Fresh Dry Food

DobieMum

Like the title says, fresh dry food (kibble) what is its shelf life? I can't find it on my dog food packets.

Expiry will be stamped somewhere on the bag. I believe it depends on the brand and a few other things.

Interestingly I read somewhere recently that the date is only for a sealed bag. Once it's open it should be all used up in 2 weeks (ideally) and it's absolute best practice if you can store it in an air tight, non-plastic container - eg Glass, out of sunlight and away from extreme heat.

Just checked my kibble - it has an exp date of 17/10/16 - no idea when it was manufactured.

I find Ziwipeak tends to have a very long shelf life.

I only buy small bags to help with the freshness. Poppy doesn't care but Amber starts spitting it out when I get near the end of a bag so she must be able to taste a difference in it. She is the world's fussiest dog though.

I only buy small bags to help with the freshness. Poppy doesn't care but Amber starts spitting it out when I get near the end of a bag so she must be able to taste a difference in it. She is the world's fussiest dog though.

Me too - Scottie is really fussy - before the move I'd only get the smallest bag possible (1.8 kg I think) - now I can only get a larger size so we make do.

Regardless of whether it is open or not.

Nope - I politely disagree - Once it's open and air is circulating it is more than plausible it will go off faster - similar to UHT milk - its fine and stable to sit there - but should be used within 7 days of opening.

I've often thought the same thing. This one dodgy face book article backed me up ;)

Use within 6 weeks once open I have been told. All though none of the dog food is hermetically sealed so it's only really airborne bacteria and humidity that can affect it. I try and get most of the air out and close the bag with clothes pegs if need be.

Edited by Canetoad

Use within 6 weeks once open I have been told. All though none of the dog food is hermetically sealed so it's only really airborne bacteria and humidity that can affect it. I try and get most of the air out and close the bag with clothes pegs if need be.

This "article" I read ( I use the term lightly) said it was more to do with oils in the kibble going off. I actually said on another thread the other day - I once saw (on Oprah) that you should store nuts and other oily foods in the fridge to help stop the oils going rancid. Which is why this statement about kibble rang true - made lots of sense.

I was more wondering the shelf life of an unopened bag?

I think, if you can't find the date on the packet you'd have to check with the feed shop / pet shop or call the manufacturer. As I said above - my kibble (VIP grain free) has an exp date of 17/10/16 - no idea when it was manufactured. That is stamped bottom of the back part of the packate. In the centre.

We also have some ziwipeak here - the exp date is on a sticker - which could come off with not much effort - same location as the VIP. We got the Ziwi before xmas and it has an exp. date of Aug 2017.

I went onto the Ziwi website and it says it has a shelf life of 21 months from manufacture, once opened it should be used within 8 weeks.

Hope that helps. :)

I think all kibbles have a sell by date by law?

But yes, once opened/unsealed and exposed to the elements there'll be a period of time before it goes off, as with any foodstuff. Kibble tends to last a long time but it depends on many factors. For example, kibble in Darwin will go off quicker than kibble in Perth, due to humidity...

Regardless of whether it is open or not.

Nope - I politely disagree - Once it's open and air is circulating it is more than plausible it will go off faster - similar to UHT milk - its fine and stable to sit there - but should be used within 7 days of opening.

I've often thought the same thing. This one dodgy face book article backed me up ;)

Actually very true - you never know what sort of contaminants are floating around the consumer's home environment, they could live in a filthy state and expect shelf life despite poor storing conditions.

There should be a date stamped on all bags sold legitimately though.

I don't know if things have changed but I worked for one of the multinational major pet food manufacturers for a long while. The product had a shelf life for dry kibble of 18 months from date of manufacture.

Treats (hard biscuits) were 12 months, cans were 24 months.

Once opened it was recommended that food be stored in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight. It could also be frozen without loss of nutrients. There was no specific guideline on how long you could keep a bag of kibble open for.

I don't know if things have changed but I worked for one of the multinational major pet food manufacturers for a long while. The product had a shelf life for dry kibble of 18 months from date of manufacture.

Once opened it was recommended that food be stored in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight. It could also be frozen without loss of nutrients. There was no specific guideline on how long you could keep a bag of kibble open for.

The best before date is not a hard date ie 5 days after that date means it can't be eaten. The date is the date that the manufacturer is stating that the nutritional composition of the product will still be as stated on packaging and any vitamins and minerals which are claimed to be providing a benefit, will still provide that benefit.

This is the same rational that applies to the majority of food products for humans.

It's common sense that if you don't store it properly once opened then the quality will degrade more quickly.

The best before date is not a hard date ie 5 days after that date means it can't be eaten. The date is the date that the manufacturer is stating that the nutritional composition of the product will still be as stated on packaging and any vitamins and minerals which are claimed to be providing a benefit, will still provide that benefit.

This is the same rational that applies to the majority of food products for humans.

It's common sense that if you don't store it properly once opened then the quality will degrade more quickly.

Absolutely. I have fed it after the best before date and never had any issues. But the manufacturer would never recommend it as an option of course :)

You'd be surprised how many people don't have the common sense to store it properly. It was quite amazing what some people expect the kibble to survive in optimum condition! :laugh: