Excited Peeing 3Mth Pomeranian How To Help Stop It

miss_blue99

How do you stop a 3 month old pomeranian from peeing by accident when she gets excited? I read that they should grow out of it eventually but is there any way to help train it to stop it from happening. usually when i come out to see her she gets all hyped up and it just happens by accident. i dont know how to prevent her from getting hyper either.

She is generally toilet trained but once she pooped on the concrete (but generally she does it all on the grass.

Just a side note i took her out on a walk with a friend who has a male papillion/fox terrior and a female papillion... But she freaked out and was shaking in my arms as soon as the male papillion starts barking (poor thing, i kept her in my arms because i could feel her fear). Do you think she will get over the barking dogs once she hit her first birthday? or is it just a size thing (cause she is tiny)?

is your pup kept outside? because you say when you go out to see her. The only thing that may help is to go in and out hundreds of times every day paying her no attention but that's a bit cruel in my opinion. You have a dog who is bred to be a companion so of course she is going to get excited if she only sees you when you go outside. What you really need to do is bring her inside with you and if she wee's in excitement so what, tiny dogs = tiny wees and easy to clean up.

As for "freaking" out when another tiny dog barked, put her on the ground, she's a dog even if small. Nothing will change at the age of one if she hasn't been shown how to cope with life. Look for a good training club to help you expose her to other dogs etc. She doesn't have to become an obedience star but some basic training will do you both the world of good.

Edited by Rebanne

congrats with your puppy. if my memory serve me right, I think you had just asked opinions about Pomeranian and chi puppies just last week?

that's so lucky for you to get a puppy in a very short time. Hope you enjoy the puppyhood :D

has your puppy finished all her vaccines? If not, then I won't be bringing her for a walk yet. unless you carry her around.

and introduce her slowly to other dogs.

Thanks Monchichi and yes she has completed all her vacs.

No she doesn't sit outdoor all day long when i do leave her outside there is sufficient shading, a kennel, water, toys and everything else. Rebanne there is no need to get snippy, i didn't get a puppy to make her miserable! which is why i am on here asking for some advice.

At night she sleeps indoors where i have put fake grass in one area for her to pee on (for consistancy - to keep her from getting confused (the puppy pee pad didnt work at all).

She usually accidentally pees when walking through the living room however i have noticed that when she is outside she has better controls and strolls off to the grass or the hedges when she needs to poop (but sometimes she has the accident, not sure if she even has time to realise she had an accident).

I understand that puppies may have accidents from time to time and they can't control their bladder sometimes due to excitement i just want to try and help her so she can calm down which will prevent more frequent accidents.

Persephone Thank you again you are so helpful :)

....She usually accidentally pees when walking through the living room however i have noticed that when she is outside she has better controls and strolls off to the grass or the hedges when she needs to poop (but sometimes she has the accident, not sure if she even has time to realise she had an accident).....

is she spayed?

Edited by Willem

How do you stop a 3 month old pomeranian from peeing by accident when she gets excited? I read that they should grow out of it eventually but is there any way to help train it to stop it from happening. usually when i come out to see her she gets all hyped up and it just happens by accident. i dont know how to prevent her from getting hyper either.

She is generally toilet trained but once she pooped on the concrete (but generally she does it all on the grass.

Just a side note i took her out on a walk with a friend who has a male papillion/fox terrior and a female papillion... But she freaked out and was shaking in my arms as soon as the male papillion starts barking (poor thing, i kept her in my arms because i could feel her fear). Do you think she will get over the barking dogs once she hit her first birthday? or is it just a size thing (cause she is tiny)?

She's only a baby and has no family anymore other than you. Usually they grow out of nervy or excitement pee. How long she outside alone? How many hours is she left alone and what does she have to keep her brain busy? Do you have time to sit with a cup of tea outside while she toddles around?

Don't take a tiny toy puppy out and plonk her on the ground amongst giants (from her point of view everything is huge, even your feet), it's too soon to expect absolute confidence. You need to teach her it's safe and that you have control of things eg not being barked at by a strange dog. If you hope to use off leash parks one day .... it takes learning.

Join a good puppy class, ask here for a recommendation in your area. Some classes are just a total shambles and do more harm than good. :mad

Toilet training; there will be accidents. She's actually doing pretty well. :) Sometimes it just sneaks up on puppies, they can get distracted and leave it a bit too late. Use treats, physically take her out, wait & reward her when she goes in the correct place.

I highly recommend searching through the Dr Sophia Yin advice. She was an amazing woman :(http://drsophiayin.com/

There is also Dr Jo Righetti here in Aus who is very talented and publishes a few e-books for download too http://www.petproblemsolved.com.au/

Edited by Powerlegs

....She usually accidentally pees when walking through the living room however i have noticed that when she is outside she has better controls and strolls off to the grass or the hedges when she needs to poop (but sometimes she has the accident, not sure if she even has time to realise she had an accident).....

is she spayed?

Nope she is too young to be spayed

She's only a baby and has no family anymore other than you. Usually they grow out of nervy or excitement pee. How long she outside alone? How many hours is she left alone and what does she have to keep her brain busy? Do you have time to sit with a cup of tea outside while she toddles around?

Don't take a tiny toy puppy out and plonk her on the ground amongst giants (from her point of view everything is huge, even your feet), it's too soon to expect absolute confidence. You need to teach her it's safe and that you have control of things eg not being barked at by a strange dog. If you hope to use off leash parks one day .... it takes learning.

Join a good puppy class, ask here for a recommendation in your area. Some classes are just a total shambles and do more harm than good. :mad

Toilet training; there will be accidents. She's actually doing pretty well. :) Sometimes it just sneaks up on puppies, they can get distracted and leave it a bit too late. Use treats, physically take her out, wait & reward her when she goes in the correct place.

I highly recommend searching through the Dr Sophia Yin advice. She was an amazing woman :(http://drsophiayin.com/

There is also Dr Jo Righetti here in Aus who is very talented and publishes a few e-books for download too http://www.petproblemsolved.com.au/

Yea, i think she is doing well its just those little accidents and i read not to get angry about it, i just take her outside when she has an accident. she has alot of toys to keep her preoccupied. Yep every afternoon when i come back from work i prepare her dinner get her to eat then sit with her, play with her and take her for a walk. I also brush her once every second night.

I dont think i would unleash her at a park id be scared she would run away. Thank you i will look at those links :)

is she spayed?

Nope she is too young to be spayed

I thought the accidents might be linked to incontinence due to spaying as it seems she didn't realize it, but if it occurs it is mostly in older dogs anyway and not in puppies, hence not likely in this case also if she would have been spayed.

Not sure about the fake grass as it 'allows' her to pee inside - I see your idea behind, but I think it is actually more confusing for the dog and I would be concerned she gets used to peeing inside.

Edited by Willem

Yea, i think she is doing well its just those little accidents and i read not to get angry about it, i just take her outside when she has an accident. she has alot of toys to keep her preoccupied. Yep every afternoon when i come back from work i prepare her dinner get her to eat then sit with her, play with her and take her for a walk. I also brush her once every second night.

I dont think i would unleash her at a park id be scared she would run away. Thank you i will look at those links :)

So far we have been ignoring her til she settles which has been working but now i have noticed if i leaver her for a few mins to go to the bathroom she does it while she waits for me at the door! and if i walk around in the kitchen and stop for a few mins she will leave me a pressie by peeing :( so not sure if she is just being cheeky or it really is an accident and she is not excited when this occurs.

The fake grass has been working :) she goes to toilet on the grass when i lock her up in the bathroom for the night time.

its just during the day when she is around me in the living room which i am having trouble. I dont even realise she does til she moves and its too late. I tell her NO and place her nose near the smell then walk her to where the grass is and say piss here. but not sure if it is too late or even if she understands what i am trying to say :(

I tell her NO and place her nose near the smell then walk her to where the grass is and say piss here. but not sure if it is too late or even if she understands what i am trying to

:(:(

Do you know what that is teaching her?

That you are to be feared ...

that's all.

She is NOT peeing to be 'cheeky' . Guaranteed.

She is more likely peeing because you do not yet understand what she is telling you...and because she is a bit fearful when you approach ..

She can also be peeing more because of a BLADDER INFECTION .. I strongly suggest a vet check /urine sample .. to rule out a urinary tract infection .

I tell her NO and place her nose near the smell then walk her to where the grass is and say piss here. but not sure if it is too late or even if she understands what i am trying to

:(:(

Do you know what that is teaching her?

That you are to be feared ...

that's all.

She is NOT peeing to be 'cheeky' . Guaranteed.

She is more likely peeing because you do not yet understand what she is telling you...and because she is a bit fearful when you approach ..

She can also be peeing more because of a BLADDER INFECTION .. I strongly suggest a vet check /urine sample .. to rule out a urinary tract infection .

As above!

Please, if you read the links I provided you will find that she's got no idea what you're doing except frightening and confusing the hell out of her. It won't help her 'excitement' peeing and could aggravate it.

You can accomplish what you want and have a happy puppy who wants to please you. :)

What area are you in? I'd like to find you a decent puppy class to go to. Good classes give the owner tools to successfully raise a puppy by understanding simple behavioural basics.

btw not sure what you're feeding her but if it's dry food (especially salty dry), in my experience it dramatically increases thirst which fills up their little bladder rapidly.

Have a read up on how to toilet train a puppy. You don't need to yell at them to toilet train them, you can do it all in a positive way. The key is to take her outside very regularly. Take her out on lead and stand in the one place and be very boring. To be boring you need to not give her eye contact, not talk to her or pat her. Just wait for her to squat. When she squats say a cue, I use 'get busy'. Then you can praise her and give her a treat and have a game.

If you are waiting and it's been ten minutes and she hasn't gone you can go back inside.

You need to do this after she eats, after she drinks, after she plays and after she wakes, and just generally at least every hour. Probably less for a tiny little dog. Also watch for her sniffing or circling inside, when that happens it's a sign of an imminent wee.

You need to continue this until there's not been an accident in the house for 4 weeks.

Toilet training a puppy is more about you than the puppy. If a puppy has an accident it's because the human has made a mistake :)