Distance Work Gear Comparisons Questions

Not the dog park! One on one sessions with Dididog and a couple of other dogs on my approved dogs list. All one on one dogs though. Not groups.

Am not sure how to proof recall from high distractions like playing with dogs without a lead?

There are some great ways to do this without using long lines. First, super high value rewards around recalls. Then work with your dog on leash and another person. Ask your dog for a behaviour. As a reward tell your dog to "go seep" the other person (who makes a real fuss), then calll once and party and reward like crazy. If your dog doesn't come on the first call, quietly go over and walk them away (your dog needs to think having their collar grabbed is an awesome thing so prime this behaviour before you start). From there you have heaps of variations to work with....maybe other dog is quietly sitting next to owner on leash and so doesn't tempt play before you call back.

Not the dog park! One on one sessions with Dididog and a couple of other dogs on my approved dogs list. All one on one dogs though. Not groups.

Am not sure how to proof recall from high distractions like playing with dogs without a lead?

There are some great ways to do this without using long lines. First, super high value rewards around recalls. Then work with your dog on leash and another person. Ask your dog for a behaviour. As a reward tell your dog to "go seep" the other person (who makes a real fuss), then calll once and party and reward like crazy. If your dog doesn't come on the first call, quietly go over and walk them away (your dog needs to think having their collar grabbed is an awesome thing so prime this behaviour before you start). From there you have heaps of variations to work with....maybe other dog is quietly sitting next to owner on leash and so doesn't tempt play before you call back.

Ah yes, pretty much what I do right now so we're on the right path! She'll recall on the 1.8 metre lead from calm nose sniffs/drivebywalks but has a harder time of it when either she or the other dog is excited*. We need to work on our thinking when excited, being calm and impulse control more. And practice, lots and lots of practice.

Or maybe I'm being a bit unfair too, to expect her to recall mid chasies with another dog/rabbits. But will strive to that skill nonetheless, I'll ask the lab guys if we can do some more involved nose sniffs.

Edited by Thistle the dog

They have arrived! Looking good, I'm absolutely stunned by how ORANGE the long line is. So vibrant.

The harness fits? I'm not sure if I'm putting it on correctly. What kind of looseness should it have? Her anatomy made it weird. The tummy strap is on the tightest, the middle strap is the middle and the neck strap on the loosest (hopefully less tight seeming when i'm not manhandling her). The strap between neck and chest I have made middling

I tried doing a support lift but most of it was pressure on her neck and tummy but not her chest, so I think I'm doing something wrong. I think that middle one is meant to be further back but not sure how?

12677614_1067315163326616_351048968_n.jpg

Tomorrow night I will cover the long line with nailbiter stuff, as she seems to dislike it hanging off her back and is suspicious of it following her. Will hopefully get her out of the habit, managed to do it for the short leads. The other long line has half a metre of chain so she hasn't been able to bite loose.

But overall, am pleased :p Current failings are working out how to put it on and dog's biting habits.

The bucket is also nifty (got it for visiting birds) and can't wait to introduce that tug.

Edited by Thistle the dog

Looking good Thistle!

The harness looks good to me, I am glad we didn't go any larger. You don't want it super tight but you do want it to be fitted. The webmaster was definitely the best choice for her, I don't think you'd get a great fit with other styles given her body shape (same reason why they are so popular with sight hound owners with dogs like Whippets).