Why Do You Trial?

I have a young dog here who is almost ready to compete for her CCD and I am not sure if that is what I want to do. I have trialled successfully before with several dogs and it made me anxious. I have better control of my anxiety these days but I am not sure that it is what I want to do. Should I be doing it for her because I know she will do well - she is a beautiful heeler - or even should I be doing it because I know she will do well and I keep telling myself that it's important to be the best you can be in life (me not her). Is trialling the be-all and end-all of dog training? Don't suggest agility etc because I am too old and it is not safe and she may have patella problems.

So the question is: Why do you trial? What motivates you?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started out I was never going to trial, then I thought I'd try just one. Then I got hooked.

I can't really answer why I trial, but I think it boils down to testing my training/dogs against others. I'll admit I'm very competitive and enjoy outside validation.

I don't care if I win or not, in fact I probably prefer it when I'm not winning because it gives me something to aim for.

I don't enjoy trialing and after years of competing with dogs and horses I just decided to not do it anymore! It didn't make me happy and just caused stress. I love training though and will continue to train my dogs to a high standard. About to tackle the new Rally masters signs this year.

Most people don't get it but that is their problem not mine. I get heaps of crap about it.

I don't even care about winning. I've won stuff at the highest standard in horse showing and have been happy for the pony's breeder but not that happy for me.

I like competing with my dogs, I think we both enjoy it. I'm guessing people who trial are all competitive (or goal-orientated) to some extent or you could just train your dog in your park or at club training. So I will say I like doing well with them, that is not necessarily winning although it can be depending on the sport and the dog. I have different goals I want to achieve for different dogs and sports. To me having goals is part of the enjoyment I get out of it. I love running Scout the Brittany in agility but she is not fast enough to win against all the border collies in her height category so getting clear rounds is my goal with her. Same with Rally, my goals with Gael and Kep are to get 100 and preferably the fastest time, but with Scout it was to qualify.

I like going to competitions and hanging out with other doggy people. I mainly compete these days in Agility and Rally and I like both of them equally. I like competing in obedience type stuff with the right dog and am not currently competing in obedience but may with one of the dogs I have now. I spectate and steward at field trials that my husband runs in but I don't run a dog in them. I have been known to not enter an agility trial to go watch Scout blaze up a hill at a field trial.

I do have to wonder why some of the VERY VERY nervous people you see put themselves through the stress. I enjoy dog sports as my hobby away from my full time day job, but I hate competing in the rain, so I'm not going to give up my weekends being miserable in the rain, I will scratch and stay home instead :laugh:

I don't enjoy trialing and after years of competing with dogs and horses I just decided to not do it anymore! It didn't make me happy and just caused stress. I love training though and will continue to train my dogs to a high standard. About to tackle the new Rally masters signs this year.

Most people don't get it but that is their problem not mine. I get heaps of crap about it.

I don't even care about winning. I've won stuff at the highest standard in horse showing and have been happy for the pony's breeder but not that happy for me.

See I love that you recognise that Jules and choose to train and not trial :thumbsup:

I think I'd like to trial more - tho I get very anxious about it. So many things can go wrong.

I love the training except once you get into trialing and title at my club they expect you to go up to the trialing class and run full courses.

And that's the bit I don't like... sitting around waiting for my turn like I'm waiting for the bus cos the second I get distracted (eg warm the dog up?) I lose my place in the queue. ARGH.

At least at a real trial - you've got numbers and a fixed order but that doesn't seem to happen at training. Though - I reckon if I got a 600 dog (tall kelpie?) then there would be more action and less waiting...

I don't deal well with sitting around waiting when I could be working on stations or something. Stewarding at trials can be more fun - cos I'm always doing something.

Thank you for the replies. I tend to be like JulesP, and I have not trialled for a few years even though my last dog would have got her CDX if I had persisted.

My club has four levels before trialling. At our comp day before the Christmas break my new dog (Trixie) was promoted to level 3 and today my first day back the instructor in the level 3 class decided Trixie should skip that level and go up to level 4 which is the pre-trialling class. She is an amazing dog and is already working at a CCD standard in her heeling, recalls and stays. I just need to work a little more on her stand for exam.

I know she is good but I get so nervous even before class and I don't enjoy it. Does this mean I am letting her down? Should I let my anxiety rule my life? It's interesting to read that some people actually enjoy competition and, while they don't like losing, fear of it does not hold them back.

If it's any consolation sars, my lack of anxiety and enjoying the moment has been a conscious learning process - it does NOT come naturally but it's much more fun since I set myself that challenge. I'm a bit nervous beforehand but the instant I step to the line or into the ring there is nobody watching. Just me and my dog playing together.

If it's any consolation sars, my lack of anxiety and enjoying the moment has been a conscious learning process - it does NOT come naturally but it's much more fun since I set myself that challenge. I'm a bit nervous beforehand but the instant I step to the line or into the ring there is nobody watching. Just me and my dog playing together.

:thumbsup: That is a really healthy way to look at it. Perhaps I should try it.

:thumbsup: That is a really healthy way to look at it. Perhaps I should try it.

Start by turning your training sessions into beautiful moments of focus - give your dog 100%. She needs you. That's how I do it - I've done 2 retrieving, 1 agility and 3 Dalmatian Nationals over the last 6 years and it's getting easier - big stages can be scary but my dogs need me to be present and in the moment for them. Training becomes meditative. It's my escape.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Thanks TSD. Normally I don't mind failing especially with computer related activities but I do hate failing at a dog trial. I think I feel embarrassed. My first trial my dog ran away into the next ring. Was I red-faced and apologetic?

I have a question about ringcraft and I don't want to start a new thread so perhaps you can help me. I have been searching for information about figures of eight and I can't find anything. I used to know but I have forgotten. Which circle do you do first - the one with the dog on the outside or on the inside. I think it is the one with the dog on the outside because hopefully it still has momentum. Also do you do the figure of eight as two equal circles, two sectors, or two triangles?

We were originally taught to enter the figure of 8, where possible, with the dog on the inside, nearest the post, for the first time, just to remind the dog what was happening. But sometimes a judge will have a pattern where that is not possible, so IMHO you need to be comfortable going either way .. and then that translates nicely to Rally. My own personal take on the figure, and what seems to work for people I train with, is to concentrate on the centre spot .. I even put a little marker down there sometimes, and make sure that you're aiming at that as you work through the figure. Then you start making the turn smoothly as you get pretty much level with the post/person .. I start with my feet slightly turning (pre-cue to the dog, and stops me being too sudden) and a slight shoulder pull-back .. shoulder nearest the post .. this cues the dog to drop back (left shoulder .. remember the looking back at the lagging dog makes him go back further .. well, you actually want the dog slightly holding back when he's next to the post), or come slightly forward .. right shoulder back, which forms part of your turn, and keeps the dog coming forward to see where you're going.

As you're coming out of each turn, you are aiming directly at your centre point ,, continue in a straight line through that, and start your next turn.

In training, you can accentuate the shoulder pull .. and reward the dog for a good response to that as it happens. As you practise, your movements will become smoother, and the dog will need less obvious cues, so that by the time you take it in the ring, it looks very smooth .. the foot turning and ever so slight shoulder movements are just part of your body making the turn.

Of course, it goes without saying that the dog needs to know where heel position is.

Hope that makes some sense.

For the social aspect.

To test my training.

To have fun with my dogs.

To enjoy that awesome energy that comes with both success and failure.

To accept that perfection is not necessary.

To experience the connection and the joy whether we win, lose or DQ.

Yep, and yep! :thumbsup: Try 20 years, TSD. But I'm finally getting to the stage where I can see the trial primarily as a way of testing my training .. you're asking the dog "Can you ......". And if the answer is "Yes" .celebrate, if not, analyse. Where are the holes? How can I fix them? There's a lack of clarity of understanding and communication, and hence a lack of confidence.

We were originally taught to enter the figure of 8, where possible, with the dog on the inside, nearest the post, for the first time, just to remind the dog what was happening. But sometimes a judge will have a pattern where that is not possible, so IMHO you need to be comfortable going either way .. and then that translates nicely to Rally. My own personal take on the figure, and what seems to work for people I train with, is to concentrate on the centre spot .. I even put a little marker down there sometimes, and make sure that you're aiming at that as you work through the figure. Then you start making the turn smoothly as you get pretty much level with the post/person .. I start with my feet slightly turning (pre-cue to the dog, and stops me being too sudden) and a slight shoulder pull-back .. shoulder nearest the post .. this cues the dog to drop back (left shoulder .. remember the looking back at the lagging dog makes him go back further .. well, you actually want the dog slightly holding back when he's next to the post), or come slightly forward .. right shoulder back, which forms part of your turn, and keeps the dog coming forward to see where you're going.

As you're coming out of each turn, you are aiming directly at your centre point ,, continue in a straight line through that, and start your next turn.

In training, you can accentuate the shoulder pull .. and reward the dog for a good response to that as it happens. As you practise, your movements will become smoother, and the dog will need less obvious cues, so that by the time you take it in the ring, it looks very smooth .. the foot turning and ever so slight shoulder movements are just part of your body making the turn.

Of course, it goes without saying that the dog needs to know where heel position is.

Hope that makes some sense.

This is all sound advice and it really should not matter which way you go if the dog can heel, Fig 8 is about the dog maintaining heel position at varying paces if you think about it

Thanks TSD. Normally I don't mind failing especially with computer related activities but I do hate failing at a dog trial. I think I feel embarrassed. My first trial my dog ran away into the next ring. Was I red-faced and apologetic?

I have a question about ringcraft and I don't want to start a new thread so perhaps you can help me. I have been searching for information about figures of eight and I can't find anything. I used to know but I have forgotten. Which circle do you do first - the one with the dog on the outside or on the inside. I think it is the one with the dog on the outside because hopefully it still has momentum. Also do you do the figure of eight as two equal circles, two sectors, or two triangles?

More than glad to help if I can - one thing that helps that "who cares what others think" is having a supportive and positive group you can talk to and problem solve with. For me that is mostly online courses - an amazing community of people who all want each other to taste success (I think Tassie can attest to this, be it Fenzi or SG) - a little in person but I'm selective who I take advice from. My puppy buyers are amazing people too and I just love working with them - having a puppy from the litter they get to see and laugh at LOTS of our failures :laugh: Surround yourself with people who see you as you would like to see yourself...

For the second part, I think Tassie and dragon woman both have valid points of view. Personally I try to look at it as two equal, seamless circles - I usually start with the inside circle but I can't remember why (there definitely was a reason!!) Another great tip is to practice your figure 8 without your dog and get your feet moving almost one directly in front of the other - it's much easier for the dog to pick your line on a small, tight circle. Keep your speed the same but take smaller or bigger steps as necessary so it's smooth for the dog. Those little things made a huge difference to my dog. Also with heel work I do LOTS of circle work - big circles, little circles, dog inside, dog outside, changing speed up and down and building so much duration into the behaviour that a couple of minutes in the ring becomes an absolute breeze for the dog.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Totally agree about the supportive communities .. both online and in perron. We're lucky to have a supportive little Fenzi group down here. I'm not sure whether it's luck, or following training gurus, or both, but I have a dog who loves to heel, and is pretty accurate. He's actually very happy to show off his heeling if we abandon an agility course that's gone belly up and the trial is running late, like yesterday... It was partly my fault, but I wanted to go out of the ring under control, but not in disgrace :) , so we did pretty heeling :D . I was happy with that, as it indicates to me he is seeing the whole thing as a game, and a chance to show off, which is what I want. Then that attitude rubs off on me.

Thank you for the replies especially re figures of eight. When I trialed before I did not find other trialers at all supportive. I thought they were cliquey which is one of the reasons why I did not enjoy it. Perhaps I came across as unfriendly though because I was so stressed out.

I have been checking out calendars for future trials here where I live and there are not many. About 4-5 to the end of this year. That is a lot of waiting around for that third pass. :)

I have not decided which way I will go yet. I know she could title quite easily (she is such a good heeler) but she could also learn lots of tricks and maybe that would be more enjoyable.