Disabled Dog And Rally O

My sister owns a 2year old English Springer who is disabled. He was rolled on by his dam at birth and it was recommended by the vets to PTS him as he was only a few days old. She didn't PTS him and my sister has taken him on. He is in an advanced class at his Dog Club and my sister is interested in Rally O for him but I don't think the club takes it too serious because of his disability. His front leg is not joined to the shoulder and just hangs, because of this he may not always be able to sit as straight as needed. Would he be marked down for this in a trial? Just wondering, my sister seems to be too shy to ask questions at her club and feels a bit intimidated.

Rally O is a lot less strict about how tight the heel work is compared to standard obedience. As long as the lead stays loose. But there is some fuzziness in the rules that allows for judge's opinion on what an "accurate heel" looks like - dragging behind or pulling in front of the handler is obvious. But leaning on the handler or leaving an air gap or head position and attention? Subjective.

Is there any mock trials (with other clubs) coming up that your sister could try?

ankc.org.au/media/4384/rallyo-rules_2016.pdf

The best thing to do would be to show up at a rally trial and talk to a judge during a break or someone who judges (from another club) and ask them.

Judges often love talking about judging - afterwards or during a break or the briefing (if there is one).

Before a competition gets started - ie if the judge has everything set up 20 minutes before start time - that might be a good time to show them what sit looks like with the dog - and they can see if that's a "straight sit" for that dog. Ideally the dog would not roll over onto their hip but fully support on the good leg. But it depends on what bits of the dog work properly.

Probably also want a note from the vet to say rally is ok for that dog. In case it looks like the dog is in pain. Some people leap to incorrect conclusions.

The only description of a "poor sit" I could find is where the dog's butt is swung out from the handler line by more than 45'. Not if the dog's butt has rolled under. It's something you'd have to ask a judge.

http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~may/rally.html

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

I see your sisters dog is a springer. If your sister is interested in just doing some sport with her dog maybe noseworks would b worth looking at. We have a three legged staff in our class atm that is mad for this.

Even if the dog might b marked down maybe still give it a go. Great bonding and learning experience anyway. Maybe club members r concerned too much for the dog otherwise I would not discourage anyone from having a go.

How does the dog go doing all the pivoting required? Then there is jumping at the higher levels.

You would be losing points for crooked sits etc but a pass should still be achievable. I am just concerned about how the dog is going to go with some of the other exercises. Even things like side stepping are going to be challenging.

Has the leg actually been amputated? Totally irrelevant to this thread but relevant to the dogs quality of life and mobility.

I would be training the dog to have a very clear understanding of the behaviours. Obedience FUNdamentals by Hanna Brannigan does a great job of breaking down all the behaviours into tiny parts to allow effective communication of the task to the dog. This will allow the dog to perform better than the fully functional dogs and show everyone at the club that you just work harder for things when there is a limitation but you can still achieve greatness. Best of luck- happy to consult re the conditioning and body awareness side of things if your sister needs assistance.

My sister owns a 2year old English Springer who is disabled. He was rolled on by his dam at birth and it was recommended by the vets to PTS him as he was only a few days old. She didn't PTS him and my sister has taken him on. He is in an advanced class at his Dog Club and my sister is interested in Rally O for him but I don't think the club takes it too serious because of his disability. His front leg is not joined to the shoulder and just hangs, because of this he may not always be able to sit as straight as needed. Would he be marked down for this in a trial? Just wondering, my sister seems to be too shy to ask questions at her club and feels a bit intimidated.

When judging, one also looks for consistency, if the disability is obvious, I would not stress over crooked sits if the

dog sits roughly the same every halt, stand, drop, etc.........The Rules do allow for a judge to declare a dog unfit to compete so I would advise that the handler has a veterinary certificate stating the dog is OK to work, this can be produced if there are any questions asked. Many three legged dogs have successfully trialled across the disciplines, there used to be a tripod poodle in NSW years ago? Victoria has guidelines for disabled handlers for judges, handlers and clubs.......I think the same common sense approach would apply to dogs. If the dog is happy and handling the wo0rk, I would love to judge him, but he has to look like he really wants to be there!!!

When judging, one also looks for consistency, if the disability is obvious, I would not stress over crooked sits if the

dog sits roughly the same every halt, stand, drop, etc.........The Rules do allow for a judge to declare a dog unfit to compete so I would advise that the handler has a veterinary certificate stating the dog is OK to work, this can be produced if there are any questions asked. Many three legged dogs have successfully trialled across the disciplines, there used to be a tripod poodle in NSW years ago? Victoria has guidelines for disabled handlers for judges, handlers and clubs.......I think the same common sense approach would apply to dogs. If the dog is happy and handling the wo0rk, I would love to judge him, but he has to look like he really wants to be there!!!

:offtopic: Sorry to go off topic but dragonwoman do you have a link to the bolded part?

Has the leg actually been amputated? Totally irrelevant to this thread but relevant to the dogs quality of life and mobility.

I would be training the dog to have a very clear understanding of the behaviours. Obedience FUNdamentals by Hanna Brannigan does a great job of breaking down all the behaviours into tiny parts to allow effective communication of the task to the dog. This will allow the dog to perform better than the fully functional dogs and show everyone at the club that you just work harder for things when there is a limitation but you can still achieve greatness. Best of luck- happy to consult re the conditioning and body awareness side of things if your sister needs assistance.

No he hasn't had his leg amputated. At 1st when he was a pup it was looked at, but now they saying to leave it be..and he does use the leg a little.

I will look at that book by Hanna Brannigan and thank you for the consult offer, I will let my sister know.

Thank you..I will be up to watch him in March!