Why Are Greyhounds Always Suggested As "no Fuss" Dogs?

Salukifan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people think their breed are the best and that is what everyone has to have.

ROFL - well it is, but I don't recommend them as the average dog owner couldn't handle them and even now I wouldn't have the time to dedicate to one, so I don't have one :(

I appreciate what the OP is saying, but I think the 'marketing' for Greys is more of a service than a disservice.

My OH keeps telling me that our greyhound is obviously broken because he needs to go for a decent (at least 20 minutes) walk every day. OH has heard about "couch potato" greyhounds and wants one of those. :rofl: I point out that, at 3 and a half, Billy has much lower exercise requirements than our old working breed girls did at the same age - he's just out of practice and 10 years older!

Billy's breeder, who also trained him for part of his racing career, told me that he showed potential because he's fast, but he was just never interested enough in chasing to be a winner. He only won one race out of 22 starts. We see that around the house. If he's in the mood, he will chase the cats when they run, but as soon as they stop he loses interest and he has no interest in grabbing them. He can be very easily called away when he's chasing them too - he'd always rather come and have a lean and a pat!

I think people think their breed are the best and that is what everyone has to have.

Noooo!

I met a family when I was out walking our Tollers recently, they had lost their toller last year and were so thrilled to see another, there aren't many in our area. The dad said 'oh aren't they the best dogs for families, every family needs a toller' and the mum and I turned in unison going 'don't be ridiculous how crazy.... if everyone had them they would ruin them and they wouldn't be so special anymore!' :rofl:

I almost never recommend my breed - but lately I've been recommending stuffed dogs more and more often :laugh:

Noooo!

I met a family when I was out walking our Tollers recently, they had lost their toller last year and were so thrilled to see another, there aren't many in our area. The dad said 'oh aren't they the best dogs for families, every family needs a toller' and the mum and I turned in unison going 'don't be ridiculous how crazy.... if everyone had them they would ruin them and they wouldn't be so special anymore!' :rofl:

I almost never recommend my breed - but lately I've been recommending stuffed dogs more and more often :laugh:

Same here! I think I've only ever suggested them once or twice but no ones ever been keen. More for me! Haha.

Noooo!

Same here! I think I've only ever suggested them once or twice but no ones ever been keen. More for me! Haha.

Well if I'm being honest, I don't share well :laugh:

Billy's breeder, who also trained him for part of his racing career, told me that he showed potential because he's fast, but he was just never interested enough in chasing to be a winner. He only won one race out of 22 starts. We see that around the house. If he's in the mood, he will chase the cats when they run, but as soon as they stop he loses interest and he has no interest in grabbing them. He can be very easily called away when he's chasing them too - he'd always rather come and have a lean and a pat!

My girl is the same, has lived with cats and a rabbit without any issues. She met the neighbours cat last week on our front lawn and once she decided she didn't need to be scared she was quite happy to say hello. Her prey drive kicks in occasionally when she sees a small animal run but her recall is good.

Or, I know my breed is the best, and therefore not any idiot should have one. At the Royals when the punters see our pretty dogs being well behaved I like to try and put them off by telling the male of the family that they are very much like 25 kilo cats. Like Espinay I would rather lead with the downside and filter out people for whom it's not going to be a good match.

I've noticed there are trends of dogs to recommend on DOL whether they are fully suited or not.

The ones I remember; labs, rotties, aussies and greys.

Don't forget Lapphunds. For a while it was like every second dog suggested was a Lappie. "I'm after a small, short haired house dog.... "get a Lapphund!"

I've noticed there are trends of dogs to recommend on DOL whether they are fully suited or not.

Don't forget Lapphunds. For a while it was like every second dog suggested was a Lappie. "I'm after a small, short haired house dog.... "get a Lapphund!"

Yes! I knew there was another that was it! laugh.gif

And Poodles ''just keep them clipped short'' . :)

Lol I find my husky very easy to live with but I don't recall ever recommending one to others, especially first time dog owners :laugh: But then I'm aware that I am used to hair everywhere and making sure gates are never ever left open and all those other sibe things lol

Greys do strike me as a very low maintenance kind of dog, but what one person sees as low maintenance another sees as a huge PITA, so at the end of the day it comes down to the owner, what they expect, and the individual animal.

A good breeder probably wouldn't have sold me a sibe back in the day because I worked full time, studied part time, owned a little dog, owned horses, I was also under the delusion that I would train him really well and he could come out off lead when I go riding. :rofl: It would have been a tragedy as I would have missed out on the awesomeness that is owning a sibe :p but certainly I'm well aware that not all deluded potential sibe owners will adapt as easily, as evidenced by the many sibes who find themselves in rescue and pounds. Better to err on the side of caution and try to ensure the breed is the best suited for the potential home, can be difficult when the best fit is the stuffed variety.