Dog Door Types Discussion

Two Best Dogs!

I think the dog is ready to graduate to having unsupervised indoor/outdoor access. So can take self to toilet, if weather goes bad can take self inside.

But unfortunately right now a large dog door is out of budget? At least, all the ones I see are little and expensive so I'm assuming bigger = more money XD

One day I would like.

Until then, do people have suggestions? The back door is like so:

- one inward opening door I can lock

- iron outward opening security door. Doesn't have anything to keep it open. Is heavy. Has been broken off its hinges on a storm once so hesitant to tie it open incase of a repeat

The two door system is stumping me on what to do. I could get rid of the security door as it's mostly there because it has pretty iron flower decoration on it...

But I also feel uncomfortable having my back door open during the day for dog to go in and out, even though unlikely she would let anyone enter.

Dilemma! People have ideas or alternatives?

Not sure just how big or agile your dog is but maybe the laundry window or a back bedroom window with ramps if necessary.

Best if top hung opening out from the sill. I have a CKCS, a large cat door suits him :)

35kg thereabouts. She's agile so I've no doubt she could get out of a window, but as the house is raised up I think getting back in would be very difficult as the height will be doubled XD

Blast I'm noticing all these autocorrects in my post. Curse mobile, I hope it all makes sense.

If the door is big enough for a large dog.. it's big enough for a human :(

My GSD didn't have a dog door for when I was out, but when I was home I'd leave the back a laundry door open and then we had an internal dog door on the internal laundry door so he could take himself outside if he needed to.. and when it was hot he had the option of sleeping outside as well.

I had my doggy door installed in my security screen door. This way I can wedge the timber internal door fully open against the wall inside, and leave the locked screen door with the doggy door. I have a 1.2 mtr baby gate at the entrance to the laundry bathroom toilet area so when I go out I close the baby gate and I know he can come and go through the doggy door, but not access the whole house. When I am home I open the baby gate. I install d some Perspex on the internal surface of the screen door, minus the doggy door area, so that in all weather it' isn't letting heat/cold in/out, just light in/out!

With a big dog a split barn door with a top / Botton half might work

Edited by blinkblink

I realise that :( I have dreams one day of those ones where the dog collar (has a sensor?) indicates if it opens or not. And that having to crawl and potentially meet a big dog while on your knees is a turn off versus a normal door wide open

Until then some kind of in and out for her...but I'm stumped! So pick the forums collective ideas it is

You can put one in the wall rather than in a door.

It's what my parents have done as their yard doors are very very expensive glass sliding double glazed doors. So they put a dog door in the wall just around the corner from the doors. Just bought the door and got a hire a hubby to install it, took about an hour.

Edit: obviously you need to own the home for this to be even a remotely viable option but I'm pretty sure you've previously said you own your own home?

Edited by mackiemad

Hmm I see snook. Maybe I could install a lock on my laundry door like your baby gate. Then dog is kind of inside but ppl can't get in

I suppose run of the house is overstated. She only ever has access to half the house.

That's probably the most cost effective way to do it - as someone else said - a door big enough for a big dog is also probably big enough for a human.

Access to the laundry is probably the best option at the moment.

PLUS - if you install an approved deadlock your insurance will still be valid and later on you can install a doggy door into the laundry and still be able to lock the house when needs be.

Our dog door is big,designed for large dogs to be able to get in & out in comfort & not injure there back.if someone is stupid enough to take there chances & come through good on them but we weren't prepared to compromise the dogs comfort .

Our door is in our security sliding door .

If you have a sliding door the easist option is the panel that just fits in ,not cheap but doesn't cause any damage or modifications & still locks the door

Edited by showdog

You are correct Mackie. It's why I currently have no money! Just had my 1 year mortgageversary XD Unfortunately, all the walls either have handy storage or a window. You give me long term ideas though. I'm hoping to get all the windows replaced in 5 years so I imagine I could easily have one converted into a dog door... Or hmmm. Could just knock one out myself since any damage will be replaced eventually. Doesn't need to be pretty.

Just all these storms out of the blue or 40 degree days.

Hmm I see snook. Maybe I could install a lock on my laundry door like your baby gate. Then dog is kind of inside but ppl can't get in

I suppose run of the house is overstated. She only ever has access to half the house.

That's probably the most cost effective way to do it - as someone else said - a door big enough for a big dog is also probably big enough for a human.

Access to the laundry is probably the best option at the moment.

PLUS - if you install an approved deadlock your insurance will still be valid and later on you can install a doggy door into the laundry and still be able to lock the house when needs be.

I agree with Scottsmum that this probably the cheapest option for right now. We have one of the large dog door inserts in our sliding door (Patiolink I think) it came with a galvanised metal insert to give the ability to block access. While your door is not a sliding door, perhaps you could keep this in mind for any future permanent dog door you get installed. You could perhaps get a blocking insert made. Just a thought.

While our dog door is big enough for a human to get in, and I was concerned about this at first, I always have the option of blocking access. And we have CCTV cameras covering the area for added measure.

Of course, I paid for the cameras before seeing my dog's reaction to an on-foot police chase of burglars through the backyards of my street. It may have been because I yelled at the guy running through my backyard, but my normally-friendly Boxer seriously gave chase, the guy just made it over the fence as Bruno lunged at him. The second guy didn't follow his mate into my yard, and police arrested him next door. Bruno was then his usual sweet self when I let the police into my yard. Go figure.

So for peace of mind, if you install a large dog door in the future, you could put up a camera to cover the area. Mine sends email alerts and footage when motion is detected. smile.gif

I realise that :( I have dreams one day of those ones where the dog collar (has a sensor?) indicates if it opens or not. And that having to crawl and potentially meet a big dog while on your knees is a turn off versus a normal door wide open

Until then some kind of in and out for her...but I'm stumped! So pick the forums collective ideas it is

I must be confused. These already exist? Google dog sensor door. There are ones where the door unlocks and your dog can push it when it picks up the signal but it otherwise remains locked, and I've just discovered one that automatically opens when your dog walks up to it so your dog doesn't even have to push!

See here: http://www.jjgroup.com.au/products/electronic-pet-doors/electric-unit/

have a look on Gum Tree - people sometimes sell their used doors with dog flaps and it is easier to negotiate (not likely to find used ones on Ebay anyway).

I put our dog flap in a few days after we got her - was approx. AU$ 60 (middle size, with double flap - and double bang :) ...no fly screen door at the laundry)...she used it straight away and it is so much more convenient for her and for us.

Security wise: a smaller person might be able to climb through it - but I guess it is easier to kick the door in. However, she is actually a pretty good guard dog, so I'm not worried.

What I mean papillon is that one day I would love one of those! When I can afford it and the install. It may now go in one of my back windows when I get them replaced (far in the future, so alternatives to then) instead of the door, now that the idea has been given to me ;)

Have checked Willem! Right now all the ones up are for little dogs or sliding doors but I'll keep an eye out.

Looks like the laundry method is the most feasible right now. I'll ask insurance what kind of lock they'll accept...

Edited by Thistle the dog

My back door is a sliding door, but had a well placed window right beside it. The glass was removed and has been replaced with a piece of marine ply with a dog door installed in it. When I sell the place I'll take out the marine ply and replace it with the original glass. :thumbsup:

That said, when one of my dogs was injured and couldn't use the dog door, I just left the back door open. Country town and fully locked backyard though :o

I am stuck and will post myself cause i am getting new wooden doors and screen. But i have a small chi upto a kelpie. Three dogs but really i need two doors.

The chi and the kelpie too different.

However atm i cut a hole in the door with no flap as such cause dog broke it by going too fast. And cut a hole myself in my screen door which is so old it is half tin at the bottom

In my new doors i think i might just cut two holes and not put in actual dog doors. Brought solid wood so i could. So just have to pay for two doors in new screen

Cannot do hole in wall of house as high up at the back.

Good luck.

My dog door has a strong magnet on it that brings the door back to closed position......because leaving doors open or a hole in a door........snakes! (Plus flies and other creepy crawlers, yuk)

I know a determined snake could probably push the flap but a strong magnetic flap is much better than nothing.

I can/ have to accept snakes outside my house......but will prevent them entering my house at any cost!