Best Head Halter For Walking Dog That Pulls?

My foster, Jack, was a shocker to take for a walk when he first came to us. He has the strength of an ox and to top it all is fear aggressive towards other dogs so I need good control over him. I started using a front clipping head halter that I had and it has made a huge difference. We now have relaxed walks and he is more likely to heel when I ask him to. I was having a look on the internet and I see that you can buy head halters that clip behind the head.

Has anyone used the rear clipping types? Are they better than the front clipping ones?

I wouldn't think the rear clipping ones would be any more effective than the front clipping ones, if anything I'd expect the front clipping ones to work better. The idea with using a head collar is that the dog is next to you with the lead loose so that the dog's head doesn't get jerked around by it getting a pace up out in front of you.

I would think a back clipping one would make that position less comfortable? As far as control goes, they should all be designed to distribute the pressure around the harness anyway so it's not all focussed on one point on the dog's head.

If you have a head collar that fits and is working well I would stick with it. Are you using a double ended leash also attached to the collar (you should be as pretty much all head collars can be got off if the dog reeeaaaally wants to so you need a back up)? If you are progressing well with the head collar you could start transitioning to working on the flat collar (still with head collar on, just move the pressure from the leash back to the flat collar) and focus on using your training cues, rewards and body language :)

Thank you for your reply SG. I have the leash clipped onto the head halter and a martingdale collar. I figure I'm less likely to give him whiplash this way! If he's being good, I slip the halter off his nose but if I see a dog in the distance or he starts to pull, I slip it back on.

I've had Jack for less than 2 months now so we're still getting to know each other. He's starting to learn that I'm a little more stubborn than he is. We're seeing a behaviorist next week to help out with some other issues.

Thanks for your input!

Attachment behind the head may apply pressure in a way that send a message to the dog, a bit like a bitch grabbing her pups on the scruff to discipline them or scruffing a dog. I know with the type of grooming tether I use 'The Groomers Helper" is designed that if the dog backs up it applies pressure to the back of the neck, which sends an authoritative message to the dog without me having to manhandle it. It is very effective to calm dogs down without having to use a terse verbal or physical correction via me. I can let the dog figure it out for itself and usually only takes one or two attempts from the dog and then it stands quietly, without me having to touch it, so doesn't associate me with discipline, then I can work on praising the better behaviour. So that's one thing that the rear clipping ones might be working on.

Another vote for the Black Dog Infin8 head collar. They work slightly differently to any other. I have found them extremely effective with a rescue boy I had who had never had any collar/ lead training. They are a bit fiddley to put on at first but once you are use to them, are as simple as. Very simple to progress to a martingale collar as well. I loved the fact that your lead attached on top of their head behind their ears, not under the chin like many other head collars. It gave you so much control over their head without interferring with the dogs head carriage. Highly recommend them...

Ive used the Black Dog Infin8 too. I used it for my head strong Kelpie x, who pulled like a train on a slip collar or flat collar. It gave me good control and I didnt have to worry about his neck, once he got use to the feel of being controlled he loved it and knew it was walking time when I got it out.

Great that you r seeing a professional soon because they can see you and advise how to use the halt,.

I used a gentle leader as one of my dogs is reactive on leash to dogs. So on approaching another dog I used to ask my dog to sit and treat, like counter conditioning. With the halti I can prevent the dog from eyeballing another dog. With a back attaching head collar which I see so much in classes, the dog is reacting to another dog and can't think of anything else.

I teach that in class if a dog is reacting to another dog, if it doesn't recall immediately to a sit further away, calmly put a finger thru the halting and remove the dog from this situation. Like horses you control the head, you control the dog. But this is done with other types of exercises as well.

I'm sure your behaviorist will b a great help. Years ago I got help from one cause I adopted two rescue dogs nearly at once. Such an eye opener.

Good luck!

Thank you for your replies everyone. After reading all your replies, I've made a decision based on skip's comment "With the halti I can prevent the dog from eyeballing another dog." As Jack is quite fear aggressive, I need to be able to redirect his gaze and I'm not sure a rear-clipping halter would give me that option.

I've been using Casper's old Black Dog Halter but find when he lowers his head to sniff at something, the halter forms a loop that he sometimes gets his paws caught up in. I've been looking at getting him a "Dogalter" halter so if anyone has any feedback on those, I'd love to hear it!

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the halti, gentle leader and the black dog one on our previous dog ... and our boy ended up slicing open his nose and pulling out of a number of them ... because once he found he couldn't go forward he backed up and pulled shaking his head.

It was ok for normal walking and if I could get his attention before he reacted and moved him away ... but if he started reacting then it did very little to control him and he always ended up getting hurt ... and don't forget to back-up collar.