Extreme Separation Anxiety

Loba

Please help

The dog in question is five years old a mixed breed - pig dog

She has always lived with my 26 year old daugher with other flatmates or other dogs. Recently however due to a change in careers my daughter has moved into a new home where she lives alone except for Poppy (the dog)

P{oppy is screaming, crying and howling when left alone during the day now. What can you all suggest please? Poppy is very well-trained but not what I would call well-behaved.

Generally pigdogs have sighthound in the mix and separation anxiety is very common with them.

I just came across a site called www.dogshare.com.au where you can meet other locals who can help with dog minding etc.

Frequently another dog fixes the anxiety issue. Chinese herbs are also worth looking at, she's obviously very, very unhappy as she is. Even behavioural modification doesn't always fix the anxiety, with most Italian Greyhounds for instance, it's another dog that is def. required.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

I would second trying underdog first, they were brilliant at helping our kelpie overcome her separation anxiety, and become a more confident, outgoing dog.

Conventional medications from our vet were also a saviour for us.

Consider a adaptil collar or spray in the short term which make your dog feel more safe and calm, and may help with the transition to a new quieter household.

I use these guys, they do house visits and I'm pretty close to your daughter's suburb.

A new dog day care has just opened up bundoora, I can grab the details from the store tomorrow as I don't remember what they were called. I paid attention because they had a behaviourist and vet attached to them, i think.

Edited by Thistle the dog

My bad, I don't know why I thought it was Bundoora. Maybe because all the other things they advertise are. It's the next suburb over in Thomastown.

tumblr_o23nkbaNmC1qh8fino1_1280.jpg

The store manager seems pretty happy with it last week, she must be talking about it a lot because when I grabbed the pamphlet the person today told me their store manager goes there for her husky with separation anxiety.

Eta: here's the facebook

I also grabbed some pamphlets of local obedience trainers who do house visits if your daughter wants them.

Edited by Thistle the dog

I've had a sheltie with separation anxiety ... so severe, she'd rip the sunroom cushions to shreds when left alone.

I took her to a vet dog behaviourist at UQ ... & it was brilliant. In one session, she explained what's going on with separation anxiety ... & it wasn't what I'd thought.

Then she gave us a list of things to do consistently with Shelly. Which all, then, made sense based on her explanation. Within a couple of weeks there was a huge difference ...then never did the sheltie have it again.

So I second the advice to get assistance from a dog behaviourist.

Edited by mita

Get professional help. But I don't think there are any reliable quick fixes.

One of my greys has SA. What helped her was greyhound number 2 but it's taken years until I'm feeling more confident about her. But you do need to be careful about adding another dog. It might help, but I've also heard of cases where the anxious dog taught dog 2 how to be anxious, which obviously isn't the desired outcome.

Alone training can also help, but it takes time and needs consistency. Starting with going through the motions of leaving (turning in dishwasher, picking up keys, bag, walking to door, opening door, closing door etc etc) until you leave the house for longer and longer periods, always stopping and returning before anxiety. This might mean several days of picking up the keys and putting them down again. Ideally you want the dog to end up being bored with the whole process. An Adaptil collar might also help in the training process.

As I said, Brandi improved with the addition of a second grey, but she's only really settled since I got her on an ongoing herbal supplement and added greyhounds three and four. A behaviourist will be able to help more.