Multi Day Trek/camp With Dog

LuccatheLagotto

I’m keen to take do a  4-6 day trek/camp with my dog. Can anyone recommend some good tracks or websites with such information. I’m in Sydney and am happy to drive a few hours to the start of the track.

Has anyone done this before – would be grateful for some tips re trekking/camping with dogs.

We’ve taken him camping before and he was fine to sleep in his crate in the car. But since we will be trekking to a new camp spot each night, he won’t have his crate. 

I take mine camping and. don't take a crate. Just pet futons and Jonah's bed. Jesse prefers sleeping in my swag or under the car in the dirt, Jonah sleeps on his bed next to my swag. If I was hiking I would just take a yoga mat with, maybe use it at home for a bit at 1st so they know what it's about

I'm just organizing a trekking tour with our dog for myself - the problem is that most (nearly every) known track is in NPs - no dogs allowed. I'm a little bit familiar with the area around Yalwal (west of Nowra - approx. 140 km from Sydney) and there are a lot of tracks outside the NP. Once I have done my planning I can send you a copy of the map.

I'm just organizing a trekking tour with our dog for myself - the problem is that most (nearly every) known track is in NPs - no dogs allowed. I'm a little bit familiar with the area around Yalwal (west of Nowra - approx. 140 km from Sydney) and there are a lot of tracks outside the NP. Once I have done my planning I can send you a copy of the map.

Worth looking into rail trails and travelling stock routes. :)

Worth looking into rail trails and travelling stock routes. :)

hm, yeah...the old stock routes ...very good idea!!!Thanks!

That'll be great, thanks Willem. I never thought to look into stock routes. I was thinking the State Parks around the Central Coast area, but haven't figured out exact route.

Think I'll just bring his vet bed and tie him to a tree or something. I like to know he hasn't wandered off in the night chasing wildlife.

Thanks for the warning, yes, that's a serious threat - it is also used here in NSW. We have a lot of foxes in our area and I recall seeing the signs quite often when we went 4Wdriving. Usually the bait is not used directly on tracks, but who knows for sure?...

You could look at parts ofthe Bicentennial National Trial.

http://www.bicentenn...altrail.com.au/

No - if you can, only some parts of it are dog friendly.

Q Can I take my dog?A No. Please leave dogs and other domestic pets at home.

IF you're taking a tent, dog can sleep in tent with you. My dog would either sleep in the same compartment or a vestibule depending on the make of tent.

Might be wise to check with the Department of Lands, or whatever they call themselves in NSW now; a lot of crown roads and travelling stock reserves are being sold off to landowners who previously held enclosure permits or leases. We have had this problem where we used to walk our dogs, the TSR has been bought by a hunter so now there is no access for the public.

There are a few rail trails in NSW - many more in victoria - they're mainly designated for cyclists but they're available to anyone who wants to access them - they're shares paths which follow along old train tracks - worth looking into - there is one that I know of in toronto (Cnetral coast NSW) I don't know it's distance.

Otherwise, my dad has ridden a number in Victoria.

He's a very vocal supporter trying to get them up and running in NSW.