Pig Rails In Whelping Boxes, Help Or Hazard?

Kirislin

A little off topic maybe //but why are whelping boxes rectangular , when dogs are curved?

working sheepdog bitches whelp usually in clean sand , where they dig a hollow . Puppies will always roll to the centre , and there are rarely squashed ones , or ones who cannot access the bitch's warmth/milk .

Yes your quite right about having a circular one and also concave. Only problem as far as I am aware they have to be imported and at great expense. They also come with in built heating. :thumbsup:

I think the cheaper option is, as previously suggested, a clam shell pool and then buy a heat pad. I prefer to have one section warm and part of it not heated so they can crawl off the heat if they want to. If I ever breed another litter this is what I think I will go for.

A little off topic maybe //but why are whelping boxes rectangular , when dogs are curved?

working sheepdog bitches whelp usually in clean sand , where they dig a hollow . Puppies will always roll to the centre , and there are rarely squashed ones , or ones who cannot access the bitch's warmth/milk .

Yes your quite right about having a circular one and also concave. Only problem as far as I am aware they have to be imported and at great expense. They also come with in built heating. :thumbsup:

I think the cheaper option is, as previously suggested, a clam shell pool and then buy a heat pad. I prefer to have one section warm and part of it not heated so they can crawl off the heat if they want to. If I ever breed another litter this is what I think I will go for.

sounds a good plan ... I was thinking of something like a papasan Chair - you remember ? those cane half sphere things - gorgeous to sit in - impossible to get out of ? LOL

sounds a good plan ... I was thinking of something like a papasan Chair - you remember ? those cane half sphere things - gorgeous to sit in - impossible to get out of ? LOL

aaah yes those were the days, when we were young and lithe and slim...........and we still couldn't get out of the damn things! :laugh:

aaah yes those were the days, when we were young and lithe and slim...........and we still couldn't get out of the damn things! :laugh:

LOL!! That's it!

LOL!! That's it!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

We use pvc and its not fixed to the box in any way, it's just a square with feet. The puppies can push their way out if need be.

I've done the same. I think the rails saved at least one, maybe several pups, in each litter. I don't know how many times I found a pup between momma-dog's back and the wall of the box . .. protected by the rail.(my girls averaged over 9 pups per litter)/

Edited by sandgrubber