Jacket That Will Stay On A Small Dog?

parrotpea

Does anyone have any suggestions? My little short-haired chi feels the cold, and doesn't like going outside for a wee when the weather cools down, but always takes her coat off within 5 minutes of it being put on..

I have tried a few different types but she is a little houdini!

Hi I have the same problem, mi little short haired chi is 1.9kg we have tried many jackets, jumpers, coats and pj's she will leave them on when we are out walking but as soon as we get home she does what we call the' crocodile roll' so they spin around and she can get them off, then she will sit and shiver.

My solution has been putting beds in front of the heater and leaving it on if its under 20 degrees, she has an open crate full of blankets in our room that she will snuggle into when the heater is off and we leave a couple of big soft blankets on the couch so she can bury herself.

Oh and we the weeing in the cold issue, we made an indoor toilet for her and that solved the problem.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

I''ll give the jacket a try - I'm not hopeful though! Did you do any training to encourage them to keep their jacket on?

I'm thinking an indoor toilet might be a necessity as our little Tibby doesn't like weeing in the cold either - and she should be warm enough! lol

Which indoor toilet did you get rascalmyshadow? Or did you make one?

We made our indoor toilet, we used a large kitty litter tray, laid a puppy pee pad in the bottom, then put a heavy duty cake cooling rack over the top and covered it with fake grass cut to size.

it is very easy to clean just change the puppy pee pad (I only have to do it once a week for the chi no other dogs use it)and wash the fake grass/litter tray with dishwashing liquid and hang to dry, oh and of course remove any poop asap.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

Claudia always seemed to pee in the same spot in the lounge room (luckily we don't have carpet) so I put the toilet in that spot so she automatically used it, a couple of times I saw her about to go somewhere else I just picked her up and put her on it. Chi's are smart little dogs just do the same thing as you would if you were taking him/her to a certain spot outside, remember to reward if you see the toilet being used.

Does this jacket fit closely around the arms?

My chi x terrier type bitza doesn't deliberately undress himself, but he likes to curl up into a tiny ball with his front legs/paws held tightly against/under his chest, and if the armholes are too large (and most are) he actually tucks them INTO his clothes and gets stuck.

I've had success with the jumper below, but it may not come small enough for those of you with very little dogs (my boy is a lean/athletic 3.8kg, 11 inch back, not sure if he's wearing the 25 or 30cm coat). It looks like your average knitted dog jumper but must be cut differently.

http://www.petsplus.com.au/pet-shop.asp?id=1050

Does this jacket fit closely around the arms?

My chi x terrier type bitza doesn't deliberately undress himself, but he likes to curl up into a tiny ball with his front legs/paws held tightly against/under his chest, and if the armholes are too large (and most are) he actually tucks them INTO his clothes and gets stuck.

I have several sizes of the coats (and several sizes of chis!). Some of them fit closer around the front legs than others. There does seem to be some variation in the size of the leg holes, and my long and skinny shaped boy can sometimes get his legs out of the holes. My other 3 have more normal chest girths, and they can't.

A really determined dog can wriggle out of nearly any garment. Sigh.

I would be visiting the op shops for toddlers or babies fleecy or woollen jumpers for a low cost supply of small sleeves which can be easily turned into chi jackets by cutting of the sleeves and snipping leg holes. The aim of having a fair few sleeves to play with is to keep trying different things until you find the "design" that is difficult to wriggle out of. There is a how-to on this page.

With a chi, you could probably do much the same with a wooly sock. smile.gif

Also try to get her to associate jackets with good times by doing fun things like cuddling and active playing and treats when she is wearing the jacket and taking it off at other times. Hopefully jacket toleration will grow from this.

I have a few of the Prestige Pet type (for bigger breed) and have found that taking a tuck in either side of the zip tightens the garment round the body.

Not difficult to do and makes them fit really well.