Choosing A Dog!

Petar

I'm definitely open to an older dog - that would save the early puppy stages where they potentially need someone 24:7. I'll put some further enquiries out there to pounds and shelters. I've reached out to breeders but they seem to be taking a while to respond, I'll wait and see.

German Pinscher seems to be fitting the bill from the reading I've done, but would prefer a more experienced opinion of my circumstances and openly and honestly discuss my situation to determine if I'm truly suitable (much like I'm doing here ????).

I think its time to start talking to breeders.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely open to an older dog - that would save the early puppy stages where they potentially need someone 24:7. I'll put some further enquiries out there to pounds and shelters. I've reached out to breeders but they seem to be taking a while to respond, I'll wait and see.

German Pinscher seems to be fitting the bill from the reading I've done, but would prefer a more experienced opinion of my circumstances and openly and honestly discuss my situation to determine if I'm truly suitable (much like I'm doing here ????).

They are quite lively dogs, but I'm sure someone with the breed might be able to advise you, here's a Road Test of GP's to give you a little idea anyway....(not a fan of Burkes Backyard, just wanted to show you the dogs :laugh:)

A list of older German Pinschers available at the moment Are Here

And there are Puppies available In Here

And GP Breeders are listed Here

I think Angelsun (a member on here) is a breeder of German Pinschers, she might be able to advise you on their suitability too.

Thanks heaps Cazablanka. Will look into these definitely.

However I'm based in Melbourne and these are interstate. What's the protocol with purchasing, and wouldn't it be better to see the dog in person?

I think it's great you're doing your research - lots of people don't and end up with a dog they can't handle.

One thing I'd like to add is that you may think you have all these requirements for the dog, but I find if you commit to a dog then your lifestyle can adapt. If your heart is set on a German Pinscher then I'm sure you'd be able to tweak your life to suit the dog. And you might as well like the dog you get as you'll have it for a decade or so! biggrin.gif

Is there any way the dog can come with you to the cafe & maybe have a little area set up in the office or something? The dog would probably love it :)

Good point regarding making some lifestyle concessions. We're not the sort of people to make a commitment without seeing it through properly. It's always been our approach to health and fitness, and now our business as well. We wouldn't take the decision lightly, but at the same time don't want to be unrealistic about the time we aren't physically with the dog and don't want to come home after a long day and find the place destroyed haha.

I really wish we could bring the dog with us! But our place is tiny unfortunately, and don't want to simply tie him up outside when he could roam the house and yard freely. Unless that's a better alternative to leaving him home alone?

Good point regarding making some lifestyle concessions. We're not the sort of people to make a commitment without seeing it through properly. It's always been our approach to health and fitness, and now our business as well. We wouldn't take the decision lightly, but at the same time don't want to be unrealistic about the time we aren't physically with the dog and don't want to come home after a long day and find the place destroyed haha.

I really wish we could bring the dog with us! But our place is tiny unfortunately, and don't want to simply tie him up outside when he could roam the house and yard freely. Unless that's a better alternative to leaving him home alone?

Ah, yep that would make it tricky to fit a dog in. Probably nicer leaving it to roam the house/yard :)

On the odd occasion that we've left our Aussie Shepherd home alone in the yard when we've gone to Perth for a day trip (so away for 12 hours), there's usually been chaff bags and dog bedding strewn around the yard, but it's more that he runs around spreading things in glee not in anxiety. Or he'll sleep in the sun. Pretty much any breed might suit, as long as it's not an anxious type & can be fairly self-contained. I actually had a Border Collie who would literally sleep in the same spot for hours and if weather/time didn't allow he didn't mind not being walked for a few days in a row (big excited leap at the start of the walk then back to dopey wandering, I couldn't even get him to run free at the park he'd just stick to my side and walk) confused.gifrofl1.gif

If you like the idea of an older dog who might be in need of a second home, but prefer a purebred with the health tests done (although remember even all health tests cannot guarantee everything in life) look at mature dogs being rehomed by registered breeders. Sometimes they are exshow dogs, or dogs that were homed out as puppies and then given back to the breeder when circumstances changed (just like rescue dogs), but instead of given to a pound/rescue, they took them back to the breeder, now the breeder is rehoming.

Yes, a mature dog from a breeder is a great option to consider, my girl was rehomed to me as a young adult ex show/breeding dog and she fitted right into my lifestyle from day one, and I have the strongest bond with her out of all the dogs I've even owned in my life. She came already house-trained and I didn't have to worry about going through all the difficult and destructive puppy stages.

I also wanted to throw it out there not to dismiss a cat just yet - my cat is more dog than an actual dog most days! :laugh: She comes when called, greets me enthusiastically at the door when I get home, follows me around the house, knows basic tricks like Sit and Beg, plays football with me, and never begs for food! :laugh: Cats are a great joy to have around PLUS most wouldn't care about being left alone for very long (mine does but since she is part dog... she doesn't count :laugh:)

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide and it's great that you are doing your research. I don't know anything about german pinschers so won't comment on that but I have heard they are quite active little dogs.

Edited by silentchild

Melzawelza - your dog looks beautiful! (So does the cat ????). Kami, Persephone (and others). I really appreciate the support and time you've taken to help me make the right choice. Thank you for sharing information and bringing to light things I need to further consider which I have not, as a previous non dog owner I want to be across what I potentially may face. That's why I'm here - to ensure I'm prepared and making the right decision for such a serious commitment.

I guess that's why I get a little disheartened by other posts. When I'm trying to do the right thing, it's like I'm simply getting dismissed. But that's life, and obviously the response has been overwhelmingly positive, helpful and invaluable!

I love the idea of a shelter dog and saving my ideal companion. However does this leave me open to potential Unidentified illnesses or functional/genetic issues which would be prevented going through a breeder? Or do shelters identify any of these?

Thank you all.

Depends on the shelter or rescue. If you choose to adopt your very first dog I'd not go to the pound and select one with fingers crossed, go with a rescue group who will fully assess the dog (preferably one living in foster care), get all the vet checks done and makes sure you are the right owner for a good match. Choose one with a return policy. And one who is honest about baggage and/or health. There is breed specific rescue as well.

One more thing for your list; if you plan on kids in the future, focus on a dog who lives with kids already; be it a rescue or breeder's dog. :) I find that very very important when it comes to years of everyone being happy together.

I think that's the main thing, that once you've made the decision and brought the dog into your home you are committed to making it work, whatever that requires. Absolutely do all your research and find the best match you possibly can, but as dogs are living creatures they won't be perfect and problems will crop up. As long as you work through it rather than getting rid of the dog at the first sign of trouble, then you are providing a good home IMO :thumbsup:

Commitment is so important. My pup is 9 months old (I bred her) - needs a whack of mental stmulation, training and exercise. In the last 4 months I've had a new job (challenging), severe whiplash after a car accident plus a torn shoulder and now frozen shoulder (migraines all the way through). And yet still I find the time to train my 3 dogs in 2 sports including skills, fitness work and core strength. And support my puppy buyers. That's just the way life goes sometimes!

I think that's the main thing, that once you've made the decision and brought the dog into your home you are committed to making it work, whatever that requires. Absolutely do all your research and find the best match you possibly can, but as dogs are living creatures they won't be perfect and problems will crop up. As long as you work through it rather than getting rid of the dog at the first sign of trouble, then you are providing a good home IMO :thumbsup:

IMO, that's why foster (or a trial period if you go with a breeder) is good in my books. Give it your best shot, but if that particular dog's personality doesn't mesh with you there is less stress and judgement about your returning the dog and trying with the next one. That's the main reason I went with a rescue over a pound. They had a trial period and until that time was up and I was happy to keep the dog, she wasn't yet mine. It was good to have a fail safe.

The Manchester Terrier looks interesting..

http://www.iams.com/...ipins|null|null

Not a dog I'd recommend to a novice dog owner.

Tell me why so HW so i can add it to my own breed research,

I'll come back later when I have time. I 'boarded' 2 Mannies for over a year and personally they're not a dog I'd recommend to anyone! Let alone a first timer!

I've got a mate / acquaintance with three - really high maintenance. The three of them can't be walked together. Can't be taken to the dog park. I was walking with her for a while - Me with Scottie and her with one while she left two at home. All highly strung, nervy little things. The bitches are particularly nervy - the dog is OK - he was settled enough for me to pat. Bitches never trusted me.

They were always OK with Scottie - and he's reasonably unflappable.

One evening I had a friends kid with me when we went walking (11 years). Scottie and one of the bitches - both relaxed and dropped at respective owners feet when the kid pretended to hit me (we were joking around) and the bitch lept up, lunged at the full length of the lead and bit the kid breaking skin. Owner pretended to be shocked (which we all were) and protested "that she'd never done something like that before" -I wasn't convinced.

Anyhow. I wasn't invited for walkies after that.

But I never thought much more of it beyond that. Don't know any others - so that's just my limited exposure to them.

Thanks heaps Cazablanka. Will look into these definitely.

However I'm based in Melbourne and these are interstate. What's the protocol with purchasing, and wouldn't it be better to see the dog in person?

I can't really offer breed advice, I'm so besotted with my Boxer puppy that I just want to recommend them to everyone, even though they wouldn't suit long days by themselves. But I can speak to buying sight unseen.

I knew exactly what I wanted in a breeder - full health testing due to the prevalence of heart disease and other congenital issues with Boxers, focus on emotional developement of puppies, puppies raised in a home, successful show results of parents/siblings and (most importantly) breeder support and advice for the life of the puppy.

I found a wonderful breeder in my state, and was on the list for a litter due in December. Unfortunately the litter did not work out and I was reconciled to waiting until at least June of this year. On browsing the DOL listings without real plans, I happened to see the most beautiful picture of a sire and read the puppy listing. The breeder sounded perfect and had a litter on the ground ready to go in January. But the breeder was in another state.

I contacted her anyway, sending a long description of my family and situation. She called me back and we talked for over an hour, plus several emails. Long story short, she thought she had the perfect puppy for us, she had over 50 applications for her litter of 9 and takes placement very seriously, as all good breeders do.

After seeing photos and reading about this particular puppy I had no hesitation in accepting her recommendation. She arranged to fly him down to us and he is the most wonderful puppy. He is truly perfect for us, confident but not dominant, very loving but also happy to play in the backyard by himself. We've had him for a week, he has slept through the night from day one, is already toilet trained, picking up training commands quickly and fits perfectly into our busy life. He is actually far more laid back and chilled than I was expecting.

So if you find a breeder you trust interstate, don't let location stop you from getting g a puppy from them. Good breeders are experts in matching puppies to their new families. Our breeder hasn't had a puppy return to her in over 20 years of breeding Boxers.