probably isn't the best idea.

What about a retired or failed show dog. They come with training and if you get maybe a two or three year old you don't have the puppy problems.

If you look at it it this way all the hard work and puppy grief has been delt with if your lucky.

My Anna who is a Basset Fauve de Bretegne came to me at 4 after her last litter. I couldn't have found a better dog.

Another idea is a senior rescue they sound like hard work but they arnt really, all the ones I have had have been wonderful dogs. You could get a youngish senior. Then you can make all the mistakes people make with their first dog and it wont affect them. :D

Yep, this is what I was thinking too.

I suppose you could test to see if you could find it do-able to add a dog to your current lifestyle by adding an hour's walk in the morning before you go to work and by setting aside an hour again in the evening. Maybe you could spend the hour in the evening researching dog training and breeds so that you have good background knowledge for when the dog arrives. Also be aware of what it might be like doing this in the middle of winter when it's dark, or when its raining... that sort of thing. If you find it really exhausting or tedious you'll know that adding a dog to your life probably isn't the best idea.

raineth , that's a great idea :)

By low maintenance, I mean not a lot of grooming requirements, drooling and as little as possible shedding, and also a dog who can cope with a full day by himself in a small yard or indoors and not destroy things out of boredom.

Get a robot.

By low maintenance, I mean not a lot of grooming requirements, drooling and as little as possible shedding, and also a dog who can cope with a full day by himself in a small yard or indoors and not destroy things out of boredom.

I had friends who had a similar criteria to the above and after a few weeks of talking to them they decided no dog could fulfill the criteria and got a cat instead.

--Lhok

I've got a 10 kilo foxie - black and white hair everywhere. Too many things destroyed out of boredom and in protest of being left at home - even with twice weekly visits from the dog walker.

Oh. And as I said - he takes up more than half the couch.

But he does have a booming bark for a little guy. Used to have the pizza and thai delivery guys fooled when we lived somewhere with access to menulog :) - and I liked keeping it that way.

raineth , that's a great idea :)

Please don't just assume that oldies are bombproof - ours is broken - and with reflection was from the day we bought him home - After a lifetime of owning dogs - fox terriers, cattle dogs, weims, mutts, jack russells... god knows what else I wont say he's the hardest dog I've lived with (that title is tied between a crazy blue cattle dog and a naughty jack Russell) but I love and adore him and wouldn't change him for a second.

Oldies come with their own pros and cons too.

Petar - maybe fostering is a good way to 'try before you buy'. You'd be well supported by your rescue group and it would give you a good idea of what it's like to live with a dog full time. It gives you lots of practice coping with different body and coat types too.

Edited by Scottsmum