Crate For Puppy

swain

Same as HW and Rebanne.

If a puppy is crated and urgently has to go, it's going to happen whether they can get away from where they sleep or not. Personally, I'd prefer they were at least able to move away from their own urine and not forced to stand or sit in it.

My puppy was flown so I did opt to purchase a puppy sized crate. The price of the crate was relatively small. In my case though it was also a matter of convenience as the puppy crate took up a lot less room in the bedroom then a full size adult crate would.

The crates we use come with a crate divider so I buy an adult size crate and use the divider. If the breeder has kept the pups clean they generally won't want to toilet in their crate. Pups that aren't so fortunate can be a lot harder to toilet and crate train and would benefit from a smaller crate/divider

Edited by huski

I bought a crate with a divider because Fern was such a tiny puppy. It was winter and I could make her snug in the part she used. Didn't have any accidents in the crate as I was determined to get toilet training right.

She could still use only half the crate but now she shares with 2 kittens and a cat.

Generally an adult sized crate here too (though I have a couple of smaller ones for smaller dogs I have had in the past so use them just because I have them). With a big crate, you can either buy one with a divider if you want the option, or what I havedone on occasion is get a huge stuffed toy (one of those over sized teddy bears for example) and put in it to fill up some of the space. Added bonus is they like cuddling up to the toy.

Edited by espinay2

I have my puppy in a pen during the day when I can't watch her, so she has more room to play and stretch out and a crate at night, adult size. She has been really good about keeping her pen clean, but if we were having toilet trouble I would leave her in a crate unless she had been outside to toilet recently.

Great idea with teddy in crate espinay2!!

Casima how long does pup stay in pen? While at work or shorter periods? Haven't even started addressing the work/pup situation!! We don't have him yet

At first only short periods and grow it as her bladder strength and toilet training progresses, now she is 4 months I will leave her happily for a few hours since she can hold on that long, I don't know that she would last a whole work day yet, haven't tried sorry although she can hold on all night and has done since 8 weeks so maybe she would be ok. Enjoy your new pup!