Pig Rails In Whelping Boxes, Help Or Hazard?

Kirislin

Rather than saving a puppy, I'm curious if anyone else has had puppies squashed between mother and these bloody awful things. Twice now I've had to rush to the rescue of a puppy, thankfully I recognised the awful ear piercing screams as something different to the normal whimpering that they sometimes do. The first time was the boy being crushed across his spine and just now the tiny girl across her neck! I hope they will both be OK. I've now got some blankets to roll up and jam down the back of them to hopefully stop the puppies getting stuck between Neko and the rail. :(

Pig rails no higher than half the the bitch's rib-rib width lying down if that makes sense. It sounds like they are too high. Take them out once pups look like they will get stuck. Personally I don't use any rugs - I have a real digger and was worried she'd bury them in all her caring. I much prefer marine carpet - great grip for babies, easy to pressure hose and quick to dry.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Yes, it does make sense, thanks. I dont think lower ones would have helped the boy when he was between her and the rail and she leant back on him. It might have helped the little girl though. When Marcus comes to visit I will ask if it's possible to remove them. I hate them.

Yes, take them out once the pups are moving about well.

Before that they can be lifesavers - I have had a couple of babies squashed between mum and the side of the box where there is no rail ie where the opening is. Never had one squashed against the sides where there is a rail. Now I have rails on all four sides and Mum steps over it when she wants to get out.

Edited by JRG

I had a box with easily removable rails, I decided not to put them in and it was apparent that there was no way mom was going to squash anybody, she was super careful with the babies. I think they are an individual thing, some breeds and some individuals probably need them but they weren't for us.

Edited by Diva

I won't use a whelping box without them. :)

It depends on what type of rails you have fitted. Round rails I find the pups stick their head through and get caught when older and now I use the solid rails with no problems. Also depends where the rails are positioned for the individual breed.

Now I am not being critical here, but why was the bitch not up on her feet and investigating the crying ? I only ask because the slightest noise and my bitches are up on their feet investigating. Could the bitch be tired after whelping and be in such a deep sleep that she didn't wake. Hope you have solved the problem because no breeder wants this sort of problem.

It depends on what type of rails you have fitted. Round rails I find the pups stick their head through and get caught when older and now I use the solid rails with no problems. Also depends where the rails are positioned for the individual breed.

Now I am not being critical here, but why was the bitch not up on her feet and investigating the crying ? I only ask because the slightest noise and my bitches are up on their feet investigating. Could the bitch be tired after whelping and be in such a deep sleep that she didn't wake. Hope you have solved the problem because no breeder wants this sort of problem.

You'd have to ask her this question. Both times she was awake. With the most recent mishap she actually did try to move but as she did she was pressing on the puppys neck even more. It was just lucky I was there and able to push her head down and release the pup.

My whippet Penny was the same though, she'd be laying on a puppy and it was squealing and she'd just lay there. I was the one who'd have to rescue it. You're lucky your girls are more responsive.

You'd have to ask her this question. Both times she was awake. With the most recent mishap she actually did try to move but as she did she was pressing on the puppys neck even more. It was just lucky I was there and able to push her head down and release the pup.

My whippet Penny was the same though, she'd be laying on a puppy and it was squealing and she'd just lay there. I was the one who'd have to rescue it. You're lucky your girls are more responsive.

Just wishing you all the best and looks as though you will have to be ever vigilant with her. Looks as though you may be in for a bit of a rough few weeks.

thanks, I had to go out today and I didn't dare leave them unattended, even though I've rolled blankets up and put them behind the rails. My friend came down to puppy sit, I dont think she minded though, the puppies got plenty of cuddles.

Edited by Kirislin

thanks, I had to go out today and I didn't dare leave them unattended, even though I've rolled blankets up and put them behind the rails. My friend came down to puppy sit, I dont think she minded though, the puppies got plenty of cuddles.

That's about all you can do. I'm afraid it may be a couple of rough weeks for you. All the best for the litter and you.

A little off topic maybe //but why are whelping boxes rectangular , when dogs are curved?

working sheepdog bitches whelp usually in clean sand , where they dig a hollow . Puppies will always roll to the centre , and there are rarely squashed ones , or ones who cannot access the bitch's warmth/milk .

A little off topic maybe //but why are whelping boxes rectangular , when dogs are curved?

working sheepdog bitches whelp usually in clean sand , where they dig a hollow . Puppies will always roll to the centre , and there are rarely squashed ones , or ones who cannot access the bitch's warmth/milk .

Cause they are easier to make. :D

I made my own and no way could I make a curved one. Lots of people do use clam shells or blow up pools dependng on the size of the dog.

Cause they are easier to make. :D

I made my own and no way could I make a curved one. Lots of people do use clam shells or blow up pools dependng on the size of the dog.

fair enough :)

Yes your quite right about having a circular one and also concave. Only problem as far as I am aware they have to be imported and at great expense. They also come with in built heating. :thumbsup:

Yes your quite right about having a circular one and also concave. Only problem as far as I am aware they have to be imported and at great expense. They also come with in built heating. :thumbsup:

Interesting ... :)