Breeding Blue Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Meg_1985

Hi Meg,

Good for you for wanting to do things right. You are off to a great start. An important thing to understand if you are going to breed is that no dog is perfect. As breeders we need to understand their faults, failings and weaknesses (and those of the dog we plan to use) so that we may breed to the best advantage and not double up on anything we may not want. Understanding our dogs faults, failings and weaknesses as well as their virtues does not mean that we love them any less or that they are not perfect as our pets. This separation of the two - being able to see our dogs from the loving eye of a pet owner and the critical eye of a breeder both at the same time - is something that many find difficult. My partner finds it hard to do, which is why I am the one to make the breeding decisions ;-) . If you want to be a breeder though, it will be important that you learn to develop a critical eye when it comes to assessing your dogs. Your dog WILL have faults and failings that you need to take into account. EVERY dog does.

It can take time to develop and eye to see them though, which is why I suggest a mentor if you can. Joining a breed club and making friends with some breeders, going along to shows, finding some good forums to be on, joining groups such as 'Canine Show Dog Evaluations' on Facebook, getting a copy of some of Pat Hastings books etc (I recommend the book 'Structure in Action' and her 'Puppy Puzzle' DVD). These will all help you to learn, put you in contact with people who can help steer you in the right direction and help you find the right dog for your bitch if you do decide to breed her.

Be aware though that sometimes the right and hardest thing for a breeder to do is decide NOT to breed a dog. My first breeding prospect (who was also my first champion) was never bred. I decided she was not a dog I wished to breed for a range of reasons. This dog was my heart dog. She was the most wonderful perfect dog in my 'pet owner' eyes. She really could not be any better. But to my critical 'breeder eyes', I knew she was not a good breeding prospect and would not give me the start I desired. As a result she was desexed and stayed that perfect dog. It was a very good decision for me, as when I did finally breed a litter it was way better than I would have ever got from her. But don't think she was 'wasted' as far as breeding goes - every dog teaches us and provides us with opportunities to learn. The ones we don't breed as much as those we do. As we love them, they teach us (the biggest lesson IMO being the need for patience and the need to always keep learning). Good luck on your journey.

Edited by espinay2

Excellent post Espinay, the best yet. An excellent way to explain things in a non judgemental and easy to understand fashion.

I would have tried to say the same thing, but it would not have come across nearly so well. :D

Meg, please take this on board, it comes from a wealth of experience and with the very best, honest and correct intentions.

all the very best in your venture

I read the breed standards and she is beautiful and I made sure her bloodline of blue wasn't too long to negate genetic fault. My mum was an RSPCA foster carer while I was a child and I have been too for many years and understand that breeding is for the future of a breed not for colour. We really wanted a blue but I'm not breeding for blues and will definitely stud with a strong colour with a great disposition, form and feature. Including DNA testing and HC and L2HGA testing. That you again everyone who replied. I will continue to research and talk to as many breeders as I can.

The Stafford breed standard doesn't call for "beautiful" as far as I am aware?

Definitely attend some shows and find yourself a mentor within in the breed.

The breeder I got her from just bred blues and didnt seem interested in discussing genetic diversity.
That really doesn't sound like a breeder Id be buying show/breeding potential dogs off :(

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet, after all even a stopped clock is right twice a day :)

Some good judges of conformation to assess this girl along with some understanding of the lines and whether or not they have the desirable depth for a good breeding prospect will give a good indication of whether or not the dog in question is likely to produce good examples of the breed. If she is both the perfect dog as a pet as well as a good example of the breed the lines may be the litmus test to decide whether the dog is a fluke or whether she may be a good future prospect. Basically follow Espinay's post to the letter and you can't go wrong :)

While horses are a bit different sometimes you do come across a diamond in the rough, a friend recently picked up a horse from the dogger pens (destined for slaughter), he looked rather scruffy but she recognised a nice pony under it all. Turns out he was an extremely successful and well bred show pony from a top stud. A good and practiced eye for conformation and type is a lifesaver in more ways than one sometimes.

Thank you for your all of your advice. It was very helpful. I won't be showing her as she is a blue and not a recognised colour. I checked her for temperament, structure, soundness and genetic fault. The breeder I got her from just bred blues and didnt seem interested in discussing genetic diversity. I won't be jumping on the current trend for breeding blue on blue for colours sake so I will definitely look into the stud option with no blue behind it and assess what traits I need for stinger pups. I still have a lot to learn and will explore all avenues to ensure I know as much possible before I start breeding. Thank you again.

What is driving you to breed, to make money or to enhance the status of the breed?

A very unhelpful reply which offers no advice at all. Many people are put off coming on here & asking for advice & questioning things when starting out as some of the replies they get are not so nice at all. Fortunately if they can see through the negative there is good advice & much to be learned.

The person is obviously asking intelligent questions with the intention of doing things in the right way.

I cannot answer the questions as I am not familiar with the breed but not directly in answer to the question posted the one thing I have found after breeding for quite a long time is that you do need to study, research & know your lines. It is not always a case of putting 2 dogs together that have lots of champions in the pedigree. Certain pairs do not produce the best pups despite the paperwork.

My now retired bitch with the great pedigree never produced any outstanding pups with different studs but the bitch with the mediocre, not shown lines produced really excellent pups.

Best of luck for your future breeding plans.